The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: How Do You Present/Sell Your Show? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
In the other thread about how magicians are viewed the discussion progressed into essentially how we are perceived and how we present and sell our services. We often hear magicians say they don't like, aren't good, or even despise the business side of performing which also likely means they aren't really good at presenting and selling their services.

I hear from my coaching applicants it is one of the most common issues, wants and concerns. Also, in reality, another issue that comes up most often is "I need to get more bookings" which also really is more about how they are (or are not) presenting and selling their services/business.

Many don't know how to do it, others haven't a clue. So my question is how do you present and sell your services?

Your entire closing and conversion ratio is dependent on this. It is one of the most important elements in business.

Also in the other thread the OP mentioned he preferred "in-person" presenting/selling (vs. via phone, emails, etc.) I think this is a magicians thing as other than rare exception I can't think of many other types of entertainers to would want or prefer this, at least initially until the prospect was developed or qualified.

So how do you sell your services? Any tips, techniques, outlines, or approaches would be interesting to hear. How difficult or much of a struggle is it for you? How comfortable are you with it? Just curious.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I really do not enjoy marketing and selling, but I realize it is a big part of the business. I have tried literally knocking on doors, I have done mass mailings, I hired a telemarketer once, I have written articles in magazines, and have placed advertisements in magazines as well as on social media. Bottom line, the activity that creates the best return on my investment is this: I pick up the phone and start calling. For some people, this is difficult. For me it is not. I make a list off the Internet and just call. The goal is to talk to a decision maker, but this is not always possible. I keep a record of my calls so that when I make a call back I have some history to refer to. it is kind of a numbers game. If you make enough calls, eventually a connection is made. Good connections get put on my e-mail list for mailings and my occasional newsletter. The other thing I do is I make sure I make a comment during my shows that I have several services which I provide: closeup, stage, adults, children, etc. This is what I am doing right now, and along with my repeat customers, and booking agents work, my buisness doubled in 2022 compared to 2021. This year's numbers are currently on track to repeat 2023 volume.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
That is great to hear. Yes, many across the board (all types of live entertainment) are having record years with last year and already for this year.

I think your explanation shows that as entertainment business owners we must do many things to generate and keep business and bookings. There is no magic pill. I have always said the best form of advertising and the best resource for getting bookings is having a top-notch, well-rehearsed, mass-appeal show. There is nothing better. You should be getting booking from every show you do, and as you said promoting or seeding within your show is one of the best ways (and absolutely free) to get new and future bookings. Of course there is a right way to do this, and many wrong and ineffective ways as this too is all part of the art of entertainment. If a performer is not doing this they are doing something wrong and leaving money on the table.

I agree about the picking up the phone, actually I couldn't agree more. For years we have had a sign on the wall of my office and of my agency's office that says "Dialing For Dollars - when you need to get bookings now, pick up the d**n phone!" This also couldn't be more true. While I don't recommend Cold-Calling, there are other ways to get bookings from the phones. Cold-Calling can work but as you said that is a numbers game. So as long as you know it, that is fine too. You usually have to make between 50 and 100 calls (maybe less once you are good) to get to the point of getting a few bookings, but hey, that's all part of operating a business.

Best of all, everything we're discussing here is all free of cost and only takes up your time and effort with the proper knowledge. One of the problems I have discovered is that many waste their time and efforts in Cold-Calling for the exact topic of this thread - they do not properly know how to present and sell their services. They attempt to do it very off-the-cuff, and in my opinion too casually. Also, it can come off as very amaturish and desperate if not done properly and professionally, and not having a clear structure and system and a very specific offer that you are presenting them with. It must be very direct and brief to get the results you are seeking. Also, the problem with Cold-Calling is it must be done on the proper timetable of the recipient. This is a must or you are just wasting time and can create some ill-feelings towards you and your business.

Phone work is a skill set. Not just what to say, but every element of it - how to do it, when to do it, who to speak to, how to present your inquiry, how to preset your services once you have the right person on the line, understanding the perceptions and points of view of the person you are contacting, the fact that you are an intrusion or at least likely interrupting someone, and that you are not an invited (wanted or expected) call or contact, and soooo much more. Not understanding this can greatly damage your image, reputation, and position.

This is also why you must qualify the contacts you do reach. Make sure they are your ideal target prospect, tat you can offer them something they truly want, need , or can use) that they have a need or interest in exactly (not generally) what you offer (not just a magic show or closeup) and that they can afford your services, and so on.

Also your points about being organized and keeping records of each call or contact is essential. Regardless how you do it (electronically, manually) it helps lead to your success rate. You must be able to know a non-interested prospect, a warm prospect, or a hot prospect.

This organization and having the exact format of how you are presenting your services is crucial. I'd even go as far to say without these you are literally wasting your time or at least greatly diminishing your potential and results.

When you properly know how to present yourself with the right and proper structure, you have something that can be used anytime, anywhere, with increased averages and consistent results.

Thanks for your post, very appreciated and great insight!
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
It is so obvious that you have had a great deal of experience with marketing. Everything you say is right on the money. Over the years I have appreciated the advice that you share here plus the publications I have purchased from you. Thank you for that. Same goes for Danny Doyle. My biggest problem to overcome is simply procrastination. I do waste more time than I should, and I need to work on that. I think that comes down to goal setting. Working on it. Thanks again Mindpro.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Why thank you misterillusion, it is always great to hear from those that have befitted from our efforts and materials, and that our efforts and contributions are appreciated. Most never say anything. I always think it is important to show appreciation to those that have taught us, influenced us, impacted us (or our businesses), and provided knowledge, insight, and value to our business and what we do.

It is not lost on me that there is no real business materials for the live entertainment and variety entertainment industries. There are for actors, comedians, musicians, recording artists, DJs, but not for variety performers, only other disciplines that always require adaptation and doesn't translate very well at all, and is always from a "me-based" position or an "this is how I did it" perspective. The magic community is the most frustrating as it pertains to this. So much bad, improper context, and misinformation out there.

I have found that most don't always realize how what they do affects, influences, and is received by others. Thanks again!
StephenRoy
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of StephenRoy
I'll throw my experience into the hat, Mindpro, as I appreciate your knowledge, am open to discussion, and am pleased to participate. First of all, I'm not a full-time pro or even semi-pro, but I do love doing shows and my experience is unique to me. First, I have been on the production side of show-biz for over 35 years, so lighting/sound/staging/etc. are second hand to me. Second, I was in real estate for a number of years as trainer and public speaker. So I know my way around a stage and I have no problem getting up in front of an audience, engaging them, being likable to them and even entertaining them. But it wasn't always like that...

When I was a kid, I was horrible. I fell out of magic in the late 1990s, as I married a magician's assistant (not mine) and she had grown up in and hated the magic "scene." So, we didn't have it around the house or hang out with magicians. I came back to magic after our eventual divorce, 15 years later. When I compare the difference between now and the young me, confidence is the one thing that clearly makes the difference. Being able to engage with people in a way that makes them like and trust me has been huge. I see other guys who are just starting out and they are all shakey and nervous. Stage fright is real. But confidence is the stage fright killer.

I had used my experience and built a small theater show on the side of all my other activities. I had some successes with it and some failures. Ultimately, I began using it as a vehicle to get private (banquet/meeting) bookings from show attendees. Then COVID hit and I put it away, as I enjoyed it, but didn't really make any money doing it. Marketing and promotion are clearly my weak points, even with my real estate background. In show-biz, I can put together a production, but selling it is a different animal. I now work for a theater venue managed by ASM Global and hope to branch out and learn from them on the areas I'm weak. I enjoy doing my show, but I'm not so great at selling it.
peculiarone
View Profile
Veteran user
Fence almost done. I've already put in
325 Posts

Profile of peculiarone
A few years ago I tried to break into the retirement community business. Every day when I got home from work I got on the phone and started calling retirement communities. I had made a list off the internet of all of the major retirement communities in my general area. I also noted, if listed on their website, the name of the activities director.

I had a notebook with who, what, where, when, I called and made notes of what transpired.

I sent out many brochures and business cards to the activities directors, and I talked to quite a few of them.

I did this for a couple of months.

I never received one phone call in return. Not even to enquire about my fee or what I do.

PO
peculiarone
View Profile
Veteran user
Fence almost done. I've already put in
325 Posts

Profile of peculiarone
[quote]On Mar 10, 2023, Mindpro wrote:

Phone work is a skill set. Not just what to say, but every element of it -

When you talk on the phone, Stand up and Smile!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Thanks peculiarone and everyone else who responded to this. It seems most are talking about marketing efforts, which is also interesting to discuss, but what my intention was is learn more about your presenting/selling process once someone does contact you. Whether they are responding to your marketing efforts, whether they saw you at a performance or are a referral, or just someone who came by your website. Regardless of how or what got them to respond or express interest, what do you do once they have reached you? Be it by phone, email, inquiry form on your website, or other.

What is your process to presenting your business, performance and service offering to them. What works the best? What is most impactive? What are your preferred methods? How to try to present and close it?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My efforts could be a chapter in a book. The title of that chapter would be “Don’t Let This Happen to You”.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3531 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2023, StephenRoy wrote:

When I was a kid, I was horrible. I fell out of magic in the late 1990s, as I married a magician's assistant (not mine) and she had grown up in and hated the magic "scene." So, we didn't have it around the house or hang out with magicians. I came back to magic after our eventual divorce, 15 years later...

...I had used my experience and built a small theater show on the side of all my other activities

Ok, now THIS sounds like the kind of story that could be made into a movie with the right treatment! LOL!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*