The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Seeking advice in performing Mentalism as a sideline (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
setsuna83
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of setsuna83
Hi everyone, I have been into magic & mentalism for a number of years now and has also performed a few professional gigs (closeup/parlor magic) during pre-covid times. Would like to start getting back into performing mentalism professionally now that things are starting to go back to normal. Just wondering if there are any members that are in the same situation performing mentalism while holding a day job. How do you get started and juggle your commitments (day job, family etc)?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21282 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oye what a great question! Juggling the obligations of family and responsibilities that come with that is absolutely the hardest part about wanting to be a performer.

Here is the first thing to do. Be honest with yourself and figure out if the show is able to be sold. Seriously be harsh and honest. Get primo materials together as well as web sites and such. Get it ready before someone asks. You need to look professional in all these things.

Once you have something to sell and know what that is you have to concentrate on being a local performer, a regional performer or national performer. With having a day job depending upon what that is most likely you will be local or regional.

There is a list a mile long but this is just part of what to do if you want it to be more than a casual thing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Most mentalists are not full-time, I believe less than 5% according to industry stats. Then again most mentalists are not mentalists but rather magicians doing mental magic but that is another topic.

Your question really needs more info to be addressed and answered. I'm guessing you are not from the U.S., so where are you from? What types of event markets are you interested in? These will make a difference in the answers you are seeking.

If you re making a commitment to someone to perform, it should be taken as seriously as your regular job. It is to the customer, it should be to you too. Decide how much of a performing workload you can handle without affecting your job and other commitments.

Being a professional part-time performer is really the ideal way to operate. It does require a priority though within your world.
setsuna83
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of setsuna83
Hi all, thanks for the replies! I'm from Singapore. It's a small market and tbh there's actually more demand for kids magic shows here. During pre-covid times I had done close up gigs for corporate networking sessions and events and that's the area I would like to continue venturing into. Another area I would like to try venture into is restaurants/bars as I have seen some magicians managed to get gigs in this industry. There are of course also stage performers here but since its an area that's already saturated and these guys are the "well known" performers among the local industry, I would like to stay clear of competing with these guys.

Also for personal comparison, I have seen live bands/tarot readers who are also part-time performers getting gigs into venues like restaurants/bars now and I thought to myself why not mentalism? It's just a thought I have in mind and its just a matter of coming up with a plan to get started. I know definitely it will not be possible for me to perform every night but for a start if I could get a consistency of once a week that would be considered a success for me.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2022, setsuna83 wrote:
There are of course also stage performers here but since its an area that's already saturated and these guys are the "well known" performers among the local industry, I would like to stay clear of competing with these guys.

I think this is great and would agree with you. Working towards the corporate and bar/restaurant markets could be good for you based on your personal situation and the amount you want to perform. Restaurant and Bar areas are something that could work out well as long a you are not doing any street performances. I think if presented properly (differently than/from magic) mentalism cold work out well.

Just be aware of expectations - what the bar or restaurant (venue)expects, what the expectations are for the audience that aware that you are a mentalist, and how to present your performance within these guidelines. Same for corporate.

What type of mentalist are you? Do you claim special abilities? Psychic? Real? Non-magic?