The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: An ad in a MAGIC magazine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
I have noticed that frequently I will see an ad in MAGIC magazine, advertising a specific performer. These are paid ads and not a story featuring the person.

The ads usually have a call to action, such as:
"For booking information, call 1-800-000-0000"

I was just curious as to why people spend this kind of money on these ads? Do people actually get booked from their ads in magazines that only magicians read?
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
I am glad I wasn't the only one wondering
I cant wait for a reply
Grand Illusions Magic Smile
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
They may reply back with yes, actualy interesting story...blah blah blah.... but I think its more a stupid marketing mistake or a self ego boost...

Really would you put an ad in for selling magic tricks (retail) to a magazine only read by magic wholesale dealers?
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I've also noticed that! It's like selling jelly beans to JellyBelly! Not reachin' the right market if you know what I mean.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I've noticed these ads as well and thought to myself, "Thank God for people who market like this... it only mean more work for me!"

The only market that I could possibly think of that they are goin for is the magic convention circuit.

I think 12345 hit the nail right on the head... These ads are taken out by people who have big advertising budgets second only in size to their egos.

Lyndel
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
Maybe they want to put in their bio they were featured in the May issue of Magic Magazine.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I suppose a performer might occasionally be booked by a non-performer who subscribes to the magazine. Still, I wouldn't think the ROI would make it worthwhile.

On the other hand, I've never advertised there, so what do I know?

See ya!
Joe L.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
It could also just be for association. Once you hear a name a few times you get comfortable with it. Making them seem like a professional megicians w/out even seeing them perform.

just an idea..
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I think it is ego.

P.S. I'm available, if any of you guys want to hire me to do a show. Smile
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
I have seen Illusions featured, with a tagline of "Not for sale or copy" such as several years ago with Greg Frewin's "Shrouded Transposition." This would be used to establish ownership of an illusion. It makes some sense.

But, with the cost of those full page ads (I heard they were about $1000), that is one heck of a price to pay to establish "association" or "professionalism."
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com