The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Tricks for the radio (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I don't know exactly where this fits, but since doing stuff on the radio is typically a promotional venture, I'll start here.

I'd like to see what kind of a collection of tricks we can put together that will work on the radio, either by us calling the radio host and doing magic over the phone, or working in-studio for the host or audience. I'm not referring to doing a simple trick that the host describes to the listeners, but rather a trick in which the audience can either do along with us, or follow along as the host does the trick as we instruct him, and HE is amazed at the results.

I'll start things off with a few, and sources where available. I would think Tarbell should contain quite a few that would fit this catagory, so gentlemen, go to your libraries!

Steinmeyer's "9 card problem" from Impuzzibilities is one that would work well on the radio, and even while directing the host over the phone. Copperfield used this in his shows a few years back (every audience member got nine cards upon entering the theater) and it worked extremely well.

In "Martin Gardner Presents," there is a section devoted to a "Clairvoyance test" (page 125) which includes 26 questions that are designed to give the test-taker a degree of choice, yet the results are pre-determined becasue they are magic tricks. At least half of those can be used directly, or adapted for use on the radio.

Of particular interest to me is the twist on the number matrix; typically, one number in each row is circled, and the remaining numbers in that row and column are crossed off and not to be used, thereby narrowing down the choice each time until you are left with X numbers, of which you know their sum. A very clever variation of drawing a line of a different color through each row, and using the same colors drawing a line through each column. Select the numbers where each row/column of common colors intersect. This emphasizes the random selection and minimizes the "you can't use the rest of those numbers," element, which is the weak point of that trick. Also found in the Gardner book, this technique is credited to Phil Goldstein (no surprise there, huh!)

So ... what tricks can YOU think of that can be done for the listeners/host on the radio?
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Really? Nobody has any thoughts on this?
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Mark,

I wish I could help you with this, but I have not really done the radio trick thing so much. I have done it once where I did the greay elephant thing and that went over very well. But I do not have so much experience in it. Radio coverage is actually something I want to learn more about this year in regards to how to go aboutgetting coverage for my events. It is a new territory for me to explore and I hope you and others might be able to help me out or give me some resopurces that might be valuable to me.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
The sources I listed can go a long way. I've already used them, mostly in the resort areas a work. I've done two radio stations as a weekly guest for three entire summers. I just thought it would be fun to see what others have used ... but I guess shouldn't have made an assumption.

Apparently, not too many guys have found success doing radio guest spots. Looks like a WIDE OPEN market for you and me, my friend!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I've been doing radio shows. Very successfully. Look here...
http://jimclass.com/Radio%20Waves.htm
There is a 40% discount for a non-prop version.
It will save you hundreds of dollars in books and research. I also have some "How To" information on getting radio shows, how to keep them going, and just what effects you can use.
There are a couple of responces on the site....One dude says he's gonna "Pee His Pants" if I get it right....and of cource I do...LOL
I've done dozens of these shows.
PS...I'm a singer/actor type of a guy. I haven't entered the Magic/Mentalism realm quite yet.
This is just fun right now. I even have my daughter on the phone doing "Miracles" too.( She's 11)....
I am constantly developing new material and effects.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
What a cool question

I too am looking at going onto radio

some of the effects in
Jim Steinmeyer's Further Impuzzibilities vol 1 & 2 would be idea (I just bought them both and they are cheap but full of good routines.)

Lots of stuff with Decks of cards, coins around the house and just using your hands (I love the closed hands trick for those who have read it- you open and close your hands- each person does it randomly and they all end up on the same hand)

You could almost read the book over the radio as it is presented well and written well.

The deck of cards ones would be - OK ladies & Gents - If your at home go grab a deck of cards and we'll see you after the next 2 songs or whatever.
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Steve Shaw's Radio Magic CD's are great. I plan on using them next Friday on the local radio show..
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Much of mentalism works well on radio, as Steve Shaw and Slim King have discovered. The collected volumes of Magick have some excellent ideas that I don't feel free to tip here; some of these are really outstanding and would create a sensation in the right hands. The Shiels Effect would also be a good way to get your juices flowing.

If you are on a station that gets a lot of listeners, you can ask people who got the number or word that you projected, or whose silverware bent, to call the station to report. Nothing like lighting up the switchboard!

Speaking of the telephone, many telephone effects (calling the medium) might work, but I think that the performer at the studio ought to be the focus.

Personally, I would rather do a studio appearance than a call-in. That way, I can use my costume and stage presence on the radio hosts. I have done a couple of things on radio to good effect. A very fast memory demonstration (I have memorized a pocket dictionary) is good for an in-studio interview. The other thing that worked really well was revealing the Feejee Mermaid to my shocked hosts. Since this is radio, no one else could see it, and suddenly everyone wants to.

I think that any effects done with utterly strange objects could work well with the right hosts. I came very close to doing Doug Higley's Dark Museum on the radio, but the tone of the show that I was promoting was very different, so I just went for a quick shocker. If you think about the old radio shows (The Shadow, War of the Worlds, etc.), the real power is that they use the listener's imagination. Many bizarre props and sideshow artefacts are strange enough to get shocked reactions from the hosts, but think what the listeners are "seeing."

Unfortunately, most of what we think of as magic is visual, which just isn't going to work.

Yours,

Paul
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
It's not very often that I dissagree with Paul, but in my thinking, you have the entire Theatre of the Mind(Everyones Imagination) at your disposal. In my programs I'm "On a sunny beach" or "On top of Ottis Castle, overlooking the Sea"...I hold Crystal Balls in my hand and devine words from Quija Boards.... I read from ancient manuscripts and listen to the singing of the swaying palm trees.......Read Tea Leaves and see your outstreached hand.....None of which is real.......Only in the listeners mind.
I love RADIO!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I rarely have that much time to travel to the station. I'd rather sit home and be on three shows within 1/2 hour. I also think it seems a lot less like a set-up for the audience if we're not there with the host.

Of course, the mermaid bit's not bad ... I gotta figure out a way to use mine to promote my next show! I have mine more for the novelty than actual use in a show, but who knows?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Here is a FREE one!
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=82
Have fun!
Dave
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Okay, let me re-phrase the question:

What suggestions and ideas do you guys have without pimping a product?
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Like you've never pimped a product on here before Smile. LOL

(you know Im just picking at you).

I guess I don't see a problem spending $30 on Steve's CD, like I did, to get about 12 new effects to the on the radio. Heck, a lot of them I can modify for TV, online, etc.

Now I should put out a book on tricks you can do in a chatroom with a webcam. That's something Ive been doing for a while that Ive kept to myself.

:)
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Hahaha! I know, but EVERY ONE of Slim's post has been an ad this time around ... so I'm just kidding him, too! But, I was hoping that we could share a few specific ideas and sources rather than "sell" a particular item.

So, here's another thought: The old "Gray elephant in Denmark." This one's been around the block so often it needs new tires. I even saw my old pal Regis Philbin do it on his show. Is there any life to this one for a lay audience? Seems like far too much math for my tastes!
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Sources, without pimping a product:

Thirteen Steps to Mentalism. There is a whole chapter on publicity stunts here, including the great idea of training your own medium who challenges you to do what she does by natural means! Compelling radio doesn't necessary mean doing magic on the radio. You could create a seething controversy and just get interviewed.

The Shiels Effect. Bend metal, raise monsters, cavort with witches. Doc Shiels has some good effects that you could do in a radio interview, but the real fun is lighting up the switchboards with metal bending stories, ghostly happenings, even monster sightings. Dare I say that some of the people calling in could be your shills? Just a few of them could get everyone else going. Come on, let go of guilt.

Magick. Some seriously good stuff in there under publicity effects.

The Jinx. I haven't gone back through the three volumes lately, but this stuff was written when radio was bigger than it is today. No one has done some of these things in a long time. That makes it like smallpox -- no one is immune these days. Sweep the country with something old!

If I were looking for good material for radio, I would sit down with a bunch of old magic books with that problem in mind, and read and reflect for a couple of weeks.

Of course, you will see that I am not offering any advice for balloon twisters or dove-and-bunny guys.

Escapes make good radio also. Just bring in some of the props and let them clank around on the air, or get a live radio broadcast from the site of your publicity escape.

Yours,

Paul
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
So sharing a free effect/presentation is "Pimping" a product? No more freebies for you!
Dr. Wilson...I feel exactly the same as you about the old radio ideas. So old they are "NEW". There was also some interest with effects done through the mail that just KILL!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2006-03-27 19:58, Slim King wrote:
So sharing a free effect/presentation is "Pimping" a product?

It was a joke, Slim! Didn't you read my follow-up response to Ricker?

Boy, everyone's been so touchy lately. Maybe I'll go over to BalloonHQ and ruffle a few feathers ... nobody's been mad at me over there for over a month!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I too joke. LOL LOL LOL
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Maybe we need to add a sarcasm icon to our posts...

:rolleyes:

The Jinx is a good idea, the old books are new again
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Good idea ... the icon could be a little head of Don Rickles.