The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Finding an Agent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
I know that many performers have agents to get them gigs. I know also that agents are often the ones that get people on talk shows and things like that.

The big question is this . . .

Where does one find an agent?

The yellow pages list talent agencies, but they generally specialize in models or actors. I am looking for an agent to represent me for my mentalism act.

By the way, I am in Chicago, in the USA. I'm sure agents work differently depending where you are.
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
amshake
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of amshake
I do know of an angent in Peoria, IL that is looking to broaden his client base. PM me if you are interested. I will find the info.

He specializes in magicians, clowns, and that kind of entertainment.
Magic Geek
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
I've tried to email you or pm you and either the links don't work or I have no idea what I'm doing (probably a combination of both). Let me know about the agent in Peoria. I'm only 25 miles from there.
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
EranRaven
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of EranRaven
Most "typical" agents don't get you on TV shows, there is no money for them in that
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
A good agent will want to do that because it generates more business for their talent.

Agents can be a very tricky thing. I suggest doing as much of the work on your own and to have different agents working for you until you find one you want to be more dedicated to.

Smile
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
In my area, agents don't want to make a fair commission off the top, they want to make 50% or higher. I don't care what they charge for my services (I am worth it) or how much they make. The problem is they usually want to pay me half my price.

My suggestion to all those that feel that they can & want to control their own destiny is to book your own shows. I made the commitment to myself years ago to make my way without agents. I suffered that first year with not a lot of business. Then the tide changed & I have never looked back. I am 98% self booked.

The bonus is that when someone asks for my card, I can give out my card instead of the agent's. I only have agents call me for their best clients & when they are willing to pay the price. When I do work for an agent, I only give out his card.

Please don't get me wrong, if a real agent came along & took a percentage off the top, I would be pleased to work for them.
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
I was going to suggest Jim Coston's website, but I forgot the address. Does anyone here know?
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
If you want to get on talk shows, hire a publicist. Agents are good for gigs.