The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Magic Resume (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magicguy88
View Profile
New user
Chicagoland
73 Posts

Profile of magicguy88
In addition to magic, I am actively involved in the theatre scene as an actor and director.
Occassionally, theatres will solicit me to design magic for productions that require it. For example, I recently taught fire-eating and juggling to the cast of a play here in Chicago which was set in a circus.
On occassion, a theatre will ask if I have a resume for my magic. Well, I have a resume for my acting/directing and on a non-artistic level I have a business resume suitable to track down day jobs, etc...
How do you create a magic resume?
In theatre you typically list your show, the role you had, and what theatre as well as special skills and training.
I typically use a business card and tri-fold brochure (with a client list) to market myself to corporate clients and the like. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to create a professional looking res for magic/variety? What format would you use?

Ryan Smile
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Hello Ryan,

I would recommend a bio instead of a resume. Describe the types of shows you do, how many shows a year you perform for, list recognizable clients and any awards or noteworthy accomplishments.

For example, I list that I have been performing magic for more than 29 years and my shows have been featured by more then 1,200 organizations throughout the Southeast. In 1991 & 1992, I was a featured performer for Carnival Cruise Lines.

That's just a brief example, but that's the way I have always done it.

Michael