The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Question about a referral. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Colin Gilbert
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Colin Gilbert
''I'' agree with ''Dean'' as ''he'' get's ''to'' the ''point''. (he he)
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean

" Smile "

Woo Hoo!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

Profile of Creative Coach
James,
Sorry we disagree. The "friend" DOES need to grow up if they are going to assume Bill "stole" their client. They need to figure out why their client chose Bill. Evidently their relationship skills lack as much as their show skills do.

They need to ask Bill before assuming he stole a client. Did they have a contract with the client for eternity? Clients change, contacts change, tastes change. Maybe they need to ask the client why they chose to call Bill.

The question was: Is a referral fee owed? And I answered no.

We will continue to agree and disagree. On this I'll leave it: We disagree.
As for my coaching.... my clients successes speak for themselves.

Ethics: There is nothing unethical about booking a program that chose you over a former entertainer.

All The Best!
John
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
John,

Sorry again if my post suggested I was questioning your coaching abilities which I am sure are top notch. I reread my earlier post and it was harsher than I intended.

We will just have to disagree on this one.

Best,
James
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

Profile of Creative Coach
James,
No problem! It is OK to disagree.

John
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Harking back to the original post, asking the original question, I would call my FRIEND and TELL him of my quandry. I would TELL him that I did NOT market myself to this group and that they called me out of the blue and would offer a commission to him, right off the bat - after all, HE got me the gig. AND I would refer HIM to a gig that I couldn't do as well, if at ALL possible.

Here's why - being mutually supportive in this business breeds mutual support 9 times out of 10, especially among friends.

If he referred you once and you were honorable about what happened, he will know that he can trust you not to "go behind his back" with his existing clients and pick his pockets, but will call and say "Hey, they called me and I'm not sure what to do - I can either take the gig and pay you a commission or hand it off to you. OR I can do the gig, pay you a commission AND I have this gig for these folks over here that I can't cover next Tuesday that is for the same price as this one. How do you want to handle this?"

This way, you not only keep the communication lines open, but you keep him happy by not threatening his cash-flow or his client base.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Great answer Lee. Once again, like your last post to "I have a situation," you've hit the nail squarely on the heade.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Yeppers...
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Agreed.

Excellent response Lee.

Best regards.

Jonathan
Jonathan