The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Our new arrivals :: Hey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
XoApheXoX
View Profile

Beaumont, Tx
0 Posts

Profile of XoApheXoX
Hey...uhm yeah my names Michael and I'm new to magic...i just learned the balducci a couple of days ago (my first trick yay!), and everybody freaks out when I do it...its awesome lol anyways yeah I'm hooked now...later
(g-money) mike...lol...
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-06-30 20:07, XoApheXoX wrote:
Hey...uhm yeah my names Michael and I'm new to magic...i just learned the balducci a couple of days ago (my first trick yay!), and everybody freaks out when I do it...its awesome lol anyways yeah I'm hooked now...later

Welcome, Michael.

Even tho the Balducci Levitation is your first trick, do you have any particular area of magical interest? If you let some of us know where your magical interests might lie, I'm fairly certain that you will get some good suggestions in those regards and on magic in general.

I'll start the ball rolling by cautioning you to NOT get wrapped up in buying every magic trick and gizmo you see. If you do, you'll end up needing a suitcase to carry all your props. (grin) IMHO, you would be better off getting a few beginning magic books--especially some on presentation.

As far as good beginning magic books on cards and coins, most magicians would immediately recommend "Royal Road to Card Magic" (RRTCM) for cards and J.B.Bobo's "The New Modern Coin Magic" book for coins.

In any event, welcome to the Magic Café. AndI hope you have a great magical experience and magical career.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I agree with getting books but to have a look at what is available before you get into a specific area and the best overview of magic in general is Mark Wilson's Complete course in magic.
Excellent for giving you a general knowledge regarding magic and performance.
Then even if you don't want to become a card and coin pro still buy Royal Road and Bobo's and also Expert card technique. They are good books.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-07-01 02:22, abc wrote:
I agree with getting books but to have a look at what is available before you get into a specific area and the best overview of magic in general is Mark Wilson's Complete course in magic.
Excellent for giving you a general knowledge regarding magic and performance.
Then even if you don't want to become a card and coin pro still buy Royal Road and Bobo's and also Expert card technique. They are good books.

ABC,

You are quite right. The Mark Wilson book is an EXCELLENT first choice and is well-worth keeping and using throughout your magic career. Lots of strong magic and very good advice in it.

I had forgotten about the Mark Wilson book. I just recently purchased it used and I am delighted with it. I don't know how I could have zoned out on this one.

Mike

P.S. Another good first book that you'll continue to use throughout your magic career is the "Magic for Dummies" book. I was astounded to learn the names of all of the contributors to this book. All of them are "heavy hitters" and the magic and advice they share is very good.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi X,

Good suggestions from the posters above and I'd also suggest checking out the New to Magic Forum. Lots of good info on what books or vids to purchase depending on where you interest in magic lies. Please don't hesitate to post or ask a question of your own as it's a friendly place. Have fun and welcome to the Café.
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
Welcome X... the Balducci is my favorite, and I've gotten tons of strange reactions. I'm sure you're already making quite a reputation for yourself!
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Welcome Michael,

Glad to have you on board. I like doing the levitation myself. In fact, one day while I was waiting around in the courtroom, one of my fellow officers asked me to show another officer how I could rise off the ground.

I did and a defense attorney witnessed it. He asked me what I just did and I told him I was taking my case to a higher court. I almost got thrown out of the courtroom when those around me laughed so hard that it disrupted the proceedings in the courtroom.

Anyway, glad to have you on this site. Many good topics and responses.

Glenn
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Hi Michael,
Welcome to the Café. The Café is such a unique place for Magic. It is ever expanding and has nearly 13.500 members throughout the world. It will make a great contribution to your magic perspective. Do not forget to post often. You will find many new friends and many new ideas here. I predict you will like the Café.Please grab a chair and begin to type your next post while you have a cup of strong Turkish coffee on my bill.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
Quote:
On 2004-07-05 09:51, Police Magician wrote:
I almost got thrown out of the courtroom when those around me laughed so hard that it disrupted the proceedings in the courtroom.

Wow, that is hilarious!!! Crazy reactions are by far one of the best things in magic. I love it whenever you're in a crowded room full of people and suddenly you make someone scream. Then you've got yourself a huge audience... and an enormous reputation.

Angela
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Angela,

Reactions are great, but I did something stupid by doing it in a court of law. The judge could have held me in contempt of court for causing the disorder.

I agree that reactions from people when doing magic is great in other venues though. By the way, I visited your site and congratulate you on a great career. Use magic at some of the pagents for the talent part of it and I am sure you will put the people under your spell.

Glenn