The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Our new arrivals :: From aikido to magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
As the wizard said in Monty Python and the Holy Grail , "Some call me... Tim!"

I've been studying aikido for the last two years... a martial art that depends upon misdirection, timing, and sleight of hand. The principles that make aikido work have been pulling me back in the direction of magic... something I left behind back before junior high.

I like magic that uses everyday objects (or what at least what appears to be everyday objects.) When the everyday becomes magical, then life can be a little bit more surreal.... =)

I'm from Chicago. I feel that I'm starting from a beginner's standpoint. When I was a kid, I leaned on tricks that relied on gimmickry rather than skill. But this time around, I want to take the time to develop skill.....
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Welcome, to the Café. Done Aikido a few years myself, shodan fugakukai (Karl Geis via Tim Joe) and Yoshinkai. Always glad to have another MA type in the forums.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Welcome to the Magic Café, I also trained in aikido, I am a Okuiri in Miyama Ryu Jujutsu. Glad to have you here with us.

Best,

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Welcome to the Café
Cards never lie
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Welcome to the Café!
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
MagiCanada
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
140 Posts

Profile of MagiCanada
Welcome to the Café!
mark1991
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, Lincolnshire, England
311 Posts

Profile of mark1991
Hi there,

Welcome to the Magic Café!

Hope to see you around!

Many thanks

Magical Mark Watson
(mark1991)
http://magicnewstelevision.com/mn/magicalmark

Magical Mark Watson - Christian magician, juggler, puppeteer, all-round entertainer and lover of Christ!
theAmazinbryan
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of theAmazinbryan
Hello
the martial arts seem to be in a lot of Magi's background .mine is JKD,Kali ,thai-boxing an MMA!
Welcome !
On a side note a long tome friend was in akido with a teacher on crutches from m.s. I believe an he said his ability to throw him around was amazing !
looking forward to your growth
bryan
Stuart Coyle
View Profile
New user
Australia
62 Posts

Profile of Stuart Coyle
Welcome.
I'm yet another Aikido practitioner here. I have trained for several years with Ki society and Yoshinkan as well as a couple of other martial arts. I agree that the arts of magic and Aikido share some ideas. The big difference is that you don't do Aikido to entertain anyone.

Cheers,
Stuat Coyle
Ghosthunter
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Ghosthunter
Welcome to the Café!
Killed_CZ
View Profile
Regular user
Czech republic, Prague
173 Posts

Profile of Killed_CZ
Hello and welcome to the café
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 19:55, Stuart Coyle wrote:
I agree that the arts of magic and Aikido share some ideas. The big difference is that you don't do Aikido to entertain anyone.

I find that there are some simple magic tricks that have helped me understand aikido better. i.e. The trick where you can use one finger to prevent a person from standing up. Or the trick where the person is unable to balance on one foot because they find that they are unable to lift their other foot. Both of these are relatively simple tricks, but if you don't know how the trick is done, and it's being done unto you, you feel helpless.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Welcome to The Café. I have also studied Martial Arts: Qi Gong and Tai Kwon Do. You are in good company here, for lots of us find this sort of focus and movement helps us onstage. You will like it here in The Café. Enjoy!
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Welcome. I'm trained in tai-chi, it has taught me to stay focus. everything that you do that calls for focus such as martial arts or chess, they will help you in magic.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/