The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: What are some of the most invaluable things you have learned as a magician/mentalist? (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Sel
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Sel
I do know some but have a lot more to learn. I will want to learn the most useful things out there
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1178 Posts

Profile of Russo
Don't be an "HA Ha - I FOOLED YOU " Magician - At Times seem as bewildered as the audience.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Magic is pretty silly.
Magic itself, doing tricks, isn't important in the grand scheme of things.
People, however; are of great value.
Without people who would watch our tricks? Whose eyes would light up with amazement?
Who would gasp and applaud? Who would laugh? Who would get a moment of escape from the harsh realities of life?
People are what gives magic its value and excitement. People make you nervous. People make you want to do your very best, hopefully.
Make your magic about the people you share it with and go on the journey with them. Experience magic with them. Help them experience wonder.
Practice until you can not just do the trick perfectly, but entertain people while doing the trick.
Just like a songwriter or an author or a filmmaker, the real magic is connecting with people and affecting their emotions, giving them a memory, our tricks simply make this possible.
I learned these things sharing magic with people in hospitals. When I started doing tricks for children who are no longer with us, and their suffering parents, I realized the people are way more important than the tricks.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1178 Posts

Profile of Russo
Maybe there could be stories about how a spouse was met by Entertaining with Magic, Puppets and / or Ventriloquism. A few of my Magi Friends how I met mine.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9998 Posts

Profile of funsway
At an auto accident scene, I was able to save a man's life by taking complete control of the other folks there -
other helpers, lookie-loos, police and ambulance team. Knowing what to do came from many sources and life experience -
but my confidence, presence and force of personality is grounded in performing magic since age 11.

It was also necessary to lie to the victim effectively about conditions to avoid shock. That may have come from mentalism. Smile

The key is that I was willing to act while others milled about in confusion. My gift from magic is being prepared and incisive.

The magic part is that I later walked away without even knowing his name or seeking credit. Awe and wonder is its own reward.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3879 Posts

Profile of Julie
...and some might say you were/are a real life Guardian Angel.
_Alex_
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of _Alex_
Magic can tell any story like any other art form. Magic should be questioned and deconstructed like any other art form. As Al Baker said, it's never good enough. There will always be improvements. But the most important thing of all is to be yourself. Your own style of magic will be authentic to the audience. You don't want to perform and be a completely different person. You don't have to be original. You just have to find things that suit your style.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Presentation is more important than the effect.
bentpenny
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of bentpenny
Develop a habit of reading magic books.
Tony Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
Less is more.
__
"If you want magic in your life, start thinking like a magician." - Scott Grossberg
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1793 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
If anything can go wrong at some time it definitely will...be prepared for outs
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Magic is not about you, it is about the expectations of your the audience and those that book you.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Know when to stop, aka, always leave them wanting more.

Listen to the audience. They will give you great lines for free.

Always charge what you're worth. Be worth your fee... and then some.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
qbl
View Profile
New user
South of the Arctic Circle
3 Posts

Profile of qbl
The art is in the performance, not the method.
Canapés my ass, that's a Ritz cracker and chopped liver.
-Z-
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of -Z-
Sometimes too much talking can kill the effect.

Seeing magicians fumbling and tapping items drives me nuts.
jared23m
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of jared23m
In my limited experience, it is important to read and react to a situation. Most magic, and especially mentalism, is interactive by nature. And therefore it is not enough to just rehearse by yourself like it's a solo dance that you can perform the same way every single time. You must remember you are dancing with other people (the spectators), whom you cannot control. You can try your best to control them, but there is always going to be an element of behavior that is left out of your hands. So be prepared for many situations, and on top of that, be prepared to do things you've never expected you would need to do once you get on that stage (whatever form the stage may take).
Chaikuni
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Chaikuni
I learned the importance of storytelling. How you can take something simple and make it into a core memory for someone. Showmanship, performance, and connecting with people. Magic will teach you valuable skills beyond silly card tricks.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2022, RobertApodaca wrote:
Presentation is more important than the effect.

...And personality is more important than presentation.