The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: DIY double backer (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chris.k
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Chris.k
I have some spare cards and want to make some double backers does anybody have some tips that will help the process
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I've been playing with the method where you soak cards in a dish of water, peel apart the cards and then wipe off the dark glue on both sides of said card, then you pat-dry the cards and press them in a heavy book.

Once dry, you can use dry-mount or spray adhesive to attach different card backs.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
At the risk of sounding like a neanderthal, I'd say just glue them together with a glue stick. It depends on your desired trick, but that always worked fine for me. No one notices.
I learned this simple method years ago from Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic and never had a problem with it. I realize it's not as elegant a solution as actually making them by splitting cards, but if you just need something simple that works it does the job.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3879 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2022, Theodore Lawton wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a neanderthal, I'd say just glue them together with a glue stick. It depends on your desired trick, but that always worked fine for me. No one notices...

...AND it's a very serviceable locator/control gimmick, too!

Julie
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
True!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
ErwinHopman
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
4 Posts

Profile of ErwinHopman
If you want to do card splitting on a more regular basis: there is a 'card splitter rig' on the market I believe, that makes splitting cards more easy (I thought I did find one through one of the advertisements here on The Café).
But first I would advice to try splitting yourself without a rig (especially when you are just starting out doing it). It is important that you don't rush the process of splitting the layers. Just take you're time.

Here is some good advice on card splitting: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&start=0
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4861 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
For expert advice on card splitting and creating gimmicks, contact Marti Martini.
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_p......user=701
Where the magic begins
Bremner
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Bremner
Here is the link for you. https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=113 I have been using Eoin’s equipment for several years now. Just recently split a whole deck both fronts and backs in about 1 1/2 hours. You will go through many cards to get good at it. Do not use a wet process. With Eoin’s jig and other stuff you can split 30 or more cards in the same amount of time you can doing one with the wet process. I use dry mount to put them back together and also use a laminator to set the dry mount adhesive.
Drylid
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, TX
110 Posts

Profile of Drylid
I can explain how to split cards to you with no need for water or devices. Pm me for details. I take about 30 min and split a whole deck and have enough to last me the year. Making a double backer is dirt cheap and takes 3 min max
Chris.k
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Chris.k
Thanks for the suggestion I have tried and some of them came out pretty good
bhavz95
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of bhavz95
Yeah if you don't care about handing it out, just glue 2 together. If you need to, you can split the cards and then use dry mount tissue or glue to stick them together.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Added bonus to gluing cards together? You have an automatic key card!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*