The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: The principles of illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Huw Collingbourne
View Profile
Loyal user
Devon, UK
201 Posts

Profile of Huw Collingbourne
I would like to try to build some small illusions in order to understand the principles behind many traditional stage illusions. Curiously enough, the best explanation of one important magical principle which I've discovered so far is a document aimed at physics students. This contains plans for an 'anti-gravity' box. While this isn't going to make a stage act, we can all see how the same principles are applied to many famous illusions and no doubt will be applied to many new ones. If you are interested, it's here:

http://www.aapt.org/tpt/pdf/nov01/apparatus_nov01.pdf

I know there is a fine line between explanation and exposure. However, I'm not looking for plans to existing illusions. The mysteries of Siegfried and Roy's Disappearing Elephant and Harbin's ZigZag lady are not what I'm after (though I think I might hazard a few guesses anyway...)

What I want is a guide - some simple science, you might say - to the essential ways in which the eye is deceived by colours, shapes and (of course) mirrors.

Any ideas?

Huw
Telemus
View Profile
Regular user
Everett WA
128 Posts

Profile of Telemus
Huw
Jerry Andrus is very big into How the sight is interpreted by the brain. He has done some fascinating visual wizardry.
Telemus
korbin27
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of korbin27
I like the Eye tricks Jerry Andrus does as well A few of them have had many hours ponder on my behalf. Zone Zero! was worth the buy as well.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Some good books on theory would be by S.H. Sharpe.

Conjurer's Hydraulic Secrets
Conjurer's Phsychological Secrets
Conjures's Optical Secrets

Osborne Illusion Systems has recently released a book on the history of the box.

Mickey Hades published a book some years ago called the New Make-Up of Magic. It talked mostly about how the tricks are designed and painted to hide the whatever.

Osborne's Illusion system books have a little of that too.

Good luck.

Steven Smile
Coram Deo