The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: topit? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I saw someone doing great production/vanishes and was later told that a topit was being used, does anyone have any recommendations or info on this device? I know how it works, in theory, but I don't want to botch it over something simple.
I like videos over books, but either will do, and patterns as I make my own costumes! thanks for the help.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
David_Libertine
View Profile
Regular user
Lake Charles, LA
142 Posts

Profile of David_Libertine
I have Carl Cloutier's topit in all my "working" clothes. I think it's the best one obviously since it's all I use. I have a pattern and have all my jackets made with the topit installed from the beginning.

But then again, all my clothes are heavily modified. The topit is simple in concept but requires a lot of practice before its "performance ready".

Check out Cloutier's Expert Topiting Video.
Boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Boy: Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Although kind-of pricey, I have been told by a number of magicians that Michael Ammar's Topit tapes can't be beaten for learning to use the topit. You can find them at http://www.magicsmith.com
Hope this helps you!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
mikeB
View Profile
New user
UK
84 Posts

Profile of mikeB
You can also get it direct from Michael Ammar's site for $6. This includes the pattern and intructions for making up the topit.

Cheers

Mike Smile
Cheers

Mike
Your Reality Is A Figment Of My Imagination
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I have the Cloutier Topit Video and I think it is outstanding. I also bought the Ammar Topit pattern (don't have his video) and I don't like the way his topit is shaped and it appears to "operate".

A friend bought the Cloutier Topit, and has not used it yet. So I will take a look at it, and either buy it from him, or decide that they both do look and work the same - or close enough to get the Ammar Topit installed.

Either way, if I can get even a small bit of the utility that Cloutier gets in his performance using a Topit, I will be VERY happy.

I also got the Cloutier Sleeving Video and am waiting to have the jacket modded a bit for that too, until I decide on which topit to use.

If anyone has an opinion between the two topits (actually compared them) it would be nice to know.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
About 20 or so years ago, Patrick Page lectured and sold a pin in Topit. I bought one and used it for several years. Then the Ammar version hit big time and I had two coats outfitted with them. I loved it!

Several years after that I had a Chellini style built into one coat. This is a Topit that runs entirely around the back of the coat, has magnetic hookups (hook and unhook instantly) and is accessible from either side (you can vanish left and retrieve left or vanish right and retrieve right or vanish left and retrieve right and…you get the point!). It is designed so that the weight is born by the shoulders and not by the hem of the coat.

Well, styles changed, and I got a little “portly” and the coats that had the built-ins went by the wayside. I went back to pinning my old Patrick Page Topit into my coats (and into my Hawaiian shirts) again. The big draw back (the only draw back) is that I cannot retrieve the vanished object from my pocket later. But truthfully, I rarely used that feature in any routine.

Pat Page also gave a “tip” that I have used several times over the years. That is, to make a Topit out of a hair net and some safety pins. Don’t laugh it works! In point of fact, I have even used a bandana (large handkerchief) pinned in as a Topit. It worked!

I cannot comment on Carl’s version. I have seen it in operation and know that it performs similarly to Ammar’s. However, I have never examined the construction. I do know that Carl does have them installed in both sides of his coats.

Probably one of the best videos to learn the technique from is the Patrick Page one that has re released by L&L.

I think that it is probably not relevant which version you ultimately use. Ultimately, this is just a tool to help you vanish an object. They all work about the same. The bottom line here is that they all work! The real question is do you have a routine that needs this tool?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Note ye that that is why I am asking where to start. Building it into an outfit won't be a problem as I have to make some more garb as it is. Although.. I do do a solid bubble into a contact juggling bit, it would be great if after contact juggling the bubble it "Poped"!
OK, maybe I do have an act for it Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Has anyone used the Transferable Topit yet. I always see the ad in The Linking Ring. Is it good? Thanks.
Bernard Sim
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Pokie-Poke, it sounds to me like you have the beginning of a real use for a Topit! Perhaps the Patrick Page video would be a good start for you. His is the best explanation of the technique. It has no pattern, but you clearly see what it looks like. Page’s is the kind that is moveable from costume to costume (coat to coat).

I think one of the Cloutiers comes with a pattern. I would hesitate to buy it, if it does not, I don’t remember the Topit being shown on the tape, just the technique for using it.

I have not seen Ammar’s tape, but have the book. The book has the pattern and installation instructions.

Both Cloutier’s and Ammar’s versions are the retrieve from the outside pocket. This is a brilliant add-on if you need it. I tend to not need it for what I do.

It’s great that you have the sewing skills to build one.

Bernard, I haven't seen the "new" much advertised “transferable Topit” yet. Remember that the Page version was a transferable one and cost less than $20!!! You could probably have a seamstress make you one for less than that! Get Pat’s video and go from there!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,

Also consider "Dushecks vest" this is a vest/waistcoat affair that you wear under your jacket unseen, it gives a toppit on one side and three load pockets for steals on the other side. It has the advantage of the weight being taken around the neck for heavy objects.
phillip
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Good point about the weight as I will be ditching a 3" acrylic ball (if I Can).
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Yes you can, I have done it with my contact ball.

You could also make the vest with a topit each side if you needed.
I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous
Phillip Smile
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
if you are clumsy with both hands are you ambi. or just clumsy??
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Jay Scott Berry has a very nice design of a topit for his waistcoat (a jacket that stops right at the belt line). His design makes it virtually impossible to miss (as long as the object actually enters the coat).

I had to modify the Cloutier topit as the "tongue" that tucks into the pants was EXCEPTIONALLY long (at least a foot longer than it needed to be). The Cloutier topit also wraps around the back of the body farther than does the Ammar topit (which has a built-in "backstop").

Howard Hale also markets a pin-in-coat topit. Using pins or Velcro would make it easy to move from coat to coat (or to remove it entirely for some reason - such as dry cleaning).

I would recommend getting as many different styles and shapes of topits as you can, have a seamstress make up some freeform models and then pin them into your coat(s) and give them all a try. You'll probably find you'll gravitate to one or another for some reason. You might even want a particular model modified to meet YOUR specific needs.

I think there are so many topits on the market because none is perfect. There are many styles of people and many ways to use the thing. And that's very good news for those of us who DO use one.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
David_Libertine
View Profile
Regular user
Lake Charles, LA
142 Posts

I'll second your idea Geoff. I have always used the Cloutier topit and have a version I modified for my purposes installed into every jacket I have made.

If I had to do it all over again I love the idea of gathering a few patterns and trying them all out then figuring out what modifications you'd like. I love the Cloutier topit I use, but it has changed as it was installed in the first few jackets.

Concerning sewing skills, I couldn't install one if I had to, but fortunately, my Significant Other, designs and makes clothing so having them made up is no problem.
Boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
If I had the cash to buy them all, right off the bat, I would, and be answering this question for someone else Smile writing a revue or something Smile As it is I will probably collect more than I need (isn't that the other post?) Smile But where to start?

Also, how close can you get with one, and what angles, would you use, one in the street? The one I saw was close but I only got to see it for a moment so I did not have time to look for these things.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
David_Libertine
View Profile
Regular user
Lake Charles, LA
142 Posts

I use mine everywhere, on the street, at the mall, in a grocery store, etc. And if you develop a smooth presentation and use good misdirection skills it's a miracle.

I've had folks say; "I know it's a trick but I'll be $#&@ed if I know how you did it", but I've never had anyone "expose" the technique.

As for distance, I try and have at least 2 or 3 feet between me and the spec(s). Again, I recommend Cloutiers video. He is so smooth with his handling. I think he could toss a small pachyderm into a topit 2 feet from you and you'd still be saying; "How'd he DO that?!?!?!"
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
But, would it be a borrowed pachyderm? Smile
Thanks for the help. Where can I find the Cloutiers video?
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Hi Pokie!

MagicSmith has the video for only $10. This is without the pattern, however. You'll have to ask someone else where to get it, I'm afraid. The address is http://www.magicsmith.com
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
marlynn
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of marlynn
I have Carl Cloutier's Video's and his Toppit Patern. After Carl was kind enough to show me his Toppit and Michael Ammar's also was kind enough to show me his toppit I designed my own. I "chalked" a ball and practised without a toppit to determine how big and where to place my toppit.