The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Finding magicians in my area (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
thexcheat
View Profile
New user
MD
5 Posts

Profile of thexcheat
This is probably in the wrong section, but I could not find a place to put this.
Ok, I want to get involved with the magicians in my area. Talk with them about magic, and how to grow as a magician. I am a beginner, around 2 years now...Online is great and all, but I would rather it be in person.
I don't know where to start, so any help would be much appeciated.
Thanks

Edit: O and I live near Washington D.C., Baltimore, Columbia, in MD.
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Try your local IBM or SAM clubs.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Yo:

Look up in Google the sites for the International Brotherhood of Magicians and the Society of American Magicians. You can then contact them and ask about the local clubs in your area. I know that some exsist, etc.

This is the best way to meet and interact with others in the craft. Good luck,
Brad Burt
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
Isn't Google great? Here I am in Alaska, and there you are, and here is all you need to get connected:

Name: I.B.M. Ring 50
Home: Washington, DC
Info: I.B.M. Ring 50 meets the first Wednesday of each month (except July) at the Holiday Inn I-95 at Telegraph Rd., Alexandria, Virginia. Dinner at 6:30 p.m., Meeting starts at 8 p.m.

SAM Assembly #6 has a long and rich history. It was in the Ford Theatre in Baltimore where Harry Kellar recognized Howard Thurston to be his successor as the master magician. Assembly 6 adopted the name "Kellar-Thurston Assembly #6" based on that significant event. When in Baltimore Thurston made it a point to attend the SAM meetings. Our clubs archives contain many original Thurston memorabilia.
When in the Baltimore area please feel free to attend one of our meetings.
Assembly #6 meets the first Thursday of every month in members homes.
President: Rudy Jackson, majicjac@verizon.net (410)922-6532

:magicrabbit:
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Both the IBM and SAM websites list all rings and assemblies. Curious, why do you show Dallas, TX as your location on your avatar if you live elsewhere?
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
If you live in or near Baltimore, you have Denny and Lee's available to you. I'd start there.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
thexcheat
View Profile
New user
MD
5 Posts

Profile of thexcheat
I put Dallas TX there because... I really do not know why I put that there lol... Anyway thanks for the help guys. I am a younger magician, and I found a SYM gathering nearby, so I am going to try there.
Thanks
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
Thexcheat,

PM Larry Davidson or contact Barry Taylor and they would be more than happy to help you out. They are both from the Md, DC area and are two of the nicest guys in magic.
Michaels
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
Cyar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Cyar
You could go to http://www.meetup.com and start your own.
I told those f***s down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...in addition to the wonderful magic clubs in your area, definitely go visit Denny Haney at Denny & Lee's Magic Studio. He's an old "pro" and is more than willing to talk to those interested in magic. He'll NOT steer you wrong.

Denny & Lee Magic Studio
BALTIMORE STUDIO
9004 Yellow Brick Road,
Suite H
Rosedale, Maryland 21237
410-686-3914 / 410-686-6953 fax
Email: dennymagic@aol.com

Mark.
JasonbytheOcean
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, D.C.
103 Posts

Profile of JasonbytheOcean
Thexcheat,

I'm a member of both IBM Ring 50 and SAM, though more active with Ring 50.

If you haven't heard about it yet, there's a major magic convention happening TODAY and TOMORROW in Alexandria, Magi-Whirl - http://magiwhirl.homestead.com/. If you can't make the convention itself, at least try to come out to tomorrow's evening show. It won't be hard to spot a magician, as a number of us will be performing close-up before the stage show. Just introduce yourself as having an interest in learning and we'll be happy to tell you more.

I think Ring 50 is also looking into the possibility of starting a youth group, but in the meantime you'd be welcome to bring a guest and join us at a regular meeting to see what we're about. The next meeting is an auction, which I'm not sure might be to your interest, but we also have lectures, sessions, shows, etc.

I'll also mirror the comments about Denny and Barry. Denny's info was provided, Barry's website is at http://www.barrysmagicshop.com/.

Please feel free to let me know if I can be of additional help. Welcome to D.C.!

Cheers.

Jason
thexcheat
View Profile
New user
MD
5 Posts

Profile of thexcheat
I would really love to go to that convention... but I don't think I will be able to get a ride.
JasonbytheOcean
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, D.C.
103 Posts

Profile of JasonbytheOcean
It's possible to get there by bus/Metro, directions are on Bishop Ireton's High School website - http://www.bishopireton.org/about/directions.html.