The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: What was the name of your first magic shop? (42 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..18~19~20 [Next]
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
My very first magic shop was on Main St. in Walt Disney World in the early 70s. We lived about an hour away when DW opened and all of our out of state company wanted to go to DW - so we took them. I probably visited that magic shop 15 times the first 2 or 3 years that it was open.

The first "real" magic shop was Bob Hutching's Magic Shack in Jacksonville, FL in 1980. He really knew how to demonstrate magic! He had grown up in a Vaudeville family and had performed in one way or another since he was 3 years old. He always carried a good selection of magic. He had a large portion of floorspace set aside to use for the local IBM ring meetings. He's been gone for some time now - but that area owes a lot to him for his influence in magic.
Nathan Hastings
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
78 Posts

Profile of Nathan Hastings
My first magic shop was probably the one at the Mall of America. (Replaced by a friggin bean bag chair store, of all things.) I've visited Eagle Magic once or twice, but not in a long time. My current shop of choice is Twin Cities Magic and Costume, Co. Great shop, very talented magicians!

P.S. Great thread!

N!J
"As my plastic surgeon always said: If you gotta go, go with a smile."

-the Joker
SmagicMom
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of SmagicMom
Magic Etcetera in Fort Worth, Texas. Great place, and is combined with a killer costume shop. Once a year, adjoins to an awesome haunted house, called Hangmans. Met some awesome magicians there, back when I was clowning.
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
Quote:

P.S. Great thread!

N!J

Thank you!
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
Definately Davenports in London... great memories, great times, great help. Smile
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
The Queen of Hearts in Plano, TX Smile
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
When I was a teen ('way too long ago!), I chanced into a magic shop at Magic Mountain in SoCal. In 2001, I happened to be in San Diego for an extended period of time and visited Brad Burt's shop a few times. I think I did get to meet Brad once, I talked to David Eldridge, and bought my favorite trick - the giant B'Wave there (I forget the name of the big guy who sold it to me).

I was sad to see it close, though I couldn't get over there hardly at all.

Ed
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
No bricks and mortar in my locale. Alakazam online..
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
MikeOB
View Profile
Loyal user
Doylestown, PA
217 Posts

Profile of MikeOB
Abracadabra Magic Shop in NJ. I dragged my mother there when I was like 7. It was out of his basement. Also went to Mecca Magic and a magic shop in Red Bank ran by The Amazing Randi I do believe.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2007-11-26 18:40, gaddy wrote:
Marshall Brodien's magic shop at the "Old Chicago" amusement park.

That's going back a ways!

My first was the magic counter at Treasure Island in Chicago.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
Quote:
On 2007-12-20 23:16, Mustang wrote:
Definately Davenports in London... great memories, great times, great help. Smile

Ditto! A great little place, I remember going there when I was a kid and walking along what seemed to be a never ending front window full of magic tricks, books, puzzles, props etc...happy times!
Lash
View Profile
Regular user
Lansing, MI
161 Posts

Profile of Lash
I grew up in rural America, the middle of nowhere. So the first actual magic shop I went to was Precision Magic when I was on vacation in Gatlinburg, TN.
chuckn34404
View Profile
Regular user
Bend, Oregon
124 Posts

Profile of chuckn34404
Foley's Magic Shop in downtown Seattle Washington. It was located in an old office building on the second or third floor. I would go down on saturday two or three times a month to spend my hard earned cash.
Chuckn
boynextdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster
129 Posts

Profile of boynextdoor
My first trip into a magic shop was Houdini's Magic Shops. First was at Buffalo Bill's in Primm, NV. Went in and couldn't afford to buy anything. Then came another one of those stores in The Venetian in Las Vegas, I think. Anyways, there I bought a juggling (ball) set.

First and only time (Sadly) I have ever been to a real magic shop was Hollywood Magic. THAT was awesome. The guy at the counter actually did tricks and knew about the products. Plus, he had on blue contact lenses, so I always wondered if he was hiding out from someone, like the mob or something. And it smelt old and mysterious. I loved it. It was ALMOST how my town's previous library smelt. I loved that smell.

THAT was the first time I ever bought ANY magic supplies. A close up matt, color chanking hankies, and some wands that were a bad choice. (I went a little crazy).

OH, and I bought some Spider-Man style gloves. Just incase I ever need them because you never know.
Trapeze above the Grand Canyon. Be impressed.
Bill Groome
View Profile
New user
Columbia, S.C.
89 Posts

Profile of Bill Groome
Well's Magic Shop in Macon, Georgia. It was being run at the time by the widow of Ed Wells. It always smelled strongly of incense and had a very mystical atmosphere. I believe they got all of my allowance on Saturdays.
All the Best,
Bill Groome (owner)
www.MadhatterMagicShop.com
Madhatter International
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
The first "Magic Shop" that I ever visited was not a Magic Shop but was a Toy Shop at Knotts Berry Farm.
The first real Magic Shop was Merlin's Magic at Disneyland and the Main Street Magic Shop.

As an older teenager I spent (or hung around) many hours at the B&H School of Magic where I was also a student.

In my youth most of my purchases were mail order to Bentley's Trading Post and the Elbee Magic Company. I later worked for two years at the Elbee Magic Company as a demonstrator for Louis Berkie who also owned Fosters Fun Shop in a Mall.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
Quote:
On 2007-11-29 18:19, THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-25 10:32, Ximines wrote:
Eagle Magic - Minneapolis Minnesota - back in the early 70's. Larry Kahlow is still the owner!

Same here!

Yep same here too. Now I go to Twin Cities Magic and Costume in St. Paul because it is closer to my home in Rosemount. I still love Eagle magic tho. Yep my opinion is the same as Nathans about Magic Max in Mall of America. It was there before I had an interest in magic and I would walk by and not give it a seccond thought. Now to this day every time I walk by that stupid bean bag store Corda-roy's I sigh deeply and wish I could have supported it when it still existed. I would have a lot more magic props now if it wasnt replaced.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-04-17 23:44, Stanyon wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-26 18:40, gaddy wrote:
Marshall Brodien's magic shop at the "Old Chicago" amusement park.

That's going back a ways!

My first was the magic counter at Treasure Island in Chicago.

Cheers! Smile

that's going back ever FURTHER! LOL!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2007-11-27 16:05, Jaz wrote:
Ken's Magic & Costume Shop in Fairlawn, NJ and shortly afterwards Mecca Magic in Bloomfield, NJ.

Dang, Jaz! I seem to be just a few steps behind you...don't stop short...lol!

First the Hot Dogs and now Kens and Mecca! Ken is gone and there are new owners. Did you know Scott Gordan? and from Mecca, Ted got me into the IBM!

What part of NJ are you in?
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
The first shop I bought magic at was a combination magic Shop/ Costume Store in Greenwich Village in Manhattan called Abracadabra. We looked them up to get a magic set for my niece. I ended up chatting up the sales guy. So we got to talking about card magic, seems we both had similar interests. I ended up getting Ammar's card Miracles Vol 1 - 3. My life has never been the same since. He told me about a place called " Tannens" I have to be honest I was a total ignoramus about magic shops at the time, when I asked " Where are they at?" I sensed he was asking himself." is she for real?" Anyway I started hanging out there from time to time. The magicians that hung out there were awesome, they were the first people I did Card magic for.. and they were polite to admire my performance, they even gave me pointers.... Smile
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>