The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I want to see the manager! :: New groups in Secret Sessions :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
May I suggest introducing separate groups in the Secret Sessions for the 3-4 biggest (non-secret) groups, i.e Cards, Coins and Mentalism. Right now it's pretty much a jumble in the few shared groups, but more seriously - and this is the main reason I'm writing this - more seriously, a lot of secrets are accidently exposed in the everyday conversations on the open forums.

Sincerely,

Matias
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Add Stage Illusions to that Also
Dennis Michael
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
And goat magic.

Alright, perhaps not. Smile
Yakworld.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Smile
You're too funny, Yak.

I do think that that's a good idea you've had, Matias and I second it.

It is a bit of a jumble in that area of the cafe.

Gonz
:carrot: Smile
Hello.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of magicians that disagree with me but here goes: I think the paranoia of fearing that interlopers are out to get our secrets is misguided.

Let's just look at it logically: How many people, on the internet, will come to this site willfully or by accident?... and I'm talking non-magicians. I think already that's a small number. Okay, within this number some choose to go within the boards... how many of that small group do you think will take the time to sign up and give some phony info just to be able to log on?... even smaller.

In this microscopic group how many will have the tenacious quality to probe deeply into all these comments?... even smaller. And now, resting on this pinhead, how many will stay on long enough to get the required 50 posts to be able to enter the secret session?

And will those two be able to travel to the right spot to get the info? Do you see what I mean? The information is out there and yet regular people don't take the time to go to their regular libraries and pull out a free book that could explain things.

The Mask Magician shows up and magicians scream that this was the downfall of magic as we know it. Was it? No. Didn't one David Blaine become famous within this travesty of injustice? I had friends who sat and watched all the Masked shows, I actually did this test, they saw all my taped shows of the Masked Man. I quizzed them afterwards. I would say that their recollection of what was explained was vague and usually wrong... it's like witnesses at the scene of an accident -- they rarely remember things correctly.

Okay, so in oncoming years I've been with several of these friends while many of the World's Greatest Magicians shows played. Once again I quizzed them... they were still fooled by the same principles and could barely remember what they were shown on the Masked show.

Face it, guys, people, in general, are only concerned with what is important in THEIR lives... that's why we care so much about magic (it concerns us), but believe me the rest of society doesn't give up a gray cell to remember that you could use fake feet in an illusion.

I'm sure everyone who disagrees will have a personal story on how the Masked one affected their lives, but all professional magicians continue to work, you can still fool lay people with things that have been around for a century, and the sun continues to rise each morning.

I'll give you my own story: I know how the linking rings work, I've done the linking rings, I've read most of the books on the linking rings... well, there is a magician from Japan called Shoot who does a ring routine with small rings called Ninja Rings. I watch him do it and it still looks like the rings are melting through the metal. My brain is still being fooled while I watch it.

Don't worry you guys are all safe. Keep doing your work in magic and it will all pay off.

Yes, the truth is out there, but 99.999% of the population is too lazy to look for it.
Just my opinion.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Rather then spend a great deal of time attempting to explain and or justify my reasoning, here is the bottom line:

If I started adding the different forums you suggested, soon there would have to be more, and so on. Is there a mixture in Secret Sessions? Yes. But that's okay. As far as I'm concerned, there is more quality things to be learned in the open forums,

Thanks for taking the time
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks