The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Still Ringing - Aldo Colombini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
10cardsdown
View Profile
Special user
Out There Somewhere
664 Posts

Profile of 10cardsdown
Could anyone share some insight of this routine? Do you like it? Does it have a climax? There are 8 phases, is this repetitive or does it build? Is it worth the $20.00? Thanks! Smile
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
I like the routine. It has a climax. It's not repetitive, it builds. I personally prefer Aldo's "Ringing Around Too." Funny thing about "Still Ringing," when I first bought it I thought it was awful. It just didn't seem that magical to me. I finally was able to me Aldo and he performed it for me. Seeing him do it made me understand how it was supposed to flow. That's what made me like it.
-Chris
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
I purchased it from Aldo at his lecture. It is the Ring and Rope routine that I use now. My $20 was well spent. The routine works well.
10cardsdown
View Profile
Special user
Out There Somewhere
664 Posts

Profile of 10cardsdown
Which is better, Ringing Around Too, or Still Ringing? Smile
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2005-01-14 11:13, 10cardsdown wrote:
Which is better, Ringing Around Too, or Still Ringing? Smile

I don't have Ringing Around Too. However, Aldo both said and demonstrated that Still Ringing builds on Ringing Around Too, though Still Ringing can stand alone.
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
Ringing around too has great moves, very clever stuff...but it does not flow as well as Still Ringing. I love both routines...there are many ways to play with the individual moves to make them your own, it's a lot of fun.

I also like several moves that Jeff McBride teaches on his Stage Magic Vol.1 DVD

I don't prefer the length of rope he included in the packaged routine. In my opinion it is too short. I like to use a piece of rope that is much longer, but try experimenting. Also find a better ring. The plastic ring he provides is too light, at least I prefer something more substantial.

You might even try a ninja ring and a length of velvet cord, I've seen that used in a very beautiful way.

But overall, I would say it's a great buy for $20
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2005-01-14 17:57, BradleyNott wrote:
I don't prefer the length of rope he included in the packaged routine. In my opinion it is too short. I like to use a piece of rope that is much longer, but try experimenting. Also find a better ring. The plastic ring he provides is too light, at least I prefer something more substantial.

You might even try a ninja ring and a length of velvet cord, I've seen that used in a very beautiful way.

Very good points. I also use a longer piece of rope and another ring. Recently there was a thread about rings to possibly use. You may consider a tack shop to get a heavier ring for the routine.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Hank Moorehouse sells heavy brass rings that may work - 4" in diameter if I recall right. I don't do the routine but I'm tempted to buy both a brass ring and Aldo's routine.
10cardsdown
View Profile
Special user
Out There Somewhere
664 Posts

Profile of 10cardsdown
I ordered and just received Still Ringing. Unfortunately, I must say that I'm dissappointed with the material. All this manuscript is is a compilation of other people's moves put into a certain order. Aldo even admits this in the introduction. Sorry, nothing new or earthshattering here. Smile
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
Well, it's a very similar 'concept' to what Jennings did many times as well, but with cards. Putting together other peoples moves to create a new flow.

Granted, the moves themselves are not new, but the way in which they lead into another is pretty nice and fairly educational for rope and ring material.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
As mentioned in one of the above posts, 10cardsdown, Aldo Colombini credits each move because he invented the actual routine, not the moves themselves. Thumbslinger is correct. The moves are not new but the way that Aldo puts the moves together to create the routine is great and very innovative.

A routine is, a series of moves combined together to create a complete trick that flows. Aldo Colombini did a great job putting the moves together and creating Still Ringing and Ringing Around Too. Both great Rope and Ring routines.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon