The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Wanted...Locking Ninja Key Ring! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
If someone has a locking key ring that matches the ninja set, please let me know.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Okay, I have to ask... Why?

Ninja is a closeup routine, the key ring shouldn't be handed for examination anyway. If it is, even the best of locking rings wouldn't pass close scrutiny.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
I would agree, I do the routine and I never get asked about them, plus in my experience with the locking rings they are an annoyance because they always lock on me during a routine, its less of a hassel to do without it, and cheaper in most cases
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I've used a locking key with a 12 inch set, and there are some very nice subtle touches that can be done with it, so the same could be done with the Ninja rings.

Concerning the responses John has received, I've never heard of the locking key ring being used so that a ring can be handed out for examination. That is not the purpose of a locking key. Also, I've never had the key lock on me in performance - I don't see how that can happen, unless you've got a cheaply made set.

Back to John's request: I've never seen a locking ring that small. Perhaps, someone like Joe Porper will come out with one; it would be nice.

Ron
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
Dave and Steve...you must have misunderstood my question. Thank you for your help. Advice on my routine that you are not familiar with is very...helpful.

To further explain (for Dave)...I don't need one for technical reasons. I have a very artistic routine with very original and unique moves and displays that make even magicians truly appreciate. There is a special display that I want to accomplish which would require this gimmick. It is the only time in the routine that the locking feature would be utilized, and it would be absolutely beautiful.

I don't want to seem rude. However, inquistive minds that insist on giving advice instead of answers to the actual question seem to have an overwhelming presence in the Café.

Thanks,

John B. Born
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2005-01-04 22:49, Ron Reid wrote:
Hello:

I've used a locking key with a 12 inch set, and there are some very nice subtle touches that can be done with it, so the same could be done with the Ninja rings.

Concerning the responses John has received, I've never heard of the locking key ring being used so that a ring can be handed out for examination. That is not the purpose of a locking key. Also, I've never had the key lock on me in performance - I don't see how that can happen, unless you've got a cheaply made set.

Back to John's request: I've never seen a locking ring that small. Perhaps, someone like Joe Porper will come out with one; it would be nice.

Ron

Joe Porper doesn't have that small of a "locking" ring per se, but he offered during the 70's (and I think that he just recently started offering them again) a Ninja Ring size set of Ghost Rings that gives a great apperance of having no gap. The "key" ring can't be examined by the spectators, but from even a close distance you'd be hard pressed to see the closed gap. Check out his website or contact him directly. http://www.porperoriginals.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2005-01-05 14:44, John Born wrote:

...I don't want to seem rude. However, inquistive minds that insist on giving advice instead of answers to the actual question seem to have an overwhelming presence in the Café.

John, to be fair you didn't give us much to go on, so directly answering your question without understanding why you needed it could have resulted in some very costly advice. A beginner merely looking for an "out" to replace practice needs to know that gimmicks aren't the best answer. Most of our members are either seeking or giving advice; it sort of goes with the territory.

So, now that we know why you need it, the answer is easier. If you have $150 to spend, yes Joe Porper makes a small set that should meet your requirements. It's not exactly a matching ring for the Ninja set, but an entire set unto itself.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
Thank you. Smile
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi John:

I agree with your observation concerning those who wish to give advice here at the Café. I think your question was as straight forward as can be, and "why" you needed it wasn't needed information.

I will keep my eyes open concerning the locking key, and will let you know if I see something. Meanwhile, the Ghost ring which MJ Marrs mentioned might be worth checking out - the drawback is that it's very expensive.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Ron, I assume that's directed to me since I'm the one who asked. Once I understand the question fully, I'm better prepared to offer an answer. I'm just funny that way.

As a tech support guy, I had a request to replace a computer. Once the "real" reason is unveiled (he had been surfing too many unsavory sites and the pop-ups were slowing him down) I was able to fix the problem without resorting to extreme measures of starting over with an all new machine, only to have him slow that one down the same way.

John could have gotten two different answers: (No, there is no locking key match for Ninja) but hopefully he got a useful answer anyway (Yes, but they're not "Ninjas" and they're only available as a matching set) Two opposite answers to the same question, but technically both are correct. Which do you suppose is the more useful answer?