The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Buying linking rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
Alright, I got the Jeff McBride Magic on Stage series and have loved it. I want to step into the realm of the linking rings, but I'd like some advice first.

I know there are solid steel rings, hollow steel rings and solid aluminum rings in quality levels from decent to pro. Some are stainless steel, others are polished aluminum and still more are plated with nickel or chrome. I also know that sets get pretty pricey in the higher quality range (IE Owens, Proline, etc.)

I have heard some say to make a small investment before you decide if you want to do rings since you will likely have them forever. Well, I know I want to do rings so I'm not entirely opposed to a more expensive set.

That in mind, I'd like everyone's input.

I'm looking for a standard key 8-ring 10-12 inch set.

Final questions.

Aluminum isn't the first metal that comes to mind when I think of strength. Why can a set made of solid aluminum such as the Proline set be favorable? Is it for their lightweight nature or sound quality? Could they ever be warped through repeated crash links, etc.?

What about hollow steel tubing?

Thanks for all advice in advance.

Happy Holidays,

Brad Nott
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Hollow stainless steel by Owen will last your lifetime and more.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I would advise you to set your goals a little lower and get better quality. That is to say, you can find a set of very nice 8 inch rings for about $50. I do mean nice ones.

As for the manufacturing, I have aluminum, stainless, and hollow. I much prefer stainless. I hate the sound of the hollow. The aluminum is only 'better'. I'm a strong guy so the lightness of the aluminum is not a factor.

8 inch rings are very impressive for up to parlor magic. Invest in a good set of those and you'll be happy.

By the way, once you get good with those check out a cheap set of 5 inch rings like the Royal Magic rings. I really have a blast with mine.
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
Thank you both for the prompt advice. I'd love to hear more input from anyone that has opinions.

Brad
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Brad:

Concerning the size of rings, if you're doing mostly private parties and smaller groups, then 8 inch rings will be okay (like rik said). For larger shows, the 10 and 12 inch rings look much better. Also, I think McBride does some moves where the rings are put around his neck - I don't think you would be able to do these moves with 8 inch rings.

I like to have props that can be used anywhere and everywhere, so I suggest a 12 inch set. They're not too big for parlor shows, plus can be performed on the largest stage.

A couple years ago, I bought a four ring set of the Owen rings. They truely are as beautiful as everyone says. They are rugged - I can see how they'll last a lifetime. They also are expensive - about $75.00 per ring. I'm pretty sure Jeff McBride is using the Owen rings on his video. I've not seen the Proline rings, but they've gotten rave reviews, and I noticed that Denny and Lee sell them, so they must be good. So, if you can afford it, I'd say to go with the Owen or Proline rings unless...

...Unless you want to do the Chris Capehart routine. Chris Capehart has a three ring routine that is the most amazing ring routine you'll ever see - he crashes the rings together just inches away from spectator's faces, and it looks like metal is going thru metal. It can be done anywhere - he did it on the streets of New York for years. I mention this because his routine depends on a thinner, cheaper key ring with more "give" to it. It is really hard to do his routine with the Owen rings because they are so solid. So, if you're planning on doing his routine, I'd suggest a thinner ring.

I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Ron
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jay Marshall had a blacksmith make his rings, and the size was figured to JUST fit over his head.

Except on the biggest stages, I suggest 10-inch rings.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I hasten to add that I love my 12 inch rings and these are my preference, but I did start with 8 inch ones and I still use them from time to time.
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Brad,

Not long ago I was asking the same kind of questions you are and having the same feelings. I got hooked on the RINGS after watching the Cellini “Lord and Master Of The Rings” DVD. After that I have tried to get my hands on everything I can about the RINGS. I was not sure if I wanted 8”, 10”, or 12”, So I got a set of each. I could not afford the Owens but got a nice set of Klamm 12-inch rings to start with. I got both a standard and a locking k*y ring. I have not had any use for the locking ring and personally do not see any benefit of it. So my suggestion is to go with the standard k*y.
After about a year of playing with my different sets the 12” are my favorite. I even use them for close up with a modified version of the Michael Skinner routine.
I prefer a set of 10 or 12 inch rings. Once you get the rings practice practice practice all you can
But
Most of all Have Fun with them.

I would suggest that you get the best set of rings you can afford, Right now I am saving for a new set of OWENS.

kOnO

You can check out the Klamm rings at
http://www.klamm-magic.com/cgi-bin/web_s......78_28943

They are a very nice people to deal with.
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
I noticed that the Klamm rings are nickel-plated solid steel. I've heard some people complain about nickel plating chipping after repeated use and irritating their hands. Is this common and something I should worry about or is it just an issue a particular person had with their own rings?

Again thank you all for your advice, I can actually feel myself getting smarter and it doesn't hurt yet!

Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
334 Posts Posted: Jan 1, 2005 9:40pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I was going to suggest you get a Klamm set. They are steel and well plated. Most all others are imports and are really junk. If you do not want to go the high price of Owen. Get the Klamm set. He is great to work with and if you have any problems, I am sure he will correct it.

Plus you will have the advantage of adding rings that actually match your set. I.E. oversize, locking, extra. His rings are the best looking of the lower end set. I would put his sets as a medium high ranking.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Brad,

I've only know the Klamms about twenty-five or thirty years. However, I think you can trust them to do what's right.

I remember at SEAM several years ago, my wife Lucy needed a way to transform a live goose to a live goat in our stage show. I introduced her to the Klamms and told her to let them handle it. She wrote him a very large check (Think custom made stage illusion with crating and motor freight) and told him she wanted it to be purple. He asked for the sizes and weights of the animals. Nothing else was described. The prop was bought with virtually no photos, drawings, verbal desriptions, etc., we just agreed upon a price. The new prop that arrived on time, was exactly what she needed, was purple (of course) with very nice gold trim, was easy to learn, works perfectly, and is still in her stage act today! No part of this transaction was as cheap as the most expensive of linking rings. You're in good hands.

I also agree with many of the others. The standard k** ring is as good as it gets. Other gadgets are interesting but they won't help the show. Practice is the best investment.

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
Thank you all for your kind advice. I think I have a much better understanding of what to look for now.
tenkal
View Profile
New user
Spain
46 Posts

Profile of tenkal
Hello, I am thinking about a set of 8 linking rings (10 inch). They are made of stainless steel.

I would like to read some reviews about stainless steel rings because I know there are chromed linking rings too, so I do not really know which ones to buy.

I think Richard Ross uses stainless steel in his video, I think someone named it before. Am I right?

Thanks
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tenkal,

That is a reasonable question. Stainless rings don't chip; if scratched, they are the same color underneath; and I like the way they sound. (So, yes, I have some of those too!)

But the reality is that we are in show business. Chrome ones are absolutely flasher on stage. So that's what I really use!

Size is another issue. The 12" are about as large as can be managed. I use 10" because they are the smallest that I can put over my head to get them around my neck and out of my way.

Hank uses 8" so they will fit into his table more easily. That makes sense too!

You're the best judge. It's your show. What are your priorities?

Rings are very replacable.

Good Luck with your shopping!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Listen to Pete and go for the Owens or if you can find them a set of Rings and Things. I've had a set of R&T for 29 years and they look and sound great. And I do use them in our show. They're a 10 inch set. A while back I purchased a set of Klamm 12 inch rings and they had a lot of scratches and bad plating. But they were only $100 so you get what you pay for. He would not take them back though. I eventually sold them.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I find it amazing how many times someone besides me, has said "Owen" to buy rings and the question keeps coming up.

Sure there are others, but if you are serious and want them to last a couple of lifetimes, or more, Owen's are CHEAP.

Posted: Jan 8, 2005 4:27pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, yes, I work for Owens' competitor, Joe Porper on projects, but Joe does NOT make sets, just specialty rings, like 3-ring sets, Split Rings (killere) and Spinning Ring (another Killer) but these are stand alone effects. BTW his locker is the ONLY one I would recommend. He still makes a few "Ghost Rings" too, both big and small.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Let's see if I can help a little. You want to step into the world of linking rings. I would suggest that you begin with the Royal Magic 5" rings. They cost about $10. You can start learning the mechanics of the moves with those. Yes, the big ones will handle SO much differently, but at least you can figure out which ring goes where, which one to grab. When you do step up to the bigger rings you will find them easier than they would be if you just tried to start off. The $10 won't be mis-spent. You'll use those little rings, I guarantee it. I use mine all the time, You can carry them in your pocket.

No, you won't do the fancy McBride spinning them around your body, but you will get a chance to get started. As the old saying goes... "Once begun, it's half done."

You'll also note that McBride says on his Command Act DVD that if you have less than 12" rings, just upgrade. I think that I agree.