The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Mark Leveridge's Wild Dice Routine (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
stuper1
View Profile
New user
California
100 Posts

Profile of stuper1
Can anybody tell me whether this routine is any good? Thanks.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Can you describe it?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
stuper1
View Profile
New user
California
100 Posts

Profile of stuper1
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
IF it suits your needs, get it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
marcjh
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
139 Posts

Profile of marcjh
Generally I like Mark's stuff, but I am not a fan of this trick. First thing you should know is that this trick appears on one of his videos. So check out L and L publishing because you can get the video for like $10.

I think there are better tricks out there with similar plots- such as the classic 3 shell game. I do not think that this trick will fool anyone. When the spectator wants to examine the props, she will easily figure out the method. I'd save my money
stuper1
View Profile
New user
California
100 Posts

Profile of stuper1
Thank you. That's exactly the type of thing I wanted to know.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I too usually find Marks tricks very good but this one simply looks phoney.
Greg
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Greg
I have used this on several occassions (close-up type show for 20 + people) and found it went over well. When performing, you need to always keep in mind not to present in a fashion where the spectators will want to grab the props. If they do, then you need a better presentation.
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
I agree with Greg, I saw this routine and love it, I have smaller dice but does anyone know where I can find American match boxes that will do the trick
jodbirch
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
12 Posts

Profile of jodbirch
Hey, I also was disappointed to find out the matchboxes he uses for the routine are different than "American" ones. I thought I might try to use the Adam's coin slide "Bunny" box, but I don't think it's the right size either. Does Mark Leveridge sell them?
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I just stumbled across this routine on a DVD (with no explanation). Has anyone had any luck finding the correct size matchboxes in the US?

Thanks,
Jim
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Quote:
On 2005-02-14 00:40, jodbirch wrote:
Hey, I also was disappointed to find out the matchboxes he uses for the routine are different than "American" ones. ... Does Mark Leveridge sell them?

I'd advise purchasing the trick and routine (including all the props) direct from Mark Leveridge. Its not too expensive and it really is a visual, convincing and well-routined trick!
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Quote:
On 2004-12-17 05:09, eddieloughran wrote:
I too usually find Marks tricks very good but this one simply looks phoney.

so you think using metal cups, woolen or cfocheted balls are less 'phoney' than regular matchboxes and ungimmicked dice? Strange logic to me...
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I think that this is a nice little routine. It starts like a three shell monte, moves into a cups in balls type of routine and ends with amazing final loads. All that from a self-containte little package.

I've played it in a number of home parties (sitting on the floor and using a coffee table) and gotten good reactions. I tend to let the other party goers do the card tricks.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
I agree with the positive posts. I think this routine is really nice and I have it on one of his videos. I prefer this to the shell/pea actually. It is more visual and more people can see it if you are at a table in restaurant. Ok, you have to gaurd against 'grabbers' but that is a minor thing I think. If you condition your spectators never to grab (I forbid it for my card tricks even though I do not use any gaffes at all - it would be a little odd to let them examine one thing and not something 5 minutes later.)
mrsmiles
(UK)
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You know, almost 20 years of performing this trick (yes it is that old!) in a number of different venues, including restaurants, kitchen tables (at parties), on coffee tables (at parties), in formal close-up shows at magic conventions (back when I went to them and competed - never won), on the street (busking - it works and the police don’t confuse it for gambling), and even at a couple of comedy clubs (audience of about 100 or less) no one has ever tried to grab my props! Does it really happen to you? Has it happened?

The only prop I have ever had grabbed was a chop cup when I was doing an “in the spectator’s hand” sequence. Another person wanted to have it her hand and grabbed it. Lucky she didn’t look inside and see what should not have been seen. The trick ended well and I even repeated that sequence in the first girl’s hand a couple of beats later.

One of the best things in magic is that there is so very much of it and individual tricks don't appeal to, or fit the personality or performing style of every performer. We get to find what fits us best and use it. If that were not so then we would all be performing the same tricks and routines.

Recently I watched three magicians perform the exact same trick using the exact same routine (and also using almost the same script/patter) at a convention. There were three different reactions. The first guy fell flat and got no reaction at all from the trick. The second woman did a good job and had the audience in her pocket and got a rousing round of applause. The last guy whom you would have expected to be greeted with groans did very well and also got a good response from the audience.

If I had my way, no one would be doing anything I do (especially not this trick)! In fact, most of my stuff is so old that no one remembers it, has seen it before, or does it! Mark Lewis is fond of saying that he doesn't read magic books that are newer than 50 years old.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I recently got a this item and find the routine fun and clever.
The handling is not too difficult except that you have to memorize the sequence.

Anyone knows where can I replace the match box?
Bernard Sim
kroberge
View Profile
New user
Old Town, Maine
75 Posts

Profile of kroberge
I don't have the trick but I saw it on "The World's Greatest Collection of Magic Performances Ever 3" or something like that. (the free DVD L&L send you when you buy something). I thought it was awesome looking. That's just my spectator point of view.

Kevin
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Harry,
I don't actually encounter grabbers much at all but it would be untrue to say it never happens (in my case). Hence I don't allow them to grab and examine any props - As I said above, I get that request for playing cards sometimes so I don't allow it (even though I used ungaffed cards 99% of the time) as I find it suspicious to not allow an inspection of something else later. I might get this problem a bit because from the start of my set most of my tricks happen in the audiences hands - thus they get used to opening their hands looking at the suprise end to the routine and then giving the item a good going over before they hand it back. So I suppose I precondition them. By and large I don't use gaffed items.
best wishes,
mrsmiles
(UK)
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
My performance flows back and forth. Some effects in the spectator's hands and some just "show and tell". I don't slow the act down by asking or letting people examine props. After it's over every thins is put away and I've moved on.

If it's a party situation, I am engaging the folks in conservation and move the topic to interesting ideas rather than looking at props.

I guess most folks believe (after it is all done) that everything has been examined since some (much) of it was. I typically close a trick that I can leave out (borrowed item like bill to balloon). All the heat is there not on three tricks back.

But then, maybe I've just been lucky so far (touch wood!). One has to do what works for one.