The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Crazy Man's Handcuffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
stuper1
View Profile
New user
California
100 Posts

Profile of stuper1
Do you find when performing this effect that you need to use some type of misdirection when actually doing the move, or can you do it without detection while people are staring at your hands?
jbmagic12250
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of jbmagic12250
If you have the spectator focus the attention on your left hand or where the bands meet it should work well for you. I know you aren't supposed to do a trick over again to the same spectators but I have done it six times in a row and never get caught.
RydinDubs
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of RydinDubs
If you feel you need some misdirection then you should play around with the handling..you don't have to do it tha same way they teach it...for instance when I'm showing that the bands can't go through each other I give my wrist a little twist that hides the move a little better...hope this helps
stuper1
View Profile
New user
California
100 Posts

Profile of stuper1
RydinDubs,
So, it sounds like you don't feel you need misdirection?
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
Before learning thie effect, I must have watched a friend do it 20-30 times and never had a clue to the method.
Bill Thomas
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Bill Thomas
I never use any mis-direction. I have never been caught.

Also, I think it's ok to repeat this trick - maybe just show it from different angles - I always do it 2 maybe 3 times.

Bill
Nikos
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Nikos
Before I bought the Dan Harlan Rubber Band DVDs I asked the owner of the magic store if he knew the effect where you make two rubber bands pass through each other.

He showed me the CMHs and even though I watched him closely I had no idea how it was done. He performed it pretty much like Dan Harlan explains/performs it. It really is invisible.

I have never been caught but just as I am about to do "the move" I must admit I do get a little anxious.
Jessie Altamirano
View Profile
New user
Corona, CA
11 Posts

Profile of Jessie Altamirano
I have never been caught with out misdirection. I do it three times, two different angles and once with a spectator holding a rubberband.

Jessie
Now you see it... now you don't!
RydinDubs
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of RydinDubs
Stuper,

I don't feel that I do need misdirection...I just give older tricks newer flavor...don't be afraid to change things up...for instance when I do the effect on the first penetration I only make it go through the top part of the rubberband then stop showing it just hanging there...then reset and the second penetration I make it go through the top again pause then make it go through the bottom part..and finally I just do the regular penetration...
stuper1
View Profile
New user
California
100 Posts

Profile of stuper1
RydinDubs,
Sounds awesome. Where can I learn how to do it like you just described?
RydinDubs
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of RydinDubs
Easy I'll tell you I have no problem helping anyone as long as they can help me when tha time comes...but you already know how to do it...just didn't think about it...it would probably be easier if I showed you via web cam...what messenger you got
stuper1
View Profile
New user
California
100 Posts

Profile of stuper1
I don't know. I don't use instant messaging.

It sounds like everybody agrees that no misdirection should be needed. Does this assume that the move is being performed fairly rapidly, or can it be done leisurely without misdirection? If it needs to be done rapidly, then I've got a whole lot more practicing to do.
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Hi Stuper1.
When I perform CMH, I don't use ANY misdirection. I just make up a patter and do it. If you have the feeling that someone might suspect you for doing the "move", then practice, practice, practice, until you get the move down perfectly. It took me a lot of time to learn this effect but I was patient, and I just kept practicing. Now when I perform it, no one notices it. In fact, in past performances, I had the same feeling as you have that someone might suspect. But not anymore. Trust me, practice, get the move down and you'll be very confident.

Good luck my magic friend,
Best,
Michael
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of cosermann
I don't use any misdirection for the first penetration and use a bit on the second.

When doing the CMH move, the hands are typically in motion, which helps tremendously. It's difficult to see detail in motion. I'm not saying the hands should move fast. Most people move them too fast in my opinion. But at a nice moderate pace the move is almost undetectable when done correctly. The second time I do the penetration with one band on their fingers, I touch their hand when I pull the bands apart (like I'm helping hold their hand in place). That misdirects a bit. It's probably not necessary, but I'm more confortable with that since it IS the second time I've done the same effect for the same person.
Regards,
Eric
trainspotter
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of trainspotter
I always perform CMH as described in Magic of Michael Ammar book, and never got caught. Though some misdirection (stretching up and down with your hand) can be added to the second penetration (when the spectator is holding one rubber band).
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
I've shown the trick to people a couple of times without them getting it, and I've never bothered with misdirection.

One person in paricular has seen me do it maybe 30, 40 times, and still doesn't know how it's done. I've even done it slow with the 2nd band on her fingers, she still can't get it. This person knows how most of my tricks are done, and this one drives her nuts.

It's a beautiful trick.

-MM
MoonBeam
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MoonBeam
When I perform CMH, I always say to the spec “look…they are locked together”…then just do the move while they are looking at the intersection of the bands. The move takes place just far enough away.

MoonBeam
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I hate the word misdirection. I prefer 'attention direction' which we should all do constantly. i.e. instead of saying "Here's a sneaky bit...I better make them look away" say "Where do I want the audience to look at each point in a routine and why?"
Ingo Brehm
View Profile
New user
Germany
61 Posts

Profile of Ingo Brehm
The secret move to seperate the two rubber bands is already the (mis-)direction in itself. A large move covers a small move! That's it. There is no need to do more. You only can make the effect weaker by directing the attention away from the bands. You enhance the impact of the effect by letting the spectator look at the rubber bands all the time very closely.
Darko
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Darko
I never use misdirection on Crazy Man's Handcuffs. Ingo said and he is correct: misdirection makes the effect weaker. If the spectator looks at the rubber bands all the time, the magical effect is very great.