The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Size Velvet Cord (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
I was wondering what size Velvet cord Gregory Wilson uses for his Ring Leader.I've seen some on line but didn't know exactly what width. It looks like 6 or 7mm.Thanks for any response.
Allen
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
I found some and went ahead and orderd some from spain. I sure hope that's the right cord. I know it really doesn't matter what you use but it brings a nice touch.

Allen
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
My suggestion... you may not want "exactly" the same length as Gregory, or anyone else. Your gestures may be larger or smaller.

Go to a place like Michaels or a Joannes. They will have this cord in spools. You can get several feet pretty inexpensively and do some trial and error... and have backup cord if you lose or wear out what you have.

OR, just get any old string (kite string, box string) and try out different lengths until you see what suits you. Then, you can buy the "good stuff" and get just what you need
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
Thanks Scott I went ahead and ordered some some velvet cord.I should have done what you suggested and seen first. I didn't think about Michaels or Joannes.
Allen
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Larry Barnowsky sells some nice velvet cord on his website: https://www.barnowskymagic.com/pricelistkotr3.html

Jim
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
Thank you J-Mac I went to the site and the cord looked really nice. I'll probably end up buying his velvet cord and maybe his book/dvd combo.
Allen
Blaine G
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Blaine G
Go to Joanne Fabric and find some cord that works for you. It doesn't need to be velvet. I found some gold and silver cords, different sizes, and just messed around until it was right for me.
A tip when cutting nylon cords so they don't fray: Do not try to melt the ends, they always look bad. Cut and then use glue that dries clear but still has some flexibility on the last 1/2 inch of cord. Let the first cost dry and then trim the end a bit if necessary. Apply a second coat. I use "E 6000" glue/epoxy. Figured this out many years ago for Ringon/Ringon ring flight when I needed new cord. It comes out great. (If anyone still uses Ringon/Ringon I substituted out the pen with a small finished wood wand with a hole drilled into it)
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2020, Scott Horn wrote:
My suggestion... you may not want "exactly" the same length as Gregory, or anyone else. Your gestures may be larger or smaller.

Go to a place like Michaels or a Joannes. They will have this cord in spools. You can get several feet pretty inexpensively and do some trial and error... and have backup cord if you lose or wear out what you have.

OR, just get any old string (kite string, box string) and try out different lengths until you see what suits you. Then, you can buy the "good stuff" and get just what you need

This: ^^^
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Hello. I was in your shoes a couple years ago and my local stores didn't have any. I ended up buying the following and it works great. Its out of stock here but you can find ir elsewhere.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Simplicity-3-......95813560
bbguy09
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of bbguy09
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2020, Scott Horn wrote:

I came here for this and I didn't even know it... Thank you for the sound advice, sir!
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
392 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
My experience is that velvet cord is usually not available in stores any longer. With a little searching, you can find it on line. The velvet cord that Gregory Wilson uses is perfect for most routines. Those of you who do these types of routines, probably know to remove the center of the cord. This makes it softer and more pliable.