The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Refilling a Needle-Thru-Balloon Wand with Da' Lube (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
flowJuggler
View Profile
New user
East Coast USA
71 Posts

Profile of flowJuggler
Hi All... Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am hoping to learn a technique for filling the wand that holds the needle with Petroleum Jelly. I find this a tedious and messy job.

I have taken globs and put it on top of the hole and tried pushing it down with my finger. And yes, I took off the end first. I have also used the needle to stuff the jelly down the shaft...still not very effective.

I thought I had the problem licked when I decided to fill my mouth with the PJ and try to blow it down into the tube. Frankly, I wouldn't reccomend that technique to anyone.

I am sure that someone out there is more clever than I.

So how do you do it? How does one refill the wand with the jelly without making a mess or eating it?

I appologize if this has already been addressed. I did searches and could not find anything concerning my question.
Ãœber goodest signature ever.
VarietyArtsBlog.com
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I haven't done this effect for 30 or more years but all I did was have a handkerchief with some petroleum jelly on it and when the time came to do the effect, I just gently wiped the needle through the handkerchief.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
edfliss
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
58 Posts

Profile of edfliss
I have a 30 cc syringe and a 16 gauge needle from my days as a lab researcher. It may not be easy for someone outside the lab/medical world to get hold of these, but they are pretty effective at filling the storage wand. It helps to warm the Vaseline first.

BTW--I use an old 50cc syringe for injecting a teflon additive into the differential of my car.

Ed
flowJuggler
View Profile
New user
East Coast USA
71 Posts

Profile of flowJuggler
Thanks Irossall... I have been contemplating moving to the oily rag method. Especially since when pulling the needle out of the wand, often times it gathers too much of the jelly and collects at the insertion point on the balloon. It doesn't cause any problems but it can be seen and is cause for suspicion. Now that I think of it, some sort of sponge inserted into the want that held oil might be a good solution for that.

As for the wand...if I can find a solution for the filling of it, I would prefer to use it. One less thing to carry and it keeps the yuckies away from everything else I am carrying.

And Ed...I like the syringe idea. I have seen large syringes at the market for infusing Yummies into Turkeys and the such. Perhaps I will get one of those and give it a try. Thanks.

On the oily rag IN the wand idea...anyone do it or have a solution for too much jelly on the wand. I usually try to wipe it off with my fingers, but then I have it on my fingers. Perhaps a fake sneeze and wiping it on a volunteer is the solution.

Just kidding.

Paul

Well, its been about a year and here I am again, faced with two wands to refill. Another year older and another year wiser...eh? This time I am thinking of getting a rod that fits snugly in the barrel and using it as a plunger for the wand. Then I could just use the wand like a syringe and do a little sucky-sucky every now and then. Fitting it with an o-ring would be nice touch. Hmmm...I don't seem to be able to do something like this with great ease. Anyone want to make 2?

:bg:

Paul
Ãœber goodest signature ever.
VarietyArtsBlog.com