The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Dave Powell's Coin of the Realm & Steel Ball Through Glass (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1555 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I'm a sucker for beautiful and well made magic props. I've never owned either Coin of the Realm or Steal Ball Through Glass but I've been admiring both of them on Dave Powell's site. I know how they work and, frankly, that's one of the reasons I've never purchased one. But Dave's descriptions state his boxes are fully examinable. If that's true, I'm very interested in Dave's version of these effects.

Does anyone own either of these made by Dave Powell? If so, are they indeed fully examinable without any fear of discovery?

Thanks!

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't have these models, but in my years in magic, I have handled several different versions. You mention you know how they work, so you should realize that the pieces can be examined. Like any prop, you don't let them take it home and tear it apart. So simply handing the parts to the spectator one at a time, to prove they are ordinary will not reveal any clues. Then examined when, before or after the effect, he does not say. That should tell you something.

These effects could always be examined, even the old U.F. Grant models. It is a controlled examination, just like having silver, copper, brass coin trick coins being examined at the outset of the routine.

I don't know what you think, when you read the word "examine" but it must be something totally different then having to show a magic effect, and keep the entertainment moving along.

Just to mention, you know that these two effects are the same effect to the spectators, so you would not show them in the same presentation set.

Just some food for thought.