The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Which Thimble For Beginner? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
From Bill Tarr’s brief description (a section in his Now You See It, Now You Don’t), my interest in thimbles is stimulated. Wal-Mart sells good-looking brass thimbles for about a dollar, but having tried several sizes they keep dropping off my fingers. Am I just clumsy or would plastic, wood, or some modification provide a thimble that was easy to pull off, but hard to fall off?

Guidance on thimble instruction after Tarr and other advice from a veteran manipulator would also be appreciated. Thanks.
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
I would think you should purchase a set of thimbles by Royal Magic. Their thimbles are tapered so it should fit all of your finger without coming off. It's inexpensive to purchase it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Regular thimbles from Wal-Mart and sewing stores come in sizes. Just purchase a size for each finger. Failing that it has been suggested to line tape inside the thimble. It should set on the tip of your fingers, not go all the way to the bottom of the thimble.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Right, put some adhesive tape inside the thimbles. Start with real thimbles, the kind you find in sewing departments.

After all, that is what John Ramsay used. I have one of his thimbles--he had some made with his name printed on them.

After you learn to handle this kind, you may want to check out other dealer type thimbles. I used to have great success with Berland's thimble act (they show up on ebay often).

Then Werry, in Europe made some nice ones.

Joe Porper makes some awesome brass thimbles and Fakini makes some out of a silicone that are very interesting.

And, as soon as I can find the woodworker, will be re-issuing my routine.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com