The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: CMH - Michael Ammar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jaime Pirnie
View Profile
New user
Tracy, CA
65 Posts

Profile of Jaime Pirnie
Last weekend I bought Crazy Man's Handcuffs by Michael Ammar. It arrived yesterday and I read through it last night. I bought it from http://www.themagicwarehouse.com .

I've gotta say - I wasn't impressed at all with the instrunctions. After reading it over three times and looking at the pictures, it still wasn't clear to me how to do the basic move.

Does anyone have the same thing that I bought? If so, do you have any suggestions on how I can interpret the instructions better? Smile

Thanks for any information anyone might have,
-Jaime
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Hey Jaime,

I also have the instructions (pink cover, right?), and they actually explained "the move" quite adequately for me as well as many, many others.

If I were you, I'd go back and look at the instructions again to make sure you read them thoroughly (you might have already done that, but it never hurts to do it again), to be sure that you didn't miss anything. Hopefully, this time around it will "click in" what he's trying to say.

Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful, but get some rubberbands and try to work your way through it. Hope this helps!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
wert
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of wert
Try finding a video demo on the web somewhere. Actually being able to *see* the routine multiple times might clear it up for you. I know I was having some troubles with the "asher twist" and seeing a video of it really helped with timing, flow, etc...
Nae Blis
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Nae Blis
It can be tricky to learn because it is an almost perfect illusion. Just keep playing with it and reading the instructions, pay close attention to the pictures.

Once you do get it down, practice, practice, practice. Get this one down, mix it up a bit. Work up the illusion, don't just do the
"Trick Move". You will amaze people with this very strong impromptu effect. Don't give up, it will click.

-Wade
It takes a big man to cry...... but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
589 Posts

Profile of wayman
Quote:
do you have any suggestions on how I can interpret the instructions better?

let your grandmother read the instructions.
CMH has always reminded me of knitting for some strange reason (honest), she will know and then show you. (or not) Smile
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I actually learned it from Slydini's notes on it. (Brown booklet) "The linking bands." I also have instructions from Ammar on the effect in his book "The Magic of Michael Ammar." I had such a hard time trying to learn this effect. But after reading it over and over for a long time, it clicked. If you still don't understand how to do it after a while. Get ahold of me via pm, chat or email. I can maybe try and walk you through some of it. Take it easy Jamie.
Brian
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Hello Jamie!
I had the same problem learning the trick from the pink coverd "stereo instructions"
but finally figured it out with a little help from the Guys at the local magic shop
Magicland Dallas, Tx. I could give you a few pointers and tips that they gave me that made it MUCH easier.. I didn't think I had it right, because it looked too visible, but I did, it just needed a bit of tweaking. The instructions actually were very good, it was just really hard to learn when I had never seen it performed. I go back and read them now and think to myself "duuuh" *L* Smile
drop me an e-mail
tdefrange@wjhw.com
c-ya
Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
589 Posts

Profile of wayman
Magic Tom raises a good point,
Jaime, have you seen CMH performed?
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Jaime,

If you haven't seen CMH performed, you can see it here. This isn't the best example (you'll see his "mistake"), but it does give you an idea of what it should look like.

Hope this helps!
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Ok, Jeff,
Got a question for you... You said we would see his mistake, being that I am fairly new with CMH as well, I would like to point out what I saw and see if it is the same
mistake(s) that you are referring to...

1. Pulling the rubber bands apart more than once?

2. After the secret move the rubber bands are pressed a bit too tightly against each other for the display causing them to bend a bit at the intersection....

if this is not what you have found, let me know... I may be making a mistake that I dont know about...
by the way...Thanks for the vid
Later
Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Tom,

Nope, you hit both nails right on the head...those are the mistakes I saw. However, I didn't count pulling the bands twice as a mistake (I know, I know...Mr. Ammar tells you not to do it, but I think its more a matter of personal taste).

Don't thank me for the video...I just provided the link. I'm glad you enjoyed though! Please feel free to email or PM me if you have any further questions.
BillParky
View Profile
Regular user
Atherton,Manchester,U.K.
123 Posts

Profile of BillParky
Hi Jaime
You're right, the instructions are hard to follow but you asked your question only a few hours after obtaining Ammar's instructions. Now you've had a week and the benefit of some excellent advice in this thread is it getting any clearer?
In my view Ammar's instruction booklet is as comprehensive and well thought out as it's possible to be for what is essentially a very simple and fast effect. Once mastered CMH will become your most performed effect I promise you. Don't give up, it's well worth the effort.
Bill Smile
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
Johnny Ace Palmer has an explanation on one of his videos.
"There is no reality, only perception."