The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: What is the origin of the "Oddball" trick shown here? (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2202 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
What is the origin of the effect shown here, where two strings threaded through a ball in a plastic cube penetrate the container (and the spectator's fingers, depending on how it is performed)?

Penguin Magic sells it for just a couple of bucks here under the name "Oddball".

Is that its original name? Does anyone know anything about the history of this effect, or who its original creator was?

Here's a video demo showing how it looks in performance, where it is also referred to as "Houdini Ball Escape":

There's another video demo here and here.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3669 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Grandmother's Necklace.

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YUP...Mary told you! Grandma's Necklace is the principle, and, you'll find it in Scot's "Discovery of Witchcraft, printed over 500 years ago.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3669 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
You can trust Dick on that. He was there.

-Mary
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
It well worth looking into this principle.
I used on stage for a coat escape. were I had two metal rings and two metal mugs tied on as well . When the ropes were pulled and the ropes passed through my body and the rings I was holding and the metal cups crashed to the ground creating a audio and visual wonder.

so much opportunity go explore get creative!
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2017, Yellowcustard wrote:
I used on stage for a coat escape. were I had two metal rings and two metal mugs tied on as well . When the ropes were pulled and the ropes passed through my body and the rings I was holding and the metal cups crashed to the ground creating a audio and visual wonder.

This is how I learned the principle as well. The effect was called a coat escape and the principle was referred to as "The Cords of Phantasia." That was many, many years ago...
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
Remember John Calvert's "Lazy Man's" presentation of this trick?

Julie
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2202 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2017, Julie wrote:

Julie

I'm not familiar with that - can you share more about it Julie?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
As I recall, he sat on a chair near the front of the stage and directed his assistants on the placing of the silks (I think) on the ropes and the tying etc. culminating with the removing of the wand and the magical release. etc.

Perhaps someone else with a better memory can supply additional details on Calvert's presentation.

Julie
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A really great effect with this principle is Dean Dill's NANA'S NECKLACE.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
I remember the Royal Tube 'n Cord using the same methodology being a popular item in magic shops. This sold for the princely sum of 50 cents. It's components were a short length of ribbon, 2 cords and a metal tube with a single hole in the side to allow the ribbon to poke through.

The precursor to the item Pete mentions above was the venerable Hindu Beads. This sold for around 50 cents, too. It included 3 differently colored wooden beads (large, not the cheapies that pop-up in magic sets) and two quality nylon(?) cords plus a practical wire hook for easily threading the cords through the beads prior to performance.

Those were the days!

Julie
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2017, Pete Biro wrote:
A really great effect with this principle is Dean Dill's NANA'S NECKLACE.

Very nice indeed!

https://youtu.be/yJTIptGnQgo
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
891 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
YUP...Mary told you! Grandma's Necklace is the principle, and, you'll find it in Scot's "Discovery of Witchcraft, printed over 500 years ago.

Also, but not quite 500 years old, is "Grandmother's Necklace" described on page 320 of my Eleventh edition of Modern Magic by Prof. Hoffmann. He points out that it is a "very old one."
Jdansti
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Jdansti
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2017, docguitarman wrote:
Also, but not quite 500 years old, is "Grandmother's Necklace" described on page 320 of my Eleventh edition of Modern Magic by Prof. Hoffmann. He points out that it is a "very old one."

(I'm new here, so I hope the following is ok and keeping with the rules of the forum.)

I had a weird feeling I'd seen the Oddball/Houdini Ball Escape somewhere, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks for the reference to Hoffman. Many years ago I made a set based on Hoffman's description using three two-inch wooden balls purchased from one of the craft stores and then painted. The standard Hoffman version uses the three balls side by side with the loop going around all three balls. The three balls fall off when the cords are pulled. He provides an improved version where six balls are used-three of one color and three of another. The balls of one color are contained in the loop and the cords are passed through the other three with no loop. The spectator is asked to select a color, and his/her color magically falls off or stays on the cords when they are pulled.

I like the idea of the ball being placed in a container, though. It definitely adds to the effect. One could easily make a larger version with a two-inch ball or larger.
Regards,
John Danna
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I have one of these I have a story of it begin believed it was part of a spirt cabinet. If you are intrested in getting one contact Colin they do offer diffrent versions of it. https://www.fiveofheartsmagic.com/the-vi......ord.html
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Love the trick! The problem I am trying to solve is the setup. They examine all components. You thread the ball and put it in the little box. Proceed normally. I know there has to be a way without the distraction of a space shuttle launch for misdirection. I have a way I've been doing, but think there must be an even better way. This one really is a trick for more experienced magicians due to the difficulty in setup.

Doug
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
891 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2017, Dougini wrote:
Love the trick! The problem I am trying to solve is the setup. They examine all components. You thread the ball and put it in the little box. Proceed normally. I know there has to be a way without the distraction of a space shuttle launch for misdirection. I have a way I've been doing, but think there must be an even better way. This one really is a trick for more experienced magicians due to the difficulty in setup.

Doug

The Royal Tube 'n Cord version was fully examinable and required no set up, IIRC. Instead of the usual configuration of the cords, they were visibly tied around a ribbon then inserted in the tube with the ribbon protruding from the hole in the side. The cords are cross tied as in all versions. Pulling the ribbon out the tube escaped and fell.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2017, Julie wrote:

Julie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ6EHHwhmoA
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2017, dcjames wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2017, Yellowcustard wrote:

This is how I learned the principle as well. The effect was called a coat escape and the principle was referred to as "The Cords of Phantasia." That was many, many years ago...

d.c.....The "effect" has had a gezillion different "names" The most common is Grandma's Necklace. Many, if not most of the beginner type books have described the PRINCIPLE, with whatever the author called it.

HOWEVER! You should be aware that while GRANDMA'S NECKLACE OR THE COAT ESCAPE USE THE SAME BASIC PRINCIPLE AS THE LAZY MAGICIAN, the 'gaff' involved in Grandma's Necklace or Coat Escape, is entirely different from the gaff in THE LAZY MAGICIAN.

I don't remember who FIRST presented the Lazy Magician, but, I do know that Dante was doing it in the 30s, and possibly the 20s, and, I'm sure that John Calvert picked it up and used it. I didn't particularly care for the girls' handling of the silk knot tying, in Calvert's presentation.

To me, the best thing about the Lazy Magician presentation, is that THERE IS NO "SET UP"! (no thread tying)

For many seasons, I have carried in my prop case, several spare silks, and a length of rope duplicating the long rope used in the professor's nightmare. If I needed an extra 5 minutes!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Oddball was not originally a Fun Inc. item. I was sold to magic shops in the late 1970's. I believe an Indiana magic manufacturer made this item originally. Our local magic shop still has some stock left, in the original plastic sealed bag. No manufacturer on the instructions.