The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ickle Pickle Chop Cup Problems (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
tom2793
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of tom2793
Hi everybody!

I'm having real issues with my chop cup. I have the wide mouth Ickle pickle version and I'm encountering two problems:

Firstly the gimmick is way too strong and I have to really slam it down to dislodge the ball!

Secondly my gimmicked ball is making such a loud metallic noise when the gimmick is contacting with the bottom of the ball it sounds so obvious!

Any advice?

I'm new to the forum so also a massive hello to you all!

Tom
ebackes88
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of ebackes88
I was having the same problem. I just ordered some balls from rnt2.com that are supposedly adjustable. Haven't gotten them yet so I can't say how well they work
Doc Svengali
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Doc Svengali
I had the same problem with my Ickle Pickle Chalice Chop Cup. You just couldn't get the ball to dislodge without slamming the cup down.

A few suggestions:

It helps a great deal to dislodge the ball if you set the cup down with the forward edge of the cup (toward spectator) landing first, rather than setting the cup down flat parallel to the table surface.

I found that the chop cup balls sold by Brett Sherwood match well in magnet strength to the Ickle Pickle cup.

http://www.rnt2.com/ sells chopped balls that are adjustable in strength.
tom2793
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of tom2793
Thanks guys. I'm UK based so trying to find an english supplier of adjustable balls is difficult without spending a fortune on postage! I'll try the forward edge thing Doc!

Tom
Jorib
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Jorib
Hi,
I can't really tell how Brett Sherwood balls work in conjunction with Ickle Pickle Chop cup but the adjustable balls made by RNT2 really solved the same issue with a Combo Cups set by I.P. Just my 2 cents.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Could someone please explain to me how an adjustable magnet works? I know it is a real thing but I always thought whatever strength a magnet had was what it had.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2017, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Could someone please explain to me how an adjustable magnet works? I know it is a real thing but I always thought whatever strength a magnet had was what it had.

P-Daddy - Could 'adjustable' be in terms of how far you push the gimmick into the ball, or away from the center to increase attraction? Short of an electro-magnet or shielding it, I don't see how you can easily vary the strength.

For the OP Tom - try giving Dave at Propdog a call, he's super helpful and what he does not have, he may be able to make at a very reasonable cost.
http://www.propdog.co.uk/
Charlie
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
The RNT2 adjustable chop balls are very easy to 'tune' so that you get the perfect amount of resistance needed for your particular routine. Although I do not think it's appropriate to tip exactly how they work on an open forum, I certainly give them my highest recommendation.

Poof Daddy, I sent you a PM.

Best,

Doug
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
tom2793
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of tom2793
Thank you Puggo!

You guys are all incredibly helpful!

Tom
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
I'm having the same problem and I have to slam the cup down. Even when I adjust the gimmick (ball from Ickle Pickle Wide Cup) it still appears pretty strong. I can't push the gimmick much because it starts coming out the other side.
I don't have any experience with chop cups and so I was wondering if this is normal.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1819 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I had this same problem years ago and returned mine for a different brand cup. I was fortunate to get one of the last Morrissey's to be found at that time. If I ever have to buy another it would be from RnT 2.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!

www.fcm.org/profile/4Hisglory68
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
My experience, all balls are adjustable with a round toothpick. Never ran into one that could not be adjusted in a few seconds.

In some cases the performer is shaking the cup just to hard, it is not necessary to shake it very hard, they don't actually have to hear the ball slamming around in the cup.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've used foam practice golf balls, shimmed with a paper clip through a small slit, with the Ickle Pickle Widemouth. Small ammo balls for a Nerf gun should work as well, when appropriately shimmed.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5451 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I've done something similar to Al. I've simply taken a couple of non gaffed, knit covered balls and pushed a short steel nail into it. It attracts to a strong magnet but comes away easily. I believe that Tim Star makes a ball that is magnetic but does not have a magnet installed.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2017, tom2793 wrote:
Hi everybody!

I'm having real issues with my chop cup. I have the wide mouth Ickle pickle version and I'm encountering two problems:

Firstly the gimmick is way too strong and I have to really slam it down to dislodge the ball!

Secondly my gimmicked ball is making such a loud metallic noise when the gimmick is contacting with the bottom of the ball it sounds so obvious!

Any advice?

I'm new to the forum so also a massive hello to you all!

Tom

I had this problem and a solution is to use a toothpick and push out the m*****s from the gimmicked b***. I found there were 2 in the b***. I put one back and problem solved.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is the time tested solution, for a magnet that get to close to the crocheted covering.

As a number of members have mentioned, simply use a toothpick to move the the magnet a little ways inward. Sometimes the cork is getting old an dried out, and it shrinks. or you slamming the ball around, moves the magnet and makes the channel bigger. So, after you find the correct position, so the magnet is not to strong work properly, simply take some cotton or knitting material and push it inside the small opening. Do not jam it in, you just want the magnet not to slide all the way to the opening of the ball surface. If you still have a problem, then stuff more material in the opposite end, so the magnet will not slide from side to side.

IF you still have problems. Just order new balls from Eckle Pickel.

My original Chop Chop, made by Chop Chop himself is still going strong, 50 years later. I have had to buy new balls twice over the years.