The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Alternative to a ring (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
itsupyoursleeve
View Profile
New user
Ingleton, UK
64 Posts

Profile of itsupyoursleeve
I'm sure this must have been asked before but this site is so vast I don't seem to be getting any results when searching.
Anyway...what alternatives do you use for ring flight apart from a ring or key? I've recently started using RF Revolution and love it but would like to try it with something other than a ring but my mind is drawing a blank.
Any ideas or links to a previous thread on this would be grateful.

Thanks
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
So you bought a Finger Ring to Key Case Fob, and now you want it to do something else. I don't believe it is multipurpose. You may be stuck with only a finger ring trick. This is not a utility prop, it was made and designed with only one purpose in mind.

What comes to mind is Cheerio Cereal to key fob. Smile
itsupyoursleeve
View Profile
New user
Ingleton, UK
64 Posts

I disagree Bill. Providing something can be attached to the pull I don't see why it has to be a ring, I just thought I'd throw it out there for other ideas. I'm not sure if your Cheerio idea was tongue in cheek but I think that could have some potential lol Smile
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
I think that a Cheerio would be hard to mark so you could prove it is the same one that disappeared. Maybe using the spectators car or house key would be fun.

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I agree with Bill to the point that even though you could use something besides a ring, I don't think it would have the same impact. Anything that you can clip on to the pull could be used but I think that the "ring-flight" concept works best with the emotional attachment to the finger ring more so than just a teleportation effect with "X" appearing in your key case. I also believe there is nothing wrong with trying other items utilizing the gaff, I just don't think anything will have the same impact as the original intention.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
itsupyoursleeve
View Profile
New user
Ingleton, UK
64 Posts

Some interesting comments however are we 'magician thinking' again? I'd question what is normal about a finger ring being on a key ring, surely the only thing that would be normal would be a key? In my opinion not every effect we perform needs an emotional impact as long as the presentation is strong. However I absolutely agree that if that is what you are wanting then stick with something borrowed and personal such as a ring. When I perform the effect with a ring and it vanishes I usually refer to the insurance policy that I carry that I keep in my car. This then gives me a reason to bring the keys out.

My initial thinking when the Cheerio idea was mentioned and please bear in mind this is as far as I've got with the idea, was using Fruit Loops instead. Have a colour chosen, place in the 'hand', add all the other colours to the hand one at a time and shake them about and wager that you can reach in and pull out the selected colour. Upon failure reveal that the chosen colour has gone and then continue with the 'wager' insurance policy patter.

Another idea ive since thought of was using dog tags and have one signed. Put the pen away palming a key in the process and as you drop the other tags in the hand add the key. Continue as above but instead of taking out the wrong one remove the key looking somewhat suprised. Claim that its your house key and then bring the keys out revealing the signed tag on the ring.

One of the reasons I initially posted was to get some ideas that I could possibly use for children also and I think both these ideas may just work.

Looking forward to hearing anyones thoughts.
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
I really like the dog tags, and taking the pen out of a different pocket.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2017, itsupyoursleeve wrote:
Some interesting comments however are we 'magician thinking' again? I'd question what is normal about a finger ring being on a key ring, surely the only thing that would be normal would be a key? In my opinion not every effect we perform needs an emotional impact as long as the presentation is strong. However I absolutely agree that if that is what you are wanting then stick with something borrowed and personal such as a ring. When I perform the effect with a ring and it vanishes I usually refer to the insurance policy that I carry that I keep in my car. This then gives me a reason to bring the keys out.

My initial thinking when the Cheerio idea was mentioned and please bear in mind this is as far as I've got with the idea, was using Fruit Loops instead. Have a colour chosen, place in the 'hand', add all the other colours to the hand one at a time and shake them about and wager that you can reach in and pull out the selected colour. Upon failure reveal that the chosen colour has gone and then continue with the 'wager' insurance policy patter.

Another idea ive since thought of was using dog tags and have one signed. Put the pen away palming a key in the process and as you drop the other tags in the hand add the key. Continue as above but instead of taking out the wrong one remove the key looking somewhat suprised. Claim that its your house key and then bring the keys out revealing the signed tag on the ring.

One of the reasons I initially posted was to get some ideas that I could possibly use for children also and I think both these ideas may just work.

Looking forward to hearing anyones thoughts.

Unfortunately, "magician think" often causes magicians to get stuck in "technical details". I think that the "entertainment potential" is what is most important. If you can come up with a routine that involves Fruite Loops that is highly entertaining, I don't think it matters whether it is more or less magical than some other method. Also, what works for one magician doesn't work for another. I personally don't like to make my participant feel anxiety over their ring, so I applaud your trying to come up with something different. Good for you, and I hope you come up with something very entertaining.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
My suggestion: Stick with the Fruit LAoops idea and think about different things you could do that maybe involves you eating some of them, perhaps offering them to your participant to eat, maybe producing the fruit loop from your mouth, offering it to your participant as a souvenir, etc.

I am a big fan of breaking up strong magic with gag magic and other things that are "magical" in their own right. For example, currently, I am working on something similar to Joshua Jay's "Balance" that is magical in an "acrobatic" sort of way. I personally think that things like acrobatics and juggling and gags have a place in their own magical way.

KJ
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
386 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2017, itsupyoursleeve wrote:

Some very nice ideas there.

I also agree with your thoughts on effects with some sort of emotional impact. In a performance it would be too heavy handed to have every piece like this, and pieces which are simply baffling, entertaining and fun certainly do have their place.

I disagree with Bill on the use of the reel. While it was designed for a specific routine, I see no reason why it can't be used for something else. In fact, I think that ANY gimmick we use should be explored beyond its common use.

Jim