The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Learning Material for IT (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
I was wondering if anyone can suggest some good books or dvds on learning about Invisible Thread.

Just got mine I the mail yesterday and I'm super excited! It seems to be a little delicate to work with, but I'm guessing time and practice will help. I was using it during the day and lighting/background seems to make a huge difference! The sun would come out and the string would be visible, it would get shady and the string became harder to see. On my black bed sheets the string is completely invisible, but on my silver laptop the string is completely VISIBLE! So environment will have to be played around with quite a bit to.

Apart from; Yigal Mesika And Finn Jon Loops, Steve Fearson Ultimate Levitation System, John LeClaire Whos Afraid of Invisible Thread. Any other material you guys can recommend?
"A play does not take place on stage but in the minds of the spectators."
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
Some things I seem to be struggling with are; with the Fearson Hookup, if I run it over my head it gets stuck in my hair and stretches, rather than running over my hair. And when tieing it to an object (I'm just practicing with a straw) the first knot goes on well, but the second knot gets stuck within the thread, before it completely closes on the first knot (so its make a little loop in between the two knots, instead of closing off the first knot completely).
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1883 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
There's a separate section for discussion of thread, but you have to be at 50 posts to see it.
It's also possible to get white thread, which will have the opposite visibility from what you experience with your black stuff. Smile

Past that, I'm not much of a thread worker, so I'll leave other specifics to those who know more.
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
Ah Alight, II'll just have to wait a little bit until I can access that. I'll keep researching mean while. I got Yigal's elastics. I think I need to get more used to using them.
Joe Brewer
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Joe Brewer
I saw Bruno Copin lecture a few years ago at my local magic club and would recommend looking at his material. It looks like he has a penguin live lecture
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
For IET, look up Subdividedstudios for Trinity System, Legacy Emergency Kit (LEK), Ring Slide, and No Tac.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
I really like how Bruno Copin shows/explains himself. I also just found out some of the effects I've seen other magicians do were invented by Bruno, and it is really interesting to see him explain how he comes up with such ideas.
I was looking at the Trinity System but it seems to be sold out right now. I will try to find out more about it. Subdivded seems to have a lot on IT.
I tied up a bunch of loops and put them around a white cylinder, some to objects, some just double sided wax, and been playing around with it. I have to say it is getting more tolerable to handle, meaning I am not snapping it so much now and really getting a hand of how much tension it can take. (=
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Did you get any DVD on just knowledge about working with IT. You mentioned you can see the IT, guess what, you are supposed to see it part of the time. Many times when you see it, the spectators cannot. You have to think in relationship of fooling the spectators, and not yourself.

As I have mentioned a number of times, you gave up fooling yourself when you decided to perform magic effects. It is a real delight for me, when I can perform a trick, and for an instant, I fool myself.

Check out Losander's material as well, he gets into how to make IT invisible.

About Steve Fearson Floating Cigarette, wash your hair, put a very light holding agent on, and you should not have any trouble, of course, thia also has a lot to do with your hair style.

Think about why can't you see a spider web until you open the shades and let in sunlight. Why do you only see half a moon an not the full moon when you know it is there.

Just a you mentioned, you are only seeing your side of the IT on a sunny day. When you go into the shade, are you sure your spectators cannot see the IT from their side, are you positive.

As far as knotting IT, it is the same a sewing thread, so ask your mom, wife, sister, grandmother, how they tie sewing thread and make a double knot. Most ladies have this knowledge.

Think about it, and keep at it. Good Luck.
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
As I have mentioned a number of times, you gave up fooling yourself when you decided to perform magic effects. It is a real delight for me, when I can perform a trick, and for an instant, I fool myself.

Thanks Bill!

Wow.. I actually never really thought about it like that. I'm still not quite that experienced where I can not be fooled easily, but with time maybe I will get there. While this may be a trade off, since really focusing on learning I have found a new outlook/respect for those who practice the art. I can really appreciate what they are truly doing now, rather than just thinking about how it was done.

I don't specifically have content on the knowledge/ theory aspect of IT. I just watched some videos introducing/ how to use it, and some effects performed with it. That is actually what I was trying to find more of, the technical/ theoretical content on IT. I do have more questions, but am wondering if they may have already been asked/answered in the other 50+ post forum.... I was thinking to hold onto those, I might just find the answers to them there as well.

There seems to be so much that can be done with this, I think I need to pick one or two specific effects with the IT and really start focusing on them.
SoyMilky
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of SoyMilky
The thing with Invisible Thread usage is that when you can *allow* yourself to forget for one second, just one second that there is a thread.
That moment of utter delight you feel when you see something just levitating will remind WHY you got into thread work in the first place.

Keep at it, don't give up.