The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: IT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
karnage
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
40 Posts

Profile of karnage
Ok, I know this does not really belong here, plus I did a search on past posts... But looks like I don't have access yet -.-
Anyways, I am quite interested in using the IT for levitating objects... But I'm not sure if it'll be a letdown like some tricks... I've heard that setup for all IT tricks are troublesome to say the least, but as long as it's not too obvious that I'm hooking up the stuff, I'm kinda fine with it. So, would you recommend me to start playing around in this branch of magic, if so, is there any good material for a n00b who's interested in this?
Also, can IT be replaced with something else, say fishing line or whatever?

Thanks,
cheers
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Hello Karnage,
Guess your post really belongs in the Rings,Strings & Things, but since IT is a very versatile prop, it will work as for street magic as well (under the right circumstances). not with a fishingline though:)

I was also sceptic about IT in the beginning, but I was also very curious about what it could do.
Now, after Finn Jon lectures and a lot of practice using different hook-ups and applications, I can look back on what worked best for me.

I will strongly suggest you to start off with:
Jon LeClair's "who's afraid of invisible thread" DVD,
you get your starters kit with this DVD, and you get to learn one of the most versatile hook-ups on the marked: the LeClair Animator.
It also contains many great routines, you'll just love to perform.

Be sure to check Steve Fearsons' floating Cig. notes also, a really great hook-up with many uses.

If this triggers your imagination, I suggest you to go to the next level and continue up with:
Michael Ammar's 3 thread miracles DVD's- the most indepth study of all IT work out to date.

Good luck!

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Look into getting some loops. These can give you a nice taste for IT to sse if it's your thing. Also, my first venture into the world of IT was with Houdini Magic's UFO card. Includes everything you need as well as in depth descriptions on how to manage it.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
P-body
View Profile
New user
Madison, WI
8 Posts

Profile of P-body
Don't just limit yourself to the IT props available at the magic shops. I've been playing with GSP which is finer and lighter but yet stronger than most IT available.
Jhonsky
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
112 Posts

Profile of Jhonsky
How about The hummingbird card http://www.penguinmagic.com It uses IT and the setup is not too hard. The moves though are hard to do. It requires a lot practise.
As far as a nylon string goes, it depends on what kinda trick to perform some tricks can be performed with nylon, such as coin and key across. Nylon is actually good because it's strong and elastic. But I haven't seen nylon string that's thin enough to be invisible.
jaxonlee
View Profile
New user
Butte, MT
71 Posts

Profile of jaxonlee
Karnage,

IT can be alot of fun to play with. At first it can also seem like a pain in the neck! But once you get used to it, you'll find it relatively painless to use and very effective. Patience and practice are the keys.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Fishing line is a no-no!

I make my own IT, but it's worth buying a proper set to get the hang of it. Also, professional sets come with good putty for anchoring the thread and setting up. Try LeClair's Animator - that has the required thread and putty and some good starting instructions. IT is one of the best props for innovative people, because you can come up with so many of your own routines with it.

I have to disagree with Jhonsky - the Hummer Card is NOT difficult.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
C.J.

The Hummer Card and Hummingbird might be two different tricks. The Hummingbird is a version that is shown on Penguin and does appear to differ in that the card spins 180' with just a move of the head. It's relatively cheap, less than $10.00.
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
I think the Hummer Card has a more "magical touch" to it. The Hummingbird just has too much acrobatics for my taste.
Check Ammar's Thread videos, for the serious student.
Jack.
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
GavinK
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
60 Posts

Profile of GavinK
They are the exact same effect and method.
Magique
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
6 Posts

Profile of Magique
The Humming card and the Hummingbird under the same effect and method?
One uses a reel, no?
It's quite cool the way the card can actually fly around the body. Although it's obviously using an IT, it's still quite impressive the way it spins around the body...
Very very catchy!
~penetrans ad interiora mortis~
italianmagi90023
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of italianmagi90023
Ammar's vids are the best on thread work..I completely agree...pick these up!!

Mike