The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Aberdeen Thread by James Dickson - Gypsy Thread reinvented? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
renricker7
View Profile
Regular user
Halle, Germany
150 Posts

Profile of renricker7
I haven´t seen a review, but was higly interessted in the way the effect is achieved, as I perform the Gypsy Thread myself a lot.

I made the effort and wrote some impressions, to give you a rough idea about the effect, if you think about to purchase the effect!

The idea is nice - that´s about it ... maybe!

I highly doubt you will be able to hand out the thread before the effect in the original version, as well as the 1st variation, as said in the description, without a high risk that the spectator actually finds something and sees something he shouldn´t ... Will he be able to connect the dots is another question.

You won´t end clean, without the use of woofle dust or what ever you prefer Smile. James shows a nice way to make it seem your hands are clean, one after the other, but still: You won´t end up clean.

I highly doubt that you will be able to perform that effect surrounded, as things happening during the performance and to get into the effect, that, with a high possibility, will be seen from more than 180 degrees. It is posible to handle this, though ... just keep them in front of you.

You will be able to see that even James had at least 1 problem during the performance part in the explaination video, to actually hide the secret himself and I could see something during his performance that I shouldn´t, as a spectator. he had to fumble and the secret was visible, which means it might happen in front of spectators as well and could cause question in moments you won´t want them.

There is only one version (variation 2), which seems organic to me. You have the thread on the spool, a spectator cuts a piece off, hands it to you. ... and you go into the routine.

... but that's maybe all we actually need - one that fits our needs.

I wouldn´t use it walk around, though would think about using it on TV, stage or formal Close-Up Show.

There are versions of the Gypsy Thread, which can be performed over and over again with the same spool, are able to be performed surrounded, end clean and doesn´t have any fumbling to go into the effect. Yes, you can´t show it as clean as in James version in the beginning, but it works perfectly during walk around. Nobody suspects a crumbled up piece of thread on the thread anyway, except of magicians. Smile

I stay with mine, at least during walk around ...

Rene
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:

I highly doubt you will be able to hand out the thread before the effect

Who on earth would even think of doing that?????
renricker7
View Profile
Regular user
Halle, Germany
150 Posts

Profile of renricker7
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2016, cheesewrestler wrote:
Quote:

I highly doubt you will be able to hand out the thread before the effect

Who on earth would even think of doing that?????

In which context is this question asked? In context to the effect or in context of the classic method?

The product itself advertises with the fact, that you are able to give it to the spectators for inspection before and after the effect.

rene

PS: here is the link to the video btw. ... unfortunatly not available on youtube, vimeo or the like.

https://store.theory11.com/products/aberdeen-thread
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I actually do not see anything any different then the classic effect. If he is selling a different secret working, I do not see it, of course. Anyone that knows an uses the classic method, would not be encouraged to purchase this from the video, and text.

I guess there needs to be more information on what exactly was reinvented in this version, besides not wetting the ball of thread with saliva from the mouth.

It says, it can be handed out before and after, and yet the video does not show this, very poor sales video. Does not encourage anyone to purchase, with claims and then not shown.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3101 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I assume this used that multi strand twine type thread where the restored package is formed more or less in real time. I am speculating of course, do not own it and does not look that appealing. For close up a love Chèvre's Gypsy Floss.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I did not see where this used the twisted stand Yo-Yo type string design. It looked very much like the original method.
renricker7
View Profile
Regular user
Halle, Germany
150 Posts

Profile of renricker7
@bill

could you please guide me to the original routine you refer to, as you seem to know more than me. in my eyes it is not possible to show the thread from one end to the other, with the version I call original, but I am not as long in the business, as you are ... maybe the version I call original isn't the original version.

could you shed some light, please

rene
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
The thread in the video is shown in its entirety, before the trick is done. That is something you cant do with the original Gypsy Thread.
I would love to read a good review of this that highlights some of the differences between it and the original.
renricker7
View Profile
Regular user
Halle, Germany
150 Posts

Profile of renricker7
@chad

i would be glad to help you to better understand the differences, but I don't know how, as I think I already did. ...and I tried to show the difference between the ad and reality.

some bullet points:

- doesn't work surrounded
- you can show the thread in it's complete length
- you won't end up clean and there is no good moment, that helps you to get rid of the dirty stuff at the right time. the original offers you that moment, with good routining
- you have to carry a single piece of thread around in your pocket, as a wristband or somehow
-i think it is a less safe handling, higher risks of messing up

that's the core of what I wrote above.

let me know, if you would like to know more. I can't think of a better way to explain how the effect is different at the moment.

maybe direct questions would help to form a better picture!

rene
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
From a presentation point if view, this does not really add anything to the classic effect. It is a torn and restored thread trick. If you think the showing of a small piece of thread makes the trick a miracle for you, then buy it and work on it.

In the original, you pick up and show a spool of thread, pull out 30 inches, and break off the thread. Then show and hold the thread between 2 fingers, and then the other hand breaks off pieces, about 6 inches in length. The pieces are rolled into a ball, and moistened with saliva, then attached to the single strand of thread held. Saliva being the glue that keeps the ball of thread attached. Then the ends are held between fingers of each hand, pulled apart to approximately 30 inches for the finale display. The thread can be handed out at this point or discarded, whichever you prefer.

Many performers do not like to use the saliva part, so do not use that, but just attached the thread to the single piece and hope the ball attaches itself and does not fall off.

I still see nothing different from a performance view. What goes on behind the scene, does not add anything for the audience viewing the effect. It is simply a different method, that adds nothing to the trick for the general public.

If the disadvantages listed above are true, then this was simply created as a magician fooler, for magicians that need to be fooled, and are in search of the "holy grail" for the magic they seek. As stated above, it is inconvenient to carry around, and not easily repeated.

The original only needs a prepared spool of thread within reach, nothing else. The original can be performed close-up or on stage. It has no angle problems, and can be performed surrounded if you like. In certain a version it can be repeated right away.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2001 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
For me, Gypsy Floss is the best way to do the effect. Self contained package, organic, built in thread cutter, waxed thread so no saliva and a bright white color for easy viewing. I would carry four setups in my back pocket while strolling, which is easy because of the size and shape of the containers.

For anyone who does gypsy floss, a tip I use is to let a small piece of thread poke outside of lid after the trick is set. I just stick the small string against against the right side of the floss container. This lets me know that the trick is set up and ready to go, since you won't really know that until you open the lid. It's a little piece of mind that prevents embarrassment.

Many thanks to Tom Jones for teaching me this trick at his lecture many moons ago.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1878 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On May 6, 2016, Kaliix wrote:
For anyone who does gypsy floss, a tip I use is to let a small piece of thread poke outside of lid after the trick is set. I just stick the small string against against the right side of the floss container. This lets me know that the trick is set up and ready to go, since you won't really know that until you open the lid. It's a little piece of mind that prevents embarrassment.

That's a fantastic idea! I'm totally going to steal it from you. Smile
Stephen Wilbury
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Stephen Wilbury
I saw this in my inbox and very nearly got it...till I watched the video, I can't see any difference and there's no way you end clean the finger positions look pretty awkward to me....
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's a thread you might be interested in, although it could use some updating.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's a thread you might be interested in, although it could use some updating.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
roningramii
View Profile
New user
Van Buren, Arkansas
18 Posts

Profile of roningramii
I really enjoy watching and performing the gypsy thread routine. Since I am more of a rope man than a thread man though, I have recently adapted it to use full sized rope. Other than the size it is exactly the performance of the thread routine. Went over very well.
Ron Ingramii
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Ron,

Are you saying you can do the Gypsy thread routine using full size rope? Is that unique to the Aberdeen method?

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
The only way I know how to do a Gypsy thread routine using full size rope would be with a gimmicked newspaper. I have performed a routine where a red rope, a white rope, and a blue rope go into a newspaper twisted like a funnel and a single red, white, and blue rope comes out the funnel.

KJ
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 13, 2016, roningramii wrote:
Other than the size it is exactly the performance of the thread routine.

Really, you hold a length of rope between only your thumb and index finger. You must have massive fingers. And you snap the rope with only your hands. What great strength you have. Do they call you Hercules.

If you are not using thread, and similar handling to the Classic effect, then you are doing a rope effect, not the Gypsy Thread.

Dr. Harland Tarbell already invented the Many Cut Rope Trick, back in the 1940's.

Rope is rope tricks, thread is thread tricks, and string are sting tricks. Let's not confuse those that have not studied the magic craft.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
His fingers looked all twisted like he was hiding something .....
too much over proving....
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com