The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: How to practice a trick that requires a spectator's hand? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
627 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Say I was practicing a trick that needs a third hand. How would I practice said trick?

For example, there is a nice ring on rubber band trick that I would love to learn, but without a second person/third hand to help me practice, I feel stuck. I already considered one of those dummy hands, but that's a no-go.

Does anyone have any tricks of the trade? Am I missing something obvious?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3669 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
No, it is hard.

A magic buddy can be the spectator for you and you can reciprocate.

You can trade a job with a lay person for help, I.E. I'll do the dishes if you'll be the spectator for a while.

There are times when you can use your ankle for a wrist or two dowels for thumbs but eventually you will need a real person.

Years ago I suggested a Magic Club meeting theme where we would form several groups and the performers would go from group to group and get to try the same bit on @ 4 different groups.

I don't recall if we did it though.

-Mary Mowder
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I've used my own redneck method to create a third hand.

For example, I've put vice grips in a file cabnet or a door jam and closed the door on them, then leaned something heavy against the foot to kept it shut.

(This works very well when you accidentally lock yourself in a pair of handcuffs, behind your back, and the keyhole is out of reach........... Don't ask).
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
627 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Both posts very helpful for very different reasons hahahaha

Actually, that trading a job idea is a great idea! I think things might be a little easier if I knew any other magicians in person. All my magic friends live either out of state or hours away. Hours away used to be no big deal, but I have been disabled as of the last three years and that has kept me from doing any real out of town driving trips.

Jay, I actually tried something similar to your "redneck method" haha. It just didn't work for the routine I was trying to practice.

I am thinking maybe if I can find a childs size work glove I might be able to overstuff it like a scarecrow hand or something you'd do on Halloween. Not sure if it'd be sturdy enough but I'm keeping an eye out for a stiff enough "material'd" glove.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Fill it with minimally expanding insulating foam Smile maybe put some bent spoons inside first.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
627 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Good idea. I do have a ton of bent/broken spoon handles hahahaha I knew I'd find a way to get some use out of them
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3669 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I did not mention that the purpose of the Magic meeting was to practice (over and over) things that needed a spectator and or a hand.

-Mary Mowder
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10003 Posts

Profile of funsway
I used to just go to a park and perform for anyone willing to participate.

It is amazing what the words, "I could use your help? can do.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Maybe not what your need is..

To practice penetrating a rubber band on/through another rb(the opposite direction of a CMH), I put some nails into the upright sections of a book shelf, and stretched a rb across those(representing what the spectator would be doing). I could then use both of my hands (one for the move, and one for the misdirection)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Nails, so simple.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
627 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
That is not the effect I am talking about. But I sure like the idea for practicing that one!

And funsway, if this was 3 years ago, I'd probably do the very same thing, but these days I can't really walk on my own, so I don't get out like that very often.

Though now that I am getting some routines put together, I'll have to figure some things out.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
What do you need the spectator's hand to do?
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10003 Posts

Profile of funsway
Ok, Race. There is in every larger city there is a TBI or other convalescent hospital where you will be welcome with limited mobility
and patients appreciative of entertainment and attention.

Some Assisted Living Centers will allow you to move between dinner tables and entertain and many ar ein wheel chairs or walkers.

I have found that a walker makes a wonderful performing table with a tray attached.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
627 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Funsway, that is GREAT idea! Thank you!