The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: String for Ring and string. (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
chrisant_lou
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of chrisant_lou
I am looking for thinness rope for Ring and String.
Do you guys know the best rope for Ring and String routine?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Long Shoe Lace.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10003 Posts

Profile of funsway
There is quite thin leather thong that I had good luck with
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Obviously, a very FLEXIBLE cord is best. Like Bill, I use a long shoelace. I picked up a pair in New Orleans with Mardi Gras colors! (about 48"==you can cut to fit your needs.) Shoe laces are nice for any of the Clifton, Nelson,or Grismer moves.

I sometimes carry two laces, a chopstick, and some Chinese coins (with holes) for Alan Wakeling's "grandma's necklace" routine, in his book. I can get four kids INVOLVED, each holding one end.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
You might also consider velvet cord from the notions department of a fabric shop.

It generally has a string core you can pull out to get more flexibility. One nice aspect is the material itself allows very fair shows of the ring on the rope when it isn't really because the fuzziness of the material disguises a particular discrepancy (message me if you want a clearer explanation).

In his DVD "Ring Leader", Gregory Wilson uses Velvet cord for most of the work because it fits with his routine's premise that some jewely stores have their rings on such cords as a security measure, so a buyer can look at them, but they are still somewhat anchored down.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2016, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:
You might also consider velvet cord from the notions department of a fabric shop.

In his DVD "Ring Leader", Gregory Wilson uses Velvet cord for most of the work because it fits with his routine's premise that some jewely stores have their rings on such cords as a security measure, so a buyer can look at them, but they are still somewhat anchored down.

I have the original VHS and the black velvet cord and gold practice ring that was supplied back then. I can fully attest to the greatness of that cord over a ribbon (which I have heard is now included with the DVD).

Quote:
On Jan 16, 2016, chrisant_lou wrote:
I am looking for thinness rope for Ring and String.
Do you guys know the best rope for Ring and String routine?

Once you have a proper string. Check out some great routines. "Ring Leader" by far will give you the best all around routine and so many bonus handlings you might get overwhelmed in a good way (for making your own).
I would also recommend "Symphony for Ring and String" by Scott Guinn stands out well and also check out "Collateral" by Diamond Jim Tyler - solid routine, powerful ending.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
As Dave Gripenwaldt mentioned in his post above, velvet cord like the kind Gregory Wilson uses in "Ring Leader," is excellent. It's available from Larry Barnowsky:

http://www.barnowskymagic.com/pricelistkotr3.html
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

The Barnowsky price is high to me, but then I've always gotten mine at a local fabric shop...though a quick google search shows me I can get it for 95 cents a yard online.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
I think you might look at the braided silk (or nylon) cord that they sell in hobby stores for beading projects. Its relatively inexpensive and comes in various sizes and colors. I bought some at our local AC Moore store.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4758 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I've been to Jo Anns and Michaels and can't seem to find the velvet cord any longer. Anyone know of an online source? Larry's looks thicker than the kind that came with Ring Leader and $10 is steep.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3669 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Consider a satin ribbon.

There are some advantages and they can add color to your Close-Up.

-Mary Mowder
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2016, emyers99 wrote:
I've been to Jo Anns and Michaels and can't seem to find the velvet cord any longer. Anyone know of an online source? Larry's looks thicker than the kind that came with Ring Leader and $10 is steep.

I have the velvet cord from Larry and it's the same size as the one that originally came with Ringleader. For me, $10 isn't too much for exactly what I want.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Thanks Doug,
Glad you like the velvet cord.
My price for the velvet cord has always been $7.50 for 48 inch lengths. Organza pouch included with each rope. Shipping has been kept at $2 for USA for a total of $9.50. Customs lengths available. Red and white colors always in stock. Don't expect to find this quality velvet cord these in craft stores. I couldn't. So I researched it years ago and special ordered spools of them from the mill that makes them for a NYC clothing designer I know. My velvet cord allows the ring to glide over it with the least amount of noise and friction.

http://www.barnowskymagic.com/pricelistkotr3.html

Larry
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

BTW, Larry's post reminded me of something to watch for if you don't go with his cord.

Due to the way the cord is made, sometimes a given length of it might contain a seam. I'm not talking about the seam that runs the entire length - but one across the width of the cord, as though two lengths of cord were sewn together. That's exactly what happened. The bolts of cloth used are only so large, so when an end is reached it's stitched to the next piece. That doesn't matter when you decorate some sewing project with the velvet cord because you can't see the seam, but you can feel it, which can hang moves up or come apart.

So if you order a length online, don't get a length close to what you need, get several yards so you can make sure you have get a length without a seam.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Dave,

You're right about the seam. I cut each 4 foot length by hand and always look and feel for a seam as I pull the cord through by hand. My 4 foot lengths do not contain a seam. I've sold custom lengths up to 25 feet long without a seam for one customer.
By the way my favorite routine, "Wedding Ring Redux", is in my book Kingdom of the Red. It is also taught and performed on the companion DVD. I always use my velvet cord when performing it.

Kingdom of the Red

Larry
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1717 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Larry,

Do you sell the one routine on DVD by itself?

Thanks,
Dan.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Hi Dan,

No, the routine and video are not sold separately. I would add that in addition to Wedding Ring Redux which uses a finger ring, Kingdom of the Red and the companion DVD also feature The Comedy Rope and Ring Routine which uses a rope and 3 inch harness type ring.

Larry
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1485 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2016, Mary Mowder wrote:
Consider a satin ribbon.

There are some advantages and they can add color to your Close-Up.

-Mary Mowder

I agree. I had a lot of great reaction performing Jay Scott Berry's Symphony on the Ring and Ribbon, with a sligthly different ending where the ring vanishes from the string and end on a wand held ind the ends by two spectators. I use a small normal size finger ring, and borrows a spectators ring midway in the routine. Watch the beauty of the routine by Jay Scott berry, which can also be performed close up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR1Z7yxEuOM

Br

Jan
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
You can use shoelaces but make sure you get all cotton laces - with NO elastic! Or paracord, which was originally a military item but now can be purchased in most fabric shops.

But the best I've found is either velvet cording, available at some fabric stores though I haven't had luck recently finding any there. Also, a close second for me is rattail cord, like you can see here:
http://www.mjtrim.com/1mm-rattail-cord This is the cord provided by Lance Pierce with his "Recharmed, I'm Sure" routine.

Jim
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce