The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring Leader: Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
clementho9
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of clementho9
Hello!

A friend gave me a copy of Gregory Wilson's Ring Leader and I must say it's DARN GOOD!

Lots of moves, funny teaching, my only complaint are that there should be more performances (Greg's a brilliant performer) and some of the moves need a bit more detail (like the discrepant insertion) but it's mainly the camera's fault (IMHO).

My main question is:

What moves do you guys use for your ring and string routine? A bit of information on the patter is optional but would be great too.

Thanks!
clementho9
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of clementho9
By the way, what do you think of Greg's own Ring leader routine?

I find the discrepant insertion really difficult to comprehend.
Jamie-boy
View Profile
Regular user
Berea, Ohio
186 Posts

Profile of Jamie-boy
Welcome Clement.

Dan Fleshman's routine "Concerto for Ring and String" is a good one, and the one with which I am most familiar. Lately, I have the Ring/String bug again, and have started to fiddle around with Jay Sankey's "Devil's Tail."

Gregory Wilson's "Ring Leader" was the first VHS tape I purchased on the subject. If Discrepant Insertion doesn't come right away, there are plenty of other moves on that project to substitute in.

Have fun.

Jim
James Sievert
Sleight of Hand Hobbyist since 1990.
Bassist since 1973.
Jamie-boy
View Profile
Regular user
Berea, Ohio
186 Posts

Profile of Jamie-boy
Correction: Sonata for Ring and String.

Jim
James Sievert
Sleight of Hand Hobbyist since 1990.
Bassist since 1973.
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
Have been doing Dan Garrett's routine for years with a side order of Clifton. I especially like the ring back on the string to bring it full circle.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Collateral by Diamond Jim Tyler is a great kicker ending for a ring and string. He teaches a basic yet very effective modular routine. Mix some of the stuff on his DVD along with his "gimick" that comes with it to any number of the Gregory Wilson bits and you could put a real killer together.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
terryisaacs
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of terryisaacs
I've been trying to learn the Ring Leader routine myself. It's the only dvd I have on this branch of magic so I'm currently just working on the main Ring Leader routine. I've been very happy with this dvd though, I love it and can't wait to try out the material and make it my own.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Bob Miller's "Relentless Ring and String" is pretty good. And Mark Leveridge's "Master Routines" includes a ring-and-string routine that he used to win the British Ring IBM Close-Up Competition.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
clementho9
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of clementho9
Jay Scott Berry's work seems very good too.