The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring Watch & Wallet (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I was reviewing Tommy Wonder's Visions of Wonder tapes recently and was reminded of how stunningly deceptive his Ring Watch & Wallet is. I personally would love to start doing the routine so I've got a couple of questions.

1. Are there any Ring Watch and Wallet routines comparable in impact without requiring such elaborate "Inner workings" those who have seen this will know what I'm talking about... If not then that brings me to my second question...

2. If that is the only way to get so much mileage out of that sort of effect, where can I get "Inner workings" of high standard to accomplish this effect well? Sorry for being vague but I think that by saying any further, I would give away too much of the effect.

I'd love to learn more about this plot and if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be quite thankful.

Thanks!
-Harley Salas
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of drmagico
Hi Harley...there is a version called Heist...I believe there is a Café thread on it already...I purchased it last month but have not had a chance to work on it...like you I love the Tommy Wonder version but the "inner workings" make it impossible for most performers...Howard
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tommy Wonder's trick is his version of the famous Bandit Routine created by Oswald Rae way back in the 1920's. Tommy sold the trick at his lectures for $1500.00.

I also seen the ad for Heist, but wondered if it anything well made. I just found a demo video on Penguin Magic. It is not has good as Tommy Wonders in the handling of props, but I guess it will do, as it only costs a $100.00. It will cost almost that much for the props alone. Not as elegant as Tommy Wonder's, but hopefully, It can be performed better then the demo videos.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S19594

Contrary to the Heist advertising, this is not really a close-up trick. Many performer's use it as their opening to their act. If you read the review comments on Penguin, presenting this close-up will present some problems and it cannot easily be reset on the run.

Rich Matotta, has a version using another method for the trick. He uses he ski mask to vanish all the items.
http://richmarotta.com/store/mugged-2/

Alan Shaxon uses the classic method more along the lines of Oswald Rae, using a scarf to put his lout in. The lecture video is not available currently to my knowledge. It is in his book "My Kind Of Magic" the book is out of print. It is called "It's A Holdup".

And lastly, Jim Steinmeyer published his version in his book, "Conjuring Anthology", he adds an item advice on the Scarf. It is also along the lines of the original trick by Oswald Rae.

http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com/catalog/pro......9&page=1
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Marotta's looks the best to me.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2015, Pete Biro wrote:
Marotta's looks the best to me.

I was thinking the same. Plus it has a built in gag that is pretty much an automatic laugh.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The only reason Heist uses that large #10 envelope is for cover. It looks unnatural to use that size envelope to me anyway.

I am all for modernizing a trick, and especially this one, but I still use a super large Devil's Hank, like Alan Shaxon did, and added the flower from Jim Steinmeyer, then I thought to add the Ipod, so I purchased some dummy phones, then added the credit cards as well.

Using a envelope, Tommy Wonder said to press an image of the items, in his case the ring into the pay envelope prior to the show. This way their the envelope will have some form and not look like it is flat.

I would give Heist a try, but still thinking about it, as I have no clue as the quality of the main gimmick.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2015, Zephury wrote:
2. If that is the only way to get so much mileage out of that sort of effect, where can I get "Inner workings" of high standard to accomplish this effect well? Sorry for being vague but I think that by saying any further, I would give away too much of the effect.
Thanks!
-Harley Salas

The method and apparatus is explained in the Books of Wonder, a 2 volume set, but both volumes are hard to come by. It will do you little good, if you are not a jeweler, as Tommy Wonder was. There are small parts that have to assembled, so unless you have experience with brass and soldering, you will not be able to make the gimmicks needed.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There was a young magician on Penn & Teller's television show on the CW network tonight. He did the Bandit Routine. It was performed perfectly. He even fooled me with his vanish of the items. He actually used the small wage envelope like Tommy Wonder, but all the handling was different. Don't know if he used new version mentioned here or the actual Tommy Wonder apparatus, but it was very good. He mixed a long comedy routine finishing with the Bandit routine. It was a perfect presentation in my opinion. Very well done. Of course he did not win his appearance on Penn & Teller in Vegas, but it was a joy to watch.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
His name was Ben Seidman, if you watch it, listen for the tinkle when the finger ring is dropped into the envelope. Very convincing.

The envelope actually looks like it is holding everything. Just a brilliant presentation and attention to detail.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Great presentation Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
From the ad, it sounds like Ben Seidman used the new Heist product, as it uses a special finger ring and there are other presentations on the DVD that comes with the hardware. Just adding up the list of features, with what I seen on the Penn & Teller show.
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
Ben has been working on this effect for some time. I heard he was tipping his work at lectures, but at some point he stopped sharing. I saw a performance at his lecture where he declined to share his methods.

I don't think he is accociated with the Heist product. His presentation on P & T was strong.
Frank
cowboy5
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of cowboy5
Tommy Wonder is a great promoter of "Figure it out yourself" and this is so true for The Ring, The Watch and The Wallet. I studied his method and from there I figured out my own way of preparing the props in a similar fashion without all the expense. You can't expect this classic to come out of a box and perform it.I enjoy the hunt to find my own props and construct them. Some of the inner workings are out there, you just have to find them. Many of us thinkers lie in bed running the details through our minds and then in the morning go to the work bench a give our ideas a try. Failure often prevails. Keep at it and you will arrive at something that works. The hardware stores know me well. When they see me they know I'm on a "Magic Mission" to find a secret piece to the puzzle. I'm way under the $1500 budget.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2015, squando wrote:
Ben has been working on this effect for some time. I heard he was tipping his work at lectures, but at some point he stopped sharing. I saw a performance at his lecture where he declined to share his methods.

I don't think he is accociated with the Heist product. His presentation on P & T was strong.

Ben did do a very good job, if you consider his handling. Yes, he put a of thought into it, but he started with what has gone before him, as most of us problem solvers do.

The only thing that looked out of place is that giant watch he used. He handled it very well for the vanish and I have watched the performance several times, and cannot catch a thing.

I do believe I know exactly what he is doing. The only reason I think he used Heist was because it says, on the DVD they describe a method using a magnetic ring. If you note, Ben did use one of those standard magnetic finger rings that is on the market. Then his handing was only different from the demo video for Heist by using the right side, instead of the left side. Ben may very well be left handed, and that would account for the switching sides.

What still has me puzzled is the ring falling into the envelope and the tinkling as it falls to the bottom of envelope, that is a really good convincer.

Personally, I still like the tradition handkerchief idea. Of course, I am from the Cowboy and Indian days of movies and television shows. Yes, back in the day, crooks actually covered their faces with handkerchief when they were robbing people. To they all want to be on television, and we have so many people, no one can find them even with a picture.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Maybe there is only one ring?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2015, Sean Giles wrote:
Maybe there is only one ring?

I have no idea what you mean by that statement or what you are implying.

Of course there is only one ring, in this version and in the Alan Shaxon version. There are number of ways to accomplish this trick, as indicated by the numerous versions sited above in this forum.

I just said the tinkling as the ring was falling, was a brilliant feature to add to this trick. Whenever you can involve as many of the human 5 senses as possible, it is a smart thing to do.
cowboy5
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of cowboy5
When reading my post I had stated: "Tommy Wonder is a great promoter of "Figure it out yourself." Perhaps it should have said "Was" because of his passing to early in his life from Cancer. Anytime I read his books or watch his DVD's he remains here,and now.
blackstone99
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of blackstone99
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2015, Zephury wrote:
I was reviewing Tommy Wonder's Visions of Wonder tapes recently and was reminded of how stunningly deceptive his Ring Watch & Wallet is. I personally would love to start doing the routine so I've got a couple of questions.

1. Are there any Ring Watch and Wallet routines comparable in impact without requiring such elaborate "Inner workings" those who have seen this will know what I'm talking about... If not then that brings me to my second question...

I'd love to learn more about this plot and if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be quite thankful.

Thanks!
-Harley Salas

Larry Barnowsky has a wonderful routine with great patter in The Watch Wallet and Ring. It does not require the elaborate set of TW used. The original routine is in 21st Century Coin Mechanics. He also sells it as a separate manuscript. http://www.barnowskymagic.com/Paypalpaymentpage2.html

Paul
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Ben Seifman has posted his appearance on the Penn and Teller Fool Us show, just found it by accident.

This is the routine I mentioned in my above posts.

shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
I can assure you that Ben does NOT do the Heist method. Ben's is completely original and VERY clever. A great combination of gimmicks and sleight of hand.