The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Removing rust from rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
BeachCat
View Profile
New user
Vegas Baby!
54 Posts

Profile of BeachCat
I've just inherited some very old and miniature rings. They have rust on them which I'd like to remove but keep the finish in tact as much as possible. Suggestions?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Rings are generally chrome plated. If your ring is rusting, then the chrome may have wore off from over use. I would use 1st an SOS pad and that should do it. It will continue to rust though, I have not found anything that will retard the rusting of metal rings. Depending on how small they are, you might want to clear paint them, but again this will wear off with use. I assume you are speaking of Linking Rings and not finger rings, or some sort of chain rings.
BeachCat
View Profile
New user
Vegas Baby!
54 Posts

Profile of BeachCat
Yes, these are a small version of the linking rings. Approx 4" in diameter. I'll try your suggestions, I wasn't sure what they were made of and I want to be sure and get the rust off and bring them back to the original state. Thanks for your advice!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Bill is right, steel wool will help but won't fix or stop the problem.

The best plan is learn to use these and wring out the last bit of use you can but never use them in public.

Buy a new set of a similar size for use in public. You'll save wear and tear on your new ones. Practice with your new ones but not till you know the gist of how to handle them.

Mary Mowder
BeachCat
View Profile
New user
Vegas Baby!
54 Posts

Profile of BeachCat
Good idea Mary. I don't want to get rid of them as they have sentimental value for who I received them from but would like to work with them. I also got a full size set which is in great condition. How should these be cared for to keep them pristine?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I don't have any special knowledge about this other than that a light touch will preserve the coatings (and look more Magical).

Handle all the rings every time you practice because over time you can see a sleight difference in the ones you handle most because of wear and the oils on your hands. This difference can be useful but all in all, I'd prefer they all looked the same.

-Mary Mowder
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
The only way to truly fix this problem is to remove the rust and have them re plated which is expensive. You would be better off, if you want to perform with a small set of rings, to get a new set (Ninja Rings by Shoot Ogawa http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/523 is a good bet) and retire these rings.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
rik brooks
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of rik brooks
MrSharpe, that link just sells the DVD. I haven't seen Ninja rings on sale anywhere in a long time. I did hear that they aren't being sold any more.

To remove rust pour Coca-Cola on the ring http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=coca......3174AA4A
BeachCat
View Profile
New user
Vegas Baby!
54 Posts

Profile of BeachCat
Thanks Rik. I was searching around for ninja rings and noticed the same thing. Mine are a set of 8. It looked like Shoot only used 4. Is that correct?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yes, Shoot uses 4.

-Mary Mowder
BeachCat
View Profile
New user
Vegas Baby!
54 Posts

Profile of BeachCat
Is there anyone who can perhaps identify who mine are made by if I send a pic? I can't seem to get a photo uploaded of them. As I mentioned, mine are a set of 8