The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Gypsy thread starting point (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
123crampt
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of 123crampt
To learn the best gypsy thread technique would you start with L&L? Does the type of thread really matter and if so what do you use?

Thanks,
Gibbo
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It is not a fair question, as I have 4 spools of the correct thread from the 1970's. What you are looking for is a thread that will break without hurting your hand.

There are no so many versions, it is difficult to suggest any one. I am old school, so I like the Ali Bongo version.

http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......_id=2691 So much great magic in this book.

Glow Thread: http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......_id=2794

Glo Thread: http://www.camirandmagic.com/ac_040_s.html
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of RS1963
The thread does matter That is unless you are going use scissors or a candle to "break" the thread. Then that isn't all that much of an issue. The L&L video is a good place to start also look for Al Baker's version. The Ganson Series had a booklet dedicated to this effect. You can can now get that entire series as one large book from L&L The best thing to do is study all you can about this effect and find what works best for you. I use basting thread but that is hard to find unless you are in europe. I have had it imported to me so I don't have too much problem getting ahold of basting thread for this.
123crampt
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of 123crampt
Thanks, purchased L&L and also found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkEF9CePaK0
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just my opinion, but I don't like the L&L DVD on the Gypsy Thread. None of the performers are true artist. Yes, they have a name in magic, but that just means they have studied all the works I mentioned, and then made a video. I would rather use magic that was actually used by a performer with lay audiences and not magicians.
123crampt
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of 123crampt
I agree Bill, but it's a stretch to purchase an $80 book for one effect.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2015, 123crampt wrote:

For on effect, there are hundreds of classic magic routines explained in that book. Things you will or should use the rest of your performing career. Both close up and stand up magic. It will introduce you to the complete magic world of great magic. Not latest do dad on the market, but real workable magic.

It is an investment in yourself and your interest, hobby, or profession, whatever magic is for you.

I had to buy them one at a time, and wait for each to be published, what agony I went though.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2015, 123crampt wrote:

Fine don't pay $80.00 for one effect but you can buy the same product from the same publisher for this price of $39.95 in an e book edition as well. http://llepub.com/index.php?main_page=pr......ts_id=14

Plus for some performers work on Gypsy/Hindu Thread you are going to have to pay this price or more for just this one effect. For the price of &39.95 you get much more information and you will probably need other information contained in this one book alone anyway at somepoint so why not buy it? Once you know the method for this effect you aren't going to find too much different method wise from anyone else. Only their routine. So you have to get down to the "Do I want to come up with My own routine? Or do I want to do someone else's?" I'm more often than not one for getting all the information that you can on an effect that you want to do and then going from there. But with this effect again you really aren't going to find anything that much different other than presentaional aspects and a few bits here and there from others work on this effect. Get the Ganson book as well as the L&L video on Gypsy Thread and have fun with this great effect.
123crampt
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of 123crampt
$40 is more reasonable. Thanks RS
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of RS1963
You are very welcome. The Ganson Teach in Series is very good and to have them all on one place makes it much easier to find what you are looking for when it comes to that series. If you do purchase the e book I think you will be happy with it. Not just for knowing what is taught on the G. Thread either.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Interestingly both Ali Bongo and Geoffrey Buckingham both broke the thread from the bottom up and displayed the broken pieces on their arm. Every other version I have come across (so far) break the thread from the top down.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Go to www.lybrary.com there you can buy the teach in serie separately.as a pdf. best buy ever.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Someone I saw lecture years ago (name is gone - hope someone here can credit this) did GT with dental floss. I liked the idea because he had a nice self-contained handling and it was motivated - he said he saved the small bits left over when he emptied a container of floss and when he had enough bits, he made it into one long, usable strand.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2016, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:
Someone I saw lecture years ago (name is gone - hope someone here can credit this) did GT with dental floss. I liked the idea because he had a nice self-contained handling and it was motivated - he said he saved the small bits left over when he emptied a container of floss and when he had enough bits, he made it into one long, usable strand.

Lonnie Chevrie.
jimmy dunn
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of jimmy dunn
I saw the Geoffrey Buckingham lecture back in the 70's when he was hosted by Ring 35 in Birmingham. At the time you could buy cotton thread that could be broken with your hands, this became my favorite method of doing Gypsy thread.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Basting thread
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1918 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Http://www.wawak.com/Threads/Thread/cust....../Basting

Hard to beat this pricing. I just ordered some and they ship right away.
roningramii
View Profile
New user
Van Buren, Arkansas
18 Posts

Profile of roningramii
I think Gypsy Thread is wonderful and enjoy watching it done well and performing it. Being a rope man more than a thread man, I recently made a version using full sized rope wound on a giant spool to do this effect. I debuted it at a magic convention and threw in some comedy and it went over very well. I can now use it as comedy or serious magic for any stage performance. Try it. It's great!
Ron Ingramii
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2016, Rainboguy wrote:
Http://www.wawak.com/Threads/Thread/cust....../Basting

Hard to beat this pricing. I just ordered some and they ship right away.
Have you used this thread already?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2001 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
It just as easily could have been Tom Jones. Years ago when he came to NEMCON and was lecturing with Rachael Wild, he taught his version of what has become known as Gypsy Floss. He noted that he and Lonnie had discovered the idea independently around the same time and they had agreed that they would both continue to use and teach it.

For my money, Gypsy Floss is the best way to do the gypsy thread routine. Self contained package, organic, built in thread cutter, waxed thread so no saliva and a bright white color for easy viewing. Obviously, it's not for a stage show though.

For anyone who does gypsy floss, a tip I use is to let a small piece of thread poke outside of lid after the trick is set. I just stick the small string against against the right side of the floss container. This lets me know that the trick is set up and ready to go, since you won't really know that until you open the lid. It's a little piece of mind that prevents embarrassment.

Quote:
On Mar 23, 2016, Doug Arden wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2016, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:

Lonnie Chevrie.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin