The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Cigarette manipulation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
iMagic
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of iMagic
I've wanted to try this for a while now so I decided I would, can anyone recommend a good starting book or dvd?
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Encyclopedia of Cigarette magic... old book, hard to find but is around not sure of the author. Cheers Chris
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Didn't A-1 Multimedia put out a 3 volume set of cigarette magic with Tom Mullica? I don't know if it's still around, but you might want to try that.

Ditto the aforementioned Encyclopedia.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Abbotts Magic has the Encyclopedia of Cigarette magic in stock. I saw it there on the shelf the other day so you might want to try them.

As C Christian mentioned, it is a very old book and some of the things in it are very out of date. For instance, many of the things in it use the old filterless cigarettes. When the book was written that's what most smoked. That won't make a difference in most cases anyway. It is a very good book.

The Mullica tapes are also still available.

I have an effect called "Outsmokin'" available in my site. It's a comedy cigarette routine.

I haven't seen it yet but I've heard some pretty good things about that DVD out. I think it's called "Quit smoking" or something like that. From what video clips I've seen of people performing affects from it it seems pretty good. So you might want to check into that also.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
The Encyclopedia of cigarette tricks is from Keith Clarke.

The DVD "Quit Smoking" is from David Stone and is very good (one routine, 3 or 4 minutes, with a lot of fun).

The 3 tapes of Mullica are definitely for the smokers (a lot of tricks involve tonguing, i.e. make the cigarette vanish by putting it completely into your mouth.)

There is a very nice french tape of "Le Nain" (edited by Duvivier) which is a kind of encyclopedia of vanishes, productions, changes, and very useful moves. Even 2 complete routines. VERY nice. I think you could get it by contacting the Mayette boutique
http://www.mayette.com

Jonathan.
Xavier
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
209 Posts

Profile of Xavier
Tarbell Course!

Really great chapter on cigarette manipulation!
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
Keith Clark covers just about anything you need to know. Getting the most out of the book requires focused study, thought while reading, and practice.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Rocco John Cornelius Mullica
jimisolo
View Profile
Regular user
League City, TX
110 Posts

Profile of jimisolo
So am I the only one around here who hated the layout of Encyclopedia of Cigarette Tricks? Naaawwww, I doubt it. Smile

The Mullica tapes intrique me though, and I may go ahead and pick up a set (depending on which auctions I end up winning on ebay Smile ).

Hey Ron, would you mind either posting your site, or PM-ing me with it so I can go check it out. Thanks.

Finally, don't get me wrong about the Clark book, it DOES contain a LOT of info - the layout can become a bit tiresome though.
radiantentertainment
View Profile
Regular user
Donald Collins
112 Posts

Profile of radiantentertainment
Keith Clarks book is a thick read! He states that the thumb crotch is overused in C magic. LOL That is all I use as well. OK So I use the TT as well.
Life is not a dress rehearsal!
Less is more.
&
Knock'em dead!
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Quote:
Hey Ron, would you mind either posting your site, or PM-ing me with it so I can go check it out. Thanks.

This is an old discussion but I just stumbled upon it. My new site is up at magicjax.com and the cigarette Outsmokin' is now available as a PDF download. there's a video demo of it on my site if you want to check it out.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I saw Jaxons comedy cig routine it is one of the best.
Jax is your routine still on MVD for viewing????
vnny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Roxy
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Roxy
Maybe try Quit Smoking by David Stone. My friend showed me the Expert Cig Made easy vols by Tom Mullica and I did not like it that much.
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Outsmokin' looks good! I'm thinking of getting them!
Shawn74
View Profile
Loyal user
New Mexico
211 Posts

Profile of Shawn74
Now You See It, Now You Don't 1 and 2 have a bit of cigarette manipulation in them. Nothing really hard but enough to give you some ideas. Definatly if you can get your hands on the Mullica videos or DVDs. When I started in magic (this was only in 94) Mullica was the man when it came to smokes and improv magic.

Thank You
Shawn
Hold your breath...make a wish...count to 3... and you'll be in a world of pure imagination
Willy Wonka
k
View Profile
Loyal user
Marseille
283 Posts

Profile of k
Encyclopedia of cigarette tricks keith clark
The amazing cigar books by Jon Rachenbaumer (lotta infos on cigar mani^p, stunts, tricks and teaches you how to blow the most perfect rings ever, it's a must have if you like cigar puffing with your wiskey!!!
I'm just a blind Con that lost his I...
remember, Magic's everywhere... ("Your are the magic !" - Albert Goshman)

"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple. On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux" St-Exupéry
rexgetz
View Profile
New user
Manhattan, Ks.
84 Posts

Profile of rexgetz
Try to find someone with the Chavez course notebooks--really excellent instruction on cigaettes
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Cellini does a great cigarette routine on the art of street performing part 2. Lots of Chavez stuff in there.
koz
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-11-23 11:39, tedb wrote:
Cellini does a great cig routine on the art of street performing part 2...lots of chavez stuff in there...
koz
Agreed..Cellinis cigaretteroutine is great, but it's his smoke out of the mouth that kills..that one is outstanding, taking the simple means into consideration....only a few will learn it..

I remember Carazini doing similar..not to be compared with Tom Mullica..he's EXTRMELY outstanding, but Cellinis cig-work is practical and those willing to spend a little time can learn it...in no time Smile !
(Because Cellini did all the groundwork and shares his experience from years of using it!)
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
It’s really a great routine because it gets such a reaction from the audience to do his routine you must be a smoker. But if you just want to learn some cigarette manipulations, this is also great.
Ko