The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Finger Ring and String Finales (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Just researching about ring and string finale's. I didn't start working with the Ring and String until not too long ago (finger ringer and a leather lace to clarify) so I'm pretty new to it. Forgive me if I ask questions of which should be common knowledge.

I'm trying to figure out what's going to make the best finale for me as I intend on closing a powerful set with a ring and string routine. (Strolling/table hopping)

So far, the thing that I like most is Ring Flight, with Diamond Jim Tyler's Collateral ranking high as well.

Are there any other great finales out there that you guys could share comments about?

As I said before... Currently, I'm pretty hooked with a ring flight. Departure seems great and so does Prop Dog's Ring Flight Revolution.It seems ultra realistic and has the visual appeal plus reputation.... also a price tag. Can anyone who owns both items give me your opinion on the two?
if I decide to go with a ring flight which is what it seems, I'll be going with one of the two.

Let me know, please. Thanks!
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
I have owned three Departures. The first broke and the second and third were free replacements from the creator/distributor, Chris Smith who's a great guy. But those also broke. Each time, it was while they were in my pocket. I never got to perform it. This was back in 2008 and I would be very surprised if they were still breaking now, so this may be a viable option. But I honestly gave up on it.

I have heard nothing but glowing reviews of Ring Flight Revolution and if I decided to do this style of Ring Flight again, I'd get that one without question.

Which brings me to another point. The method that both these products use is risky. As I've gotten older and wiser (well at least gotten older) I've become more apprehensive about that method. Something to think about.

But back to your point, I think your choice of effect is a great idea. Hard to beat Ring Flight as a closer to a set.

I started doing a ring and string routine back in 1999 but never felt I had a strong ending. I was just doing it as a middle routine though, so the whole set didn't depend on it. Still when table hopping, you never know -- ANY of your routines could end up being the closer if the food comes, etc. So this thread is of interest to me too. I'd be curious to see what the seasoned pros advise.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
A bump to that, Christopher.

I agree with what you're saying as far as the fact that it seems risky. Some curious, wondering eye could see the contraption in plain view it seems, unless I'm mistaken. I don't exactly want to do it only for corner booths, and special arrangements where my angles are good. I like to be able to be surrounded.

I second the request of some seasoned pros with ring and string finales to respond.

Thanks!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Scott Guinn had a couple of good finales to ring and string routines. In "Symphony for Ring and String" he uses Peter Samelson's "In The Hand - Off" in which a ring is threaded on a string and placed in spectator's hand. Second spectator holds ends of string and the ring comes off in the first spec's hand. Powerful because it happens in spectator' hands!

In "Strung Out" Scott uses Jim Ryan's "Ring, Rope, and Rod" and then closes clean with a ring vanish using Tamariz's Double Crossing the Gaze" misdirection.

Jim
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Hi Harley, I was actually referring to the risk of damaging the ring using those methods.

Jim, those endings sound great, particularly the one in Scott Guinn's routine. I'll have to look that up.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4226 Posts

Profile of warren
Personally I think Nesting wallets is the perfect ending and has the bonus of knowing the ring will safely get to its destination without fear of the ring getting damaged or going flying across the room.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2015, J-Mac wrote:
Scott Guinn had a couple of good finales to ring and string routines. In "Symphony for Ring and String" he uses Peter Samelson's "In The Hand - Off" in which a ring is threaded on a string and placed in spectator's hand. Second spectator holds ends of string and the ring comes off in the first spec's hand. Powerful because it happens in spectator' hands!

In "Strung Out" Scott uses Jim Ryan's "Ring, Rope, and Rod" and then closes clean with a ring vanish using Tamariz's Double Crossing the Gaze" misdirection.

Jim

FYI: I was curious about the "In the Hand - Off", but couldn't find it, until I looked at the other routine that Jim mentions. Just swap the names of the two effects.

Jim, or anyone, I would love to see a demo of either of those routines. I have Scott's "trilogy", but I think it would help to see it in action.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
John,

Thank you for the correction! I was going from memory - apparently I shouldn’t do that from now on. Here's the good info:

Scott's ebook "My Best to You - Close-Up and Stand-Up" has a Ring and String routine called "Strung Out" which starts on page 31 and ends on page 40. The finale used is Peter Samelson's "In the Hand-Off" and it starts on page 38. That routine is from Samelson's much celebrated book "Theatrical Close-Up".

Scott published another ebook called "Symphony for Ring and String" which is purely a Ring and String routine, rather than a compilation of routines like the one mentioned above. In this book the finale consists of Sccott's variation of Jim Ryan's "Rope, Ring, and Rod" followed immediately by a ring vanish aided by Juan Tamariz's Double Crossing the Gaze.

I really like both of the above ways to end a finger ring and string routine. Both have served me very well!

Thanks again!

Jim

John - Sorry but I don’t have any references for videos of the above. In my opinion, that's the only negative aspect of Scott Guinn's work: No video performances for most of his stuff so you can't see him in action with his printed routines.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
I am currently working on learning Diamond Jim Tyler's Collateral routine (bought it this week, in fact, at his lecture) and think it has one of the strongest--yet uncomplicated--endings of any finger ring routine I've seen.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
For those interested, all of my available material is now owned by Chris Wasshubber, owner of Lybrary.com and can be purchased there, including the items referenced by J-Mac above.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Hi Harley (the OP), I've been working with Pro-Flite lately and really like it as an alternative to the traditional Ring Flight. You might also want to take a look at that.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
On a recent stroll along the interwebs, I came across this well made source PDF from an IBM ring
http://ibm.ring35.org/data/files/Ring&Rope.pdf
I find that many ring and rope moves can also be adapted to ring and string moves.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2015, Poof-Daddy wrote:
On a recent stroll along the interwebs, I came across this well made source PDF from an IBM ring
http://ibm.ring35.org/data/files/Ring&Rope.pdf
I find that many ring and rope moves can also be adapted to ring and string moves.

Hey PD: I believe that list was compiled by our own Lawrence O. He has posted it several times here in the Café.

Take a look here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=7059307

A shame they didn't credit him!

Jim
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Good call. Lawrence O. donates his bibliographies all the time. He should get some credit.