The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Best Linking Rings (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I'm looking to buy my first set of linking rings and I'd appreciate some advice from those with experience.

What are the best brand of rings and where can I find them from a dealer who ships quickly?
I've read reviews of Uday and they seem to be mixed. Some say they are flimsy some say they are great. Tannens, near where I live, has a 10" set for $35 but their descriptions leave a lot to be desired and the price seems low comapred to other places. The gentleman on the phone was very nice but as expected talked the product up.Fantasma has a 12" set for $75 with the same bad descriptions, plus they are a touristy kind of place.

I've decided to go with either 10" or 12" is there any difference from a beginners point of view?
I intend to use them as a draw for my busking show. I figure the sound and sparkling should be good for that. I'll probably start with a routine that uses just a few of the rings and go from there.

Any suggestions on the best dvd to buy, again from a beginners point of view?

Any other hints or suggestions to smooth out the learning curve?
I'm more than willing to put in the practice but some sage advice might help, so I've come to the place where sages gather. Smile

I've wanted to learn this since I was a kid and I'd like to buy the best I can from the beginning. I've been burned on purchases before and don't want to waste time or money.

Thx in advance.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
I cannot make a recommendation on rings as I too am just learning to work with them after years of shying away from this particular trick. (There are several other fairly recent threads on here about choosing good rings, though, if you do a thorough search.)

I can however suggest a great routine--Pop Haydn's Four-Ring Routine. It's not overly complicated, funny as hell, and includes a number of very magical moments that are very impressive from the audience point of view. Here's the routine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-C10zSiz9o

and here's where you can buy it:

http://www.popsmagic.com/

The DVD is excellent; Pop is a terrific teacher of both the moves and the theory behind them. The routine was actually developed for his street act and he goes into some great details about how to use it on the streets, which should be of interest to you.

Best of luck!
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1349 Posts

Profile of Leo H
If I was beginning with the Linking Rings, I'd purchase Levent's four DVD set. You can't go wrong with Levent:

http://www.leventmagic.com/

I believe he will help guide you to your correct set of rings.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Whit Haydn's four ring routine is great it is available on DVD
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
frankie5aces
View Profile
New user
Nowhere
77 Posts

Profile of frankie5aces
Do you know anyone who does metalwork? maybe you could have some made for you?
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Does anyone know about Proline Magic's rings. They look very nice, better than the cheaper sets, but not as pricey as Owen or Porper. Perhaps a decent upgrade without breaking the bank???
jaynet
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of jaynet
Positive-Better than any others( I have used them all). Solid aluminum and light with a great ring sound when they bang together.
Negative- Can be up to a year to get but well worth waiting for.
jaynet
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of jaynet
Sorry I was referring to Proline's rings.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Rings vary in size and quality as do people; so rings feel different to different people. I have tried rings that feel horrible in my hands and others feel like they are almost a part of me. They are great to handle and perform with. It's a feeling you get only after working with rings over time. Start out with a good quality set that isn't too expensive. You may find out after a while, that you just don't enjoy the rings, or they don't work as well, as you had thought. Then you aren't out too much money.

Look at as many routines on video (youtube) that you can find and see what strikes your fancy. Look for routines that are available (e.g Levant, Vernon, Ross, Hadyn, etc.) Then work on one routine to give you focus and a goal. Once there you can then explore variations and make it more of "your" routine.

After a while (and the money gets better)you can look for a better set of rings. I started out in college with a set of cheap 8" rings (no idea who the maker was). I moved over to a nice set of 10" (Rings & Things) and about 12 years ago moved on to a 12" set of Owens. Your mileage may vary.
Coram Deo
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1349 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Great post Steven! Hear, hear!

"hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10003 Posts

Profile of funsway
Echoing Steven - you might only use a single move from a "great." The AL Schneider routine has some impressive handlings, but only one fir in with my other favored moves. The point is "don't be an echo" -- Rings gives you an incredible venue to be creative - building a unique routine out of proven methods.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I second the DVD recommendation of Levent. Fantastic teaching on the 3 ring routine.
You cannot go wrong with Whit's Haydn's Comedy Linking Rings. It'll have you looking like a master in no time at all.
I use 10 inches- if you are on a really big stage- you'd want bigger but its probably not necessary.
I used a cheap set of 10 inch linking rings for years. they worked fine- especially for some of the moves you learn in whit's dvd. kinda heavy but they work just fine. I'd get a cheap set and then work your way up. They come up for sale on the Café and you can sell your cheap set when you are done with them.
The linking rings are a classic for a reason. I do them in every one of my shows.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
If you go tubular be careful if you let spectators handle them, especially the aluminum. When I worked at Hollywood magic in Costa Mesa, CA another demonstrator there was demonstrating the rings with an expensive set of tubular rings and let a spectator examine one. The spectator--about 12 years old--took it and unintentionally bent it into an oval. Bye bye $150 set of tubular rings.
In general, get a set that is made out of apps. 1/4" diameter chromed steel wire, with good welds that have been ground smooth before the electroplating process. They will sound really ring really nice and the chrome will make the illusion very effective. Stay away from the locking keys because they are totally unnecessary. Size is a matter of personal preference. I have a 10" set, and two smaller sets for smaller audiences.
If you decide to have a set made custom as was suggested, go with brass since you can't weld steel that has already been plated and have the welds not show. Plating them afterwards could be quite expensive so you may as well go with a commercial set.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Of all the ring sets I have owned...a 12" set of Owens would be my choice!

Doug
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
500 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
Checkout Redefine Rings

I have both Owen, Merv Taylor, and Redefine. I can't tell my Redefine from Owen, except that they were about half the price. Also I have a backup set of 12 inch Redefine that are like new that I may be willing to part with. I think Hocus Pocus carries Redefine Rings.

Have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Go with Owen or Porper
Magic Oli
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of Magic Oli
What about close up rings?
mahucharn
View Profile
Elite user
418 Posts

Profile of mahucharn
I quite like my Messado Rings for close up. They're out of stock though I believe.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Vernon uses 5-inch rings close-up.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
regimbeaup
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of regimbeaup
Maybe a silly question, but do all those rings use smtg similar to Himber rings?