The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Need a battery crash course (Tarantula & Spider Pen) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Hi there. I saw that the replacement batteries on the mentioned items are ridiculously expensive if you buy them from a magic dealer.
Unfortunately I have no idea about those small round batteries. So my question would have been to ask where else to get them, but then again I am from Germany. So I guess I have to go with the type of battery instead, and search for stores myself.
What batteries do the Tarantula and the (old) Spider Pen use? Standard watch batteries? Are there any differences among those small silver round batteries?

I hope you guys can help me out.

Thank you very much in advance!

Greetings from Germany,
Markus
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just visit a store that sells hearing aid and watch batteries. Here in the U.S. we have huge multi product reduced price stores here called Wal-Mart, they sell watches, and jewelry as well. There is a book that stores have that can match a batteries with the battery you have or a perfect substitute. Otherwise, go to a hearing aid store, if they don't have the battery go to watch store. Changes are they will still be expensive.

Yes, all those small batteries are different. Take the battery out of your pen, and read the number on it. That is the battery you are looking for, you may need a magnifying glass to read the numbers.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just looked up the price of the battery. Penguin price is $3.75 U.S., regular price $5.00, that is not expensive for these small batteries.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S12790
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
+ 25 Dollars shipping = nogo. that's why I need to get them in my area. I just need to know the exact type of the battery the old Spider Pen, and the Tarantula are using. I noticed so far, that my Tarantula battery is like half was thick only in comparison to the Spider Pen battery.
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I know their are magic shops in Germany. I posted the Penguin listing to show you that the price is not considered expensive, you will pay that for a battery in Germany.
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
I figured out the battery type. Now I need to gather the knowledge what info on those batteries incdicate how long a battery will last. I am off my way to a electro market. I hope they will help me there.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
I bought mine on eBay,pretty cheap ! Just don't buy Maxell batteries, they're junk!
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Glad I was a latecomer to the Spider Pen. The new ones take a common AAA battery and I'm told last much longer than the older "button". Batteries.

Andre
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
yair61
View Profile
New user
Israel
55 Posts

Profile of yair61
I have a question about buying Tarantula. I found it at the price of 19$.
It can be the real one or it is a fake?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Only way to be sure is to get through a legit dealer.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Quote:
On 2014-02-17 22:50, yair61 wrote:
I have a question about buying Tarantula. I found it at the price of 19$.
It can be the real one or it is a fake?

Seeing that the product is located in china that's already a big red flag for me. They tend to make a lot of knockoffs. Just stick with reputable companies or the best is to buy directly from the creator.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
The legit ones break often enough. I cant imagine how bad a Chinese fake would be.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
yair61
View Profile
New user
Israel
55 Posts

Profile of yair61
Has anyone here ever bought from China and was disappointed?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Welcome to the Café, Yair61! Smile

To answer your question, yes, many have bought pure JUNK from China! Rip-offs, inferior materials and some stuff just plain does not work! Look around the Café. You'll find many. Back on topic...

See, the battery thing is one reason I want nothing to do with electric ITRs. Steve Fearson shows you how to MAKE a "poor man's ITR" out of two brass rings! The Web Spinner is another one! That's it for me. I do have a John Kennedy Power Reel, but that's monofilament. Whole different animal.

Friends, I strongly urge you to ignore the hype. I mean we now have Spinnerets. Another $150. What do you really need to start out? Really? I'll tell you. You need a 1000m spool of royal blue woolly nylon serging thread. Y.L.I. brand. And scotch tape. Maybe $6 (US) invested?

A Spider Pen and Tarantula together is over $200! Give me my Web Spinner, and I can do EVERYTHING they can! Which would you rather spend, $25 or $200? Smile

Doug
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
Dougini is absolutely right. the Web Spinner is the best thing I have seen for years. I met JoeJoe at his shop at the beach and I just wanted to tell him how often I use his product and how great it has been in my shows! He was just as his name says... Amazing. He took his time, energy and effort, and gave me a show ..pointers.. and just all around great magic conversation. I have started using Fearson’s Vectra and I can float heavy items. Have to use a safety pen to close pocket or gimmick my come out!! But still best on market, with the DVD!
yair61
View Profile
New user
Israel
55 Posts

Profile of yair61
Thank you Dougini and Magic_son.
Until now I just used yigal mesika's elastic thread, and now I want do try the regular thread.
The Web Spinner is like the Spider Pen? And how I can use "spool of royal blue woolly nylon serging thread" like you said? where can I see Steve Fearson explain it?

And Thank again.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
The Web Spinner is not like the Spider Pen at all. Different concept. The spool of royal blue woolly nylon serging thread is the most basic. You take about six to ten feet and strip a piece out. Not hard, but it take a good amount of practice to get good at it.

Beginners should study Michael Ammar's 3-DVD set, plus John LeClair's DVD. When you watch Steve Fearson and JoeJoe in their respective DVD's, the concept becomes clear.

IT is really not for beginners. It can be a frustrating time of it. The hype over Spider Pens, Tarantulas, Spinnerets, ITRs, etc...is ridiculous. Most end up in a drawer with the thread broken. I've heard the Tarantula just falls apart.

Ya want inexpensive? Spend $10 on this ebook:

http://www.lybrary.com/the-invisible-thr......399.html

Doug
yair61
View Profile
New user
Israel
55 Posts

Profile of yair61
Thank you. It is very helpfull.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On , yair61 wrote:
Thank you Dougini and Magic_son.
Until now I just used yigal mesika's elastic thread, and now I want do try the regular thread.
The Web Spinner is like the Spider Pen? And how I can use "spool of royal blue woolly nylon serging thread" like you said? where can I see Steve Fearson explain it?

And Thank again.

You have tried elastic thread and now want to try regular. Remember these are two different animals. Kind of like "I've tried card magic, now I want to try coin magic". Elastic thread (like "loops" and the many bands you can make yourself (cheaper), ) and 'regular' invisible thread (like wooly, Vectra, Harr...) do some effects in common such as "haunted pack" but mostly completely different types of effects. Set ups for IET are basically the same in most every IET effect where IT has a plethora of different styles and hook ups. Also, there are many different delivery and storage systems for IT (such as an ITR, a Web Spinner, Thread Bullets, and a host of self built devices) (Steve Fearson goes over several diy systems on his "Master Levitation System" dvd set).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
RajeshLGov
View Profile
Regular user
India
149 Posts

Profile of RajeshLGov
With respect to all. I won't say all Chinese products r bad, I've a few items n they r really good. Even after regular practice & use- in my case ALL r really good. The only problem is they take a lot of delivery time. Best Wishes, Raj.