The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Hardcore magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magicdave56
View Profile
Regular user
Ellisville, MO 63011
195 Posts

Profile of magicdave56
Is there a such a thing of hardcore magic ?
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1453 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
What would softcore magic look like???

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
MMMagic29
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of MMMagic29
Hardcore magic generally refers to a lot of sleight of hand involved in the trick.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3669 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
There are certainly hardcore Magicians.

It's a lifestyle, a passion and a genuine reverence for Magic as a craft.

There are some card and coin sleights that could be called hardcore.

-Mary Mowder
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10003 Posts

Profile of funsway
When one cannot see an object in a thrift-store without asking self, "Now, what magic effect can I do with this?"
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I do not buy anything unless it has a magical purpose, the only exception is microwave oven, pots and pans to cook with. Dishes, cups, glasses, plates, can all be used in a magic trick. Everything else has a magical purpose or can be used in a magic show.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3669 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
It shows in your every post Bill.

-Mary
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2014-01-02 05:45, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I do not buy anything unless it has a magical purpose, the only exception is microwave oven, pots and pans to cook with. Dishes, cups, glasses, plates, can all be used in a magic trick. Everything else has a magical purpose or can be used in a magic show.

So, No gas for your car or do you have a Magic Carpet?
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1453 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Quote:
On 2014-01-01 20:40, Mary Mowder wrote:
There are certainly hardcore Magicians.

It's a lifestyle, a passion and a genuine reverence for Magic as a craft.

There are some card and coin sleights that could be called hardcore.

-Mary Mowder

I definitely fall into the lifestyle and have a burning passion and reverence for the art. My card sleights are based on utility moves and not on knuckle busting carpal acrobatics and my coin work is limited to pulling coins out of kids ears and the occasional 'Scotch & Soda'.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
I would classify 'hardcore' magic as being the same as 'shock' magic; needle swallow, razor blade swallow, ect.

I think the OP is referring to XM (I may have a partial abbreviation there) which is actually more about flourishes and manipulations than actual sleights.

My 2c.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
In Chicago, they have a Hardcore magic club or list that attends every lecture that comes to town.

I do not think the meaning has changed, but maybe this strange new finger flinger group refers to themselves as something similar. I do not consider being proficient with flipping and shuffling cards magic. I consider it more like mastering the Yo Yo, and Hula Hoop.

Thai is only my opinion, I have not been around the young flippers.

There is a trick that uses Gasoline, though, do you know which one it is?

-------------------------------------------------------

Jay, I don't have a car. Maybe it is your second guess. Smile

There is a trick that uses gasoline, do you know which one it is? And another that uses kerosene.
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
I am so happy to be promoted because of my
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
I'm with you Ray. I love the delight on kids faces when you pull a coin out of their ear. Scotch and Soda is a lot of fun too. I posted in another thread. My muggle job is a copier technician. I went into an office to fix a copier, but before I did, I performed S and S to the lady where the centavo changes to a quarter in her hand. I watched her while I was fixing her copier. She was so amused she had a smile on her face for five whole minutes. what's better than that Smile
There Is No Revolution Without Evolution