The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: In need of a reel! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
The Wonder Company
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of The Wonder Company
Who knows where I can get a good reel to do silk penetrations through my linking rings, or through my microphone stand, or through anything?

And also any Reel funny thoughts?

-Max
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
One place you could try is Albertson's. They have two inexpensive reels; one is in with the automotive stuff and tools and the other is over with the hair scrunches and stuff. The one in the hair section is actually the better of the two, in my opinion. It has a huge fake diamond on one side, which may or may not be a drawback to you.

It's called LittleLeash, comes in several colors, and costs about $4.00. It stretches out to 36 inches and has a little rubber loop you can attach to things. The cord is a thin flat black (flat as in color, not shape) cord. It's strong enough and silent enough for a penetrating silk, I think.

The other reel is less expensive (about $1.50 or so), also has 36 inches of retraction, but is less strong and may not work for silk through microphone stand. It has a badge holder clip on the end of the cord instead of a rubber loop, so it's a little less convenient that way, too. An advantage it has over the other, though, is that it has no fake diamond on it.

Another possible option is to go to a joke shop and get a bill snatcher. I found one for $1.xx that uses a fishing line as the cord and is able to be locked. It seems good enough to use for silk through microphone stand as well.

I hope this helped. Smile
The Wonder Company
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Thanks, I've tried them but they’re not fast enough. Any idea who makes a really fast, smooth, super duper one. Does John Kennedy? Anybody?
Smile
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I just posted in another discussion that I found some nice ones at the mall at Wilson’s Leather. So if you have a Wilson’s Leather in your area, give that a try.

Also look for camping supply stores (or section of stores.) You might have seen a lot of waitresses carry nametags and things like that on small pulls. So that's just another department to check out if there is a place in your area that has things like that.

I know some magic dealers carry good ones. I'm not sure of brands, but maybe check out some of the larger magic dealers. Isn't it John Cornelius who has a really strong locking pull? His was used as a vanisher though. (If it wasn't Cornelius please correct me.)

Well, just a few suggestions. Good luck.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
The Wonder Company
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Thanks Jax. I think you're right about John Cornelius making it.
-Max Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Not trying to repeat myself here, but in another thread I mentioned the George Kirkendall Reel.
If anyone knows of a professional reel such as this (I understand it's no longer being made), that's what Max wants, in fact, SOMEONE needs to make a reel like this, it's so quiet, and FAST...it hurts! I can reel out about five feet of thread, and hold the center with my thumb (it has a brake built in), and the silk shoots across the room into my hand, no noise! Watch those fingers, though! Blood blister-city!

Using the microphone stand the silk "glides" through. You cannot see it! None of the other ones I've tried come even close. It's a very well made device.

Just so you can see what I'm so excited about, check out this link, and scroll down to see GK's Reels. Please let us know what you think. (I hate getting the last word on these threads.)

http://www.gary-michaels.com/kirk.html

Max, if you can find a George Kirkendall Reel, used or otherwise (nope, mine's not for sale!), BUY IT!!! Good luck!

Doug
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Also I believe the Petrick and Mia magic reel is very good and has a brake as well. You'll find it under the "PM magic Reel".

I believe Hocus-Pocus has it.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Key reels found in all hardware stores are very strong and can pull a lot of weight if needed, but they are not real fast. They are heavy duty though!
For stage use they are fine as far as noise goes.
I wouldn't use one close up.
Daniel Faith
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
You're right, MacGyver...now that's pretty close to the GK...I might have to spring for one (pun intended)!

Thanks!

Oh, And Wonder Company...have you seen the book, "Reel Magic" by Albenice? it talks about the Thornton Windlass & the Lightning Pull...I'd be curious if anyone makes something like those, these days...

Doug
The Wonder Company
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Thanks Dougini and Mcguyver. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I shall check out those sites right now. you've been a BIG Help. Smile
-Max Darwin
DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
788 Posts

Profile of DaveM
Some of the faster ones are the reels that are used to hold security badges, etc. Instant snap back. They can be found at some office supply stores.

Dave
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Now you have ME searching...looks like the quality of the G.K. can't be matched, today. Everyone I've contacted says no, the G.K. was the KING of reels, but the Ultra Reel is, "pretty good", the Petrick & Mia is a vanisher, not a reel, well it IS a reel, but for use as a "pull"...

Far as I can find, the fastest, quietest one is the John Kennedy...it's electronic, and fast...I'd be curious if it'll do justice to the Silk Thru Mic Stand. The ad says it'll snatch a silk from quite a distance...

If you want, I'll let ya know if I find anything...I'm gonna put some effort into this one. Magic needs good reels!

"Reeling" from exhaustion,

Doug
Erik Anderson
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
171 Posts

Profile of Erik Anderson
I have to agree with MacGyver, the reel that Petrick and Mia put out is very nice to work with. It's fast, quiet, and very strong. Plus the locking mechanism is secure and (depending on where you put it) can be locked hands-free. It is worth looking at.
Erik "Aces" Anderson

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." ~ Mark Twain

http://www.acesanderson.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Got to http://www.owenmagic.com for a quality finger reel. All those "security and key back cheapo reels" lack the finger lock/release necessary to to the "work."

BTW thanks for the Kirkendall link.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Wonder Company
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Thanks for the link Pete. I'm checking out Owen right now. I stumbled onto the Magic Café and all of a sudden I'm having a conversation with Pete Biro. Ahhhh... life is wonderful. Smile

Max
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
Hi Max,

Kirkendall's reel also allowed one to take it apart to install a new line.

The problem here is that this reel is no longer made and very difficult to get. It's been a collectors item for a while as are the old P&L reels.

No one mentioned the Swedish reel now marketed through Stevens and El Duco. They are pricey but said to be good. I believe the cost is about $80.

There is also a set of low priced reels recently being marketed for under $20. One is locking one not. I have heard the locking reels best used for serpantine silk style routines while the reels without locks are best for silk through mike stand routines. That is where you need speed.

Sound is a problem for many reels. The name badge reels are a waste of money on several accounts.

The dollar snatchers are gags and don't work well. They bind after a few uses. I tried them years ago. They do work until they break though.

Paul Diamond talks about reels at length on one of his tapes. I also believe he sold a reel but don't know how good it was.

I believe the Petrick & Mia reel is about $50.

Stevens also offered a cheaper reel than the Swedish Reel, but I don't know about the quality.

Good luck.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
The Petrick & Mia is a Vanisher/Pull...it has thick white cord...

That Swedish reel sounds worth looking into...thanks!

Doug
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The swedish reel I believe is a large reel also.

I found a $6 reel at Daytona Magic, the ad says it comes apart to fix it. The picture shows it finger reel size.

They also have regular finger reels made in metal.

Noise can always be solved by placing spacers made from playng card stock, and packing the reel with Vasoline.

Have fun!
Bill Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Actually, Bill,

The GK reel has card stock "washers" (spacers), and they recommend Hoppe's Gun Oil...that's worked for me for YEARS!

Hopefully we can find something of comparable quality...still searching...

Doug
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Max:

I think your best bet is with Owen Magic, as Pete already suggested. I have a Kirkendal reel and an Owen reel, and like them both very much. They're both equally fast for penetration effects. To be honest, I like the Owen reel a tiny bit better because the casing is made of brass, whereas the Kirkendal case seems to be made of tin or aluminum (I'm not sure).

I believe the Owen reel is $75.00 or less.

Ron