The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Mercedes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I love Michael Closes magic, and I have his DVDs from L&L but doggone it, some of the props he uses are hard as heck to find and obtain. In his routine called ring fright, he uses a prop called the Mercedes key. What a beautiful effect, but absolutely useless if you can't find the prop to make it work. Does anyone know where I can obtain this prop? Michael says it is no longer being manufactured. So why teach me the trick if I can’t ever recreate it? Anybody know where I can get one of those Mercedes keys?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Nope... I looked long and hard, and DID get one... from someone here. Timing is everything.

Don't give up.

Maybe someone that knows who made 'em can help.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'll definitely keep looking, but the lingering question in my mind is this: What kind of perverse pleasure is Michael getting from explaining effects that he knows darned good and well you never perform because you won't be able to obtain the props in the first place? (I mean that in a nice way.) But in my other posts I've asked around for others input on where I can obtain certain props, mainly because I paid my hard earned money for the Michael Close videos, and I'm determined to get my moneys worth out of them! Why should I just let them decorate my shelf? I'm a doer, not an observer.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Atta boy daffydoug. Did you manage to find the key - I too am a doer - and am now on the prowl for one of these keys Smile

a.
Logic Defied
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2003-12-23 22:50, daffydoug wrote:
I'll definitely keep looking, but the lingering question in my mind is this: What kind of perverse pleasure is Michael getting from explaining effects that he knows darned good and well you never perform because you won't be able to obtain the props in the first place?

Maybe he expects to teach you not to be a "Close Clone." (meant in a nice way too)

By teaching you how he developed his routines, maybe he's hoping you'll take the ideas you learned and adapt it to your own work rather than emulate his?

I think it was Eugene Burger who said "Magicians stop thinking too soon."

I don't have that, but is it something that relies on the fact that Mercedes uses steel keys (I think), therefore are attracted to a magnet? If not, why Mercedes? Is there some special property that makes it work?

Find something else that has that property, and wrap a routine around it.

Just a thought...
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Michael covers the depressing lack of these keys in his new book, and offers some alternatives to it.
stuper1
View Profile
New user
California
100 Posts

Profile of stuper1
Ya gotta admire his marketing plan. First, he sells you a video. Then, you have to buy a book in order to make the video work. There must be something else coming in order to make the book work.
Cane and Able
View Profile
New user
The Great White North
82 Posts

Profile of Cane and Able
Hey Doug!

"Able" and I worked out a version of the effect with a non gimmicked key. It worked great.

Other than that, good luck with your search.

Cane
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Keep your eyes peeled here for news on a Key for the Gaetan Bloom / Michael Close handling...
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Mercedes Benz, the folding key, was made by Sterling Magic and you can find them every now and then on eBay. The original folding key was 35B from England and a well kept secret until it made it here to the U.S. The English maker cleverly chose to advertise without even tipping the effect. You sort of ordered it "blind." It was not a disappointment. The originator almost begged you to keep it a secret in the instructions. Someone didn't and Mercedes Benz was born.

You can also find 35B if you look around (in fact, I have three.) It is a more "normal" looking key...small brass key like used for a big padlock or a housekey...the name originated from the engraving on the key "35B" It also had a GREAT manuscript of instructions with it.