The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Basic instruction for linking rings with classic key (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
I have some rings, both 10" and 4". Both sets are non-locking. Can someone suggest very basic instructions for working with them?
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1348 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Hi Gomerel--If I were you, I'd pick up Levent's DVD on the Linking Rings. It is a thorough treatise on the rings. Bob White also has an interesting DVD on this prop. Good luck.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Thanks, Leo! White is probably more withing my budget.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Ordered the White dvd from Penguin considerably cheaper that what other vendors are charging. I'm looking forward to working with it.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
You might want to check our Whit Haydn's "Comedy 4 Ring Linking Ring Routine" DVD. One of the BEST routines available!!!

Mark. Smile
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Don't forget the book of Pete Biro!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Still available from http://www.stevensmagic.com
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Thanks. I'll keep Biro and Levent in mind. Right now, I need to take baby steps.

Whit Haydn is a hoot. I have seen it performed well several times. Not quite where I want to go though.
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Roger Klause's routine with 4 rings is detailed in the book "In Concert." It's a fabulous, easy to do routine - I've had a set of rings for nearly 30 years and it's the routine I still turn to.

Oscar
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Pete Biro is the expert on many effects and was part of the jury at FISM with Ascanio. The Chinese Linking Ring and the C&Bs are definitely not -in the least- one of his weak spot in magic.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thank you Lawrence.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
I'm working my way through Chinese Linking Rings by Bob White. It seems perfect for a beginner. The price from Penguin was excellent and the dvd arrived two days after I ordered it. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S8542
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
The Bob White routine is excellent, but so too is the other classic book by Dariel Fitzkee called 'Rings In Your Fingers' - it runs anywhere between $30-$40/USD, depending on where you get it from. It is complete with everything from the basics all the way through some more advanced routines.

When your budget allows, I also recommend both the Levent DVD set and the Pete Biro book.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
The routine Bob performs at the start of his DVD is basically Vernon's Symphony of the Rings. Bob does it exceptionally well and has extra tips and touches he has added. This DVD is a Masterclass by a top pro. His apparent passing the key for examination at the end is a brilliant addition. I have been doing the Vernon routine since 1975 and I learnt a lot from Bob. You have made an excellent investment.

Funny story. Barry Sinclair in Dublin performed the six ring routine he had been taught by Ken Brooke. I had seen him perform it many times and he did it very well.
One day, I decided to go into magician mode and follow the moves. To my surprise, he was also doing the Vernon routine. His presentation was so different to mine I hadn't realised we were both doing the same routine.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Got tired of White. ("Don't hand big old rings to a delicate little debutante." Not an exact quote.) Gave DVD to a young magician.

Essentials in Magic - Linking Rings by Daryl is a steal. He is an excellent teacher.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14631

Chris Capehart's The Rings is a bit pricey for one routine. But classic and well taught.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S18679

Not interested in books, no matter how wonderful they may be.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1753 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2015, gomerel wrote:

Not interested in books, no matter how wonderful they may be.

Oh dear. Admittedly, some books are not at all wonderful, but I've had great results from Hugard's routine in Modern Magic Manual (and also in Greater Magic). I could suggest other books too ... and also one to avoid.

Barry
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10003 Posts

Profile of funsway
Al Schneider's Ring Routine is worth considering as he uses the triple instead of the double.

Several moves can be incorporated into any routine.

Also check out the effect in "Irresistible ..." by Duraty just released (translated by Laurence O)
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
I will resurrect Mark's early recommendation for Whit (Pop) Haydn's 4-ring routine if you are interested in something that does not use the full set of 8 but carries as much or more entertainment than most traditional routines. It's WONDERFUL!

http://www.popsmagic.com/store/p28/Pop_H......DEO.html
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Yes, I recently downloaded Pop's routine. And despite what I said above, I think I may learn it. The main character I do is similar to and inspired by Pop. So why wouldn't I do that routine? It is a bargain at $15.

The routine isn't very hard. Really much more comedy than magic. That's why I have been concentrating on videos that teach the moves.

I LOVE books. They just don't help me with magic. And, yeah, yeah, all the old timers had to work their way through books. I don't have to.