The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Fearson hook-up vs. LeClair Animator. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Guess my vote will be for the Animator cause of it's so versatile and easy to hook-up.
But the Fearson’s hook-up is so great for it's powerful single effects.

Whats your favorite?

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
For walk-around, I use the Le Clair Animator.

For parlor performances, the Ammar and Kevin James hook-up to float and animate a bill.

For stage (with music in the background), the Fearson hook-up to float a lighted ball.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
NeptuneTQ
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of NeptuneTQ
I agree with Benjay there, Leclair for walk around, Fearson for more set up situations.
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Animator hook-up (makes you feel the thread better.) Try it out!
Jack
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Both!

The situation depends on my method used. I have a credit card wallet with a loop, and several kinds of IT (blue, black & brown) wrapped around cards. Depending on the shirt I'm wearing (one of my favorites is my silk paisley you see in my avatar), and the atmosphere.

Lighting is critical. I avoid IT more often than not, but when I see an opportunity, I steal away someplace private and hook up. It's then I decide which method. Sometimes, with the brown paisley silk shirt, I can get away with brown IT in broad daylight! I just turn so I cast a shadow where I'm "doing the deed", and it's undetectable. The LeClair method is great for that.

At a distance, either will do (or BOTH!). Ever try to do TWO effects at the same time? I'm working on that. Stay tuned.

UPDATE: (Dec 07)

Not as easy as it sounds...I wonder if anyone else is willing to try this...LeClair hook-up AND Fearson hook-up (other hand)...

It's like chewing gum and walking for the first time...LOL!

Doug
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Agree Dougini, adapt threadwork to the conditions that surround you.
I am lucky to be able to perform in dim lighting conditions, and that is a factor that built my self-confidence in the beginning, cause I had my distance, and I knew the thread was impossible to see.

I tend to stick to either Loops or the Animator in most situations, since I often am being asked to perform more or less impromptu while I’m at work.

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
fengenroll
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
226 Posts

Profile of fengenroll
Hi guys, rookie here.
But is the LeClair Amimator a floating effect? In that case, where can I get more knowledge about it?
F. Smile
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Hello fengenroll,
The Jon Leclair Animator is a Hook-up for use of Invisible Thread.
Mr. LeClair is a skilled thread magician, and he has
marketed this Animator through a book and a video/DVD called "Who’s afraid of Invisible Thread". They are found at most fine magic dealers.
But my advice to you, if you want great knowledge about the magic of IT, you should go for Michael Ammar’s Thread Miracles vol.1-3 DVD`s.
By far the most all around thread series there is to date.
He teaches many different hook-ups, lighting conditions, loops, ITR, routines and much, much more...

Hope you get started doing thread work.

Good luck!

-e-
Mark Young
View Profile
New user
south florida
33 Posts

Profile of Mark Young
LeClair all the way. Better FEEL for what is going on with your hook-up. Packs flat, plays big, etc.

Mark
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
Hi guys, I know about the Fearson hook up thanks to his floating cigarette routine I bought. I also know other ways of using IT thanks to a trick I purchased at a store in Las Vegas (floating dollar.) What I don't know is about the setup for LeClair Animator. I'm not trying to get anything for free or anything, I just want to know how different to the ones I already have it is, and how much could this improve my IT tricks. Maybe I already know it but by different name. Thanks!
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Definitely Fearson’s. Smile
fengenroll
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
226 Posts

Profile of fengenroll
Silly question,
Where can I get information on the Fearson Hook-up??
F.
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
Hi fengenroll, you can get it at downloadmagic.com and under the name of floating cigarette routine. It's great!
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Quote:
Dougini wrote:
UPDATE: (Dec 07)

Not as easy as it sounds...I wonder if anyone else is willing to try this...LeClair hook-up AND Fearson hook-up (other hand)...

It's like chewing gum and walking for the first time...LOL!

Doug

Any further update, Doug? I'm really interested in what you've accomplished / discovered.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17424 Posts

Profile of joseph
Do you go with the LeClair IT, or do you have your own preferences? LeClair has an inexpensive source, good for about 2 million performances. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Quote:
On 2004-01-13 07:30, joseph wrote:
Do you go with the LeClair IT, or do you have your own preferences? LeClair has an inexpensive source, good for about 2 million performances. Smile

I like the elasticity of the IT LeClair recommends. It helps a lot with the brutal subtleties of my handling. If you are familiar with Fearson, he recommends another type. I've used it also. Not as friendly to me for the reason stated. Each are equally suited for the work and as easily stripped. You can acquire both types for small dollars and almost never need to buy them again.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Blindbo,

Doing both methods at the same time is a daunting task, to say the least...but if you're really into IT work, I can see the possibilities! I've wasted quite a bit, just experimenting...I think I need a bigger mirror, you know, one of those "mural" mirrors! Standing in front of the bathroom mirror doesn't cut it... Smile

Doug
ykstem
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of ykstem
Anyone else, in addition to Eirik, use loops for floating bill? I love how thin and invisible regular IT is, and I love how smooth the handling w/an itr can be, but I have found loops - even though it is a little thicker than both IT and the itr thread - to be the easiest to use in a performance situation, where you are going straight from one effect to another. almost no setup or "anchoring", easy to get out of.

My concern of course is with visibility - I perform under some sharp lights, but, I am hoping that wearing a dark, patterned shirt, and the fact that the audience is sitting at least 5 or 6 feet away, makes up for that.
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
Can someone recommend a good source for learning about loops? I know the Fearson's hookup and the LeClair animator, but nothing about loops...
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Guys, PM Eirik, he has been attending lectures hosted by Finn Jon(inventor of the Loops).
He has knowlege on this subject, I know, cause he gave me nice directions on alternative handeling.
Jack. Smile
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..