The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Spider Pen Pro (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rules of the Game
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Rules of the Game
Hi all

Just want to let you all know that this is absolute rubbish the web breaks if you sneeze the motor rarely runs and the over all quality is questionable

For $150 its a true rip off stay away from this prop

I have bought 5 reels and all break straight away and you just can not thread them back on

The idea is great but it does not work beware

Cheers

Allan
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
There were some build issues on a number of pens when they first came out, but if you work with a reputable dealer who understands the situation (I recommend Steven's Magic, online) you'll be getting a great tool. Try to exchange yours, and have the new one checked before it is sent out to you.

As to the thread, it is good thread. Takes significant time and practice to get used to working with it. I love mine.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
alpen32
View Profile
New user
austria
9 Posts

Profile of alpen32
I am with you, allan!
the motor of my pen don't stopping, it runs all the time......the pen of a good buddy of mine also, so it is not a single caracter.
fot that money its a shame!
but the thread stops breaking after practising it for a time - its a matter of handling.
best wishes - chris
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
This is such a great prop if only the bugs was
worked out before the release.For some it works
right out of the box.But also theres a lot of people
that have problems from the get go too.
Todd
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1534 Posts

Profile of rowland
There is a long thread on the Café about the pen I suggest you read it, It may help. if you are new to thread work the thread will break it takes quite a lot of practice to get the feel for it. Don't give up if the pen is faulty return it, when you have it working it is an amazing piece of kit.
James Kellogg III
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
117 Posts

Profile of James Kellogg III
I am sorry to hear that your spider pen isn't working well if you would have bought it from me (3 Generations of Magic) I would gladly have taken care of you and changed it out. The thread should not break that easy because of the motor tension and the pens that I have sold to all my customers have been very satisfied.
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of RussoMagic.com
Love my pen! Yes, the bottom pieces came apart and I had to glue them. And yes, you need some 'harder' wax, but I did break down and bought some pellets from the man. I'm lovin' it.. got mine as a gift (and they paid 100 bucks for it). I havent worked it out in the 'real world' yet, but working on it.
Magician Toronto
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Magician Toronto
Bought my Spider Pen Pro when it first came out and it was defective, replaced it and the bottom writing tip came loose and kept falling out. I decided to keep mine because it works great and no one ever sees the ball point tip part of the pen as it is in your pocket.
Magician Toronto
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Magician Toronto
Just wondering if anyone out there made their own refills for the SPP? And if so, with what kind of thread?
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
I agree with Chessmann. I purchased mine from Steven's magic and they checked to make sure the pen worked before they shipped it.

Steven's Magic will make sure you get a pen that works properly.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Quick question: Can you do the "rising tie" effect using Spider Pen Pro? If the answer is "yes", then how would the hook-up work? Would I put the pen on the back of my jacket and let the thread run above my head and stick the wax to the back of the tie?

Regards,
Mike
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3712 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Probably not. I don't think the thread could handle the weight.

Jim
roguewave
View Profile
New user
IL
88 Posts

Profile of roguewave
I think you actually can replace the kevlar on the trick's reel with Vectra, which might open the possibility. Certainly the stage x2 Vectra could do it, but you'd be sacrificing invisibility.
roguewave
View Profile
New user
IL
88 Posts

Profile of roguewave
Insight, I've been considering this question a little more about the hookup, and I think the method you mention for a hookup is at least worth trying. If you don't want to hook it up to your back though you could use eyeglasses, I think or sunglasses if you don't have a prescription. I suppose any time you'd have sunglasses on would be a bad time for thread work though, to be honest. Try looking into Vectra first ,then try the over the head hookup you mention. If that doesn't work, PM me and we can try and figure it out together.
kollo
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of kollo
For performing Terry Luncefords Ring Flight, does Spider Pen Pro have any advantages for this in comparison to the classical method?
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
More a case of Terry's effect with all the usual advantages of the SP. The hook up for this couldn't possibly get any easier.
vannma
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of vannma
For those who are having trouble getting the motor to work. I noticed one thread said to bend the spring. I have a better idea. Just take a small (half inch x half inch) piece of aluminum foil. Crumple (not tight) into a ball that will fit in the pen (ball diameter should be just smaller than pen diameter). Drop it in the pen on top of the spring. Insert battery. The aluminum foil will conduct the electricity from the battery to the spring. Hope this helps.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Aluminum is not a conductor of electricity. TIN is, and not all 'aluminum' foil is made from aluminum, so check carefully. Also, if you get a battery acid leak on aluminum... you're going to make a massive mess of the pen.

See my thread for a comprehensive review and how to fix the issues with the SPP.

As to the OP; how much experience with thread work do you have? This is NOT a beginner's ITR, and if you don't know how to handle thread, you will break it.

The SPP is a very versatile, worthwhile tool; in the right hands. This is not going to make you a thread expert overnight. IT work takes time, practice and dedication to learn.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
vannma
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of vannma
I am an electrical engineer by trade. Aluminum is a conductor of electricity, just saying (delayed). Wire in mobile homes and utility trailers are made of aluminum because it weighs less than copper.
MagicalAlex
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of MagicalAlex
It breaks, just use regular hook up (fearson style)