The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Reel for ring watch wallet (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
I know there are hundreds of threads on the rings watch wallet routine by Tommy Wonder. I'm looking for information on the reel used for the watch portion of the routine. Where can I buy this reel or a similar one?
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
There was a guy at Blackpool (2013) who makes this contraption. He had his booth up on the upper level, and I was marveling at his watch and reel set-up--right out Tommy Wonder's book. I guess he could help you. I think he was Scandinavian, but I can't recall his name--does anyone reading this know?
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Wow I would love his contact info
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
First off you can use any number of reels that you are comfortable using and if you follow the instructions in the book, most can be made to work suitably with this effect.

As far as the dealer who makes this, check with Gay Ljungberg who owns Gycklaren Magic - http://www.gycklaren.com - if he does not have the item ready made, he may be able to point you in the right direction.

You may also check with Harrie's - http://www.harriesmagic.com

I hope this information is useful to you.
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Thanks I emailed both.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have given the name of the reel several times here on the Café for the key ring reel that will work for this.

Search Tommy Wonder trick and Sterling Ring Reel. Search in the Secret Section as well.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I forgot one other dealer before - Hakan Varol - http://www.hakanvarol.de
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1534 Posts

Profile of rowland
I believe the guy who makes the whole package is Auk van dokkum. Please forgive the spelling. Here is a link to his web site
http://www.cupsandballs.nl/
Hope this helps
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Auke van Dokkum does make it, along with a few other Tommy Wonder items (such as the Wandering Chimes, the pom poms and bag for the Wonder Cups & Balls, etc). I have no idea why I never thought of him - he products are superb and as a user of various van Dokkum products, I highly recommend him.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe the "Ring, Watch, and Wallet" can be made by most craft people for much less then $1,105.00 , with a good reel and a little brass from the hardware store along with a Jewelers Saw, one could be made for less then $50.

True it will not most likely be perfect, as a talented Tool and Die Maker, but it will work just like the one in the book.

Here is the Reel that will work perfectly with this trick. It is called the KEY-BAK Self Retracting Key Reel. It is a simple matter to install a locking device with this reel. If you don't like the Kevlar cord, then replace it with 25lb. clear fishing line or higher.

Here is a selection, now you can buy from the manufacture, previously you could not, note that they now come in different lengths, 24", 36", and 48".

http://www.keybak.com/collections/original-key-bak

They changed the design a little with the belt clip, but it is still workable.

http://www.keybak.com/products/original-......closeout

On Sale:

http://www.keybak.com/products/original-......closeout

Here is a belt clip original model, on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Key-Bak-485B-HDK......-content

If you want a powerful reel, this is the company to get them from. They have silver case top as well, but the black will fit for magic purposes, so as not to accidently flash if the coat opens.

Hook this on the Tommy Wonder shoulder harness described in the book, and it will fit perfectly.
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
Yes, Auk van dokkum--that's the guy.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Even though the Key back probably will work. It isn't going to be as silent as what Auk van dokkum makes nor as reliable after hundreds of uses if you perform more than just a few times a month. If you are a working pro and are going to use a real for the Ring Watch and Wallet. The only way to go is what Van Dokum makes and sells. You don't want something that could very easily fail you in say six months or a years time. The Key back will fail you and with in a six to 12 month period. Auk's real is expensive but it will last you for many years and performances.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have to disagree with RS1963, as I have actually owned these reels, and the old Sterling Magic made the best Ring to Key Case in the world. These Reels are near totally silent, and work very well.

Petrick and Mia and Jay Scott Berry have both made, sold, and used Key-Bak reels back in the early 1980's. I don't know how you can make such a statement as you have, without any justification to back up that statement. Jay Scott Berry traveled all over Europe performing with these reels and has even published a book on the use of the reels in his act.

Sorry, but Van Dokum is the reel to worry about, as if it fails, there is no way to fix it. If one makes his own, they can possibly fix it on the fly or have a back up to replace it.

Sorry, but to tell people to buy something just because it costs $1,105.00 is totally ridiculous. Price does not make the device. In magic you don't get what you pay for, by a long shot.

If you are a relative of Van Dokum, it is nice you toot his horn to support him. But please back up your statements for those that don't have the knowledge you have, or what you are referring to in your statements.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I wasn't saying to not make it yourself or to only buy Auk's but. To a working pro that doesn't want to have to worry about what I stated in my original post it is something to consider. So my post was right on the money your rebuttal was not however.

I once owned the ring flight with the key back real. Yes it was good it wasn't that quiet and for use in Tommy's routine I don't feel it is the proper type nor does it have the strength needed for the vanish in the Ring Watch and Wallet.

Have you ever used the key back in job that required you to have several keys attached to it? If so you know that it does not retract fast enough for a vanish of a wristwatch. Changing the line isn't going to help either.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
WOW! I totally do not agree with you.

I also suggest you look up the routine, as it does not "vanish the Ring Watch and Wallet".

It does retract with lighting speed, ask Jay Scott Berry, who used it for to retract his fog gimmicks.

The difference in our disagreement, is that I have used the Reel for what I am speaking about and you are only guessing.

And again you are making statements without justification or explanation of your source material to back up your totally ridiculous comments.

Well, I guess Magicjg is on to other things now anyway, as I note he only comes to the café every several months, I guess he is not interested, but he did cause some discussion.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Did I say it vanishes all the items? We all know that the reel isn't used to vanish all the items. Does that even need to be stated here? NO. I said and I quote this from my exact posting "needed for the vanish in the Ring Watch and Wallet." Notice it reads "NEEDED FOR THE VANISH IN." that is a huge difference from what you claim that I said. You are wanting to argue for the sake of argument. Due to large ego or whatever. This discussion was over before it started with you.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
It has been a few weeks since this thread was posted, but during that time, Stevens Magic Emporium (www.stevensmagic.com) has gotten 10 or 15 complete sets of the Ring, Watch & Wallet sets made by Auke Van Dokkum, and it comes in a beautiful wooden storage/display box. It is not cheap, but it is very much worth the price.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-03-24 11:05, RS1963 wrote:
Did I say it vanishes all the items? We all know that the reel isn't used to vanish all the items. Does that even need to be stated here? NO. I said and I quote this from my exact posting "needed for the vanish in the Ring Watch and Wallet." Notice it reads "NEEDED FOR THE VANISH IN." that is a huge difference from what you claim that I said. You are wanting to argue for the sake of argument. Due to large ego or whatever. This discussion was over before it started with you.

I find it interesting that because you cannot open your mind up to other less expensive choices, you start to attack people. I am not arguing, I am saying there are other choices. I guess you are so rich, you cannot understand that. That is okay, but that does not mean I what to argue.

You can now order this from Stevens Magic. You can now give us a review.
roguewave
View Profile
New user
IL
88 Posts

Profile of roguewave
I just can't imagine clear fishing line giving anyone the experience they want.
roguewave
View Profile
New user
IL
88 Posts

Profile of roguewave
I now realize that it totally depends on what you want the r**l or r*tr*ctor for. There are plenty of reasons a fishing line could work. Sorry for being obtuse.