The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: The Pea Can Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
I saw this on the 'wall' at ye old magic shop and I have to say its brand of humor appealed to me.

Basically you have a round cylinder which you open to display three peas (on black, one yellow, and one black eyed). You show them to the spectator and then place them back in the container and have the spectator mentally select one. Then you explain wouldn't it be cool if the pee they are thinking of is the only one that comes out. You have them think hard on thier select pea while chanting 'I want my pea, I want my pea, I want my pea'.

You open the can and pour the contents out into thier hand only to have some warm water come out (colored yellow).

"oh no... I don't think you wanted that kind of pee!"

Smile

Anyone do this effect, maybe in a bar setting or something? Have any advice or stories to tell?
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
It's a VERY old effect. For a more versatile routine (meaning you can do it anywhere), check out Scotty York's marketed version available from Denny & Lee's Magic Studio.

Regards, Larry D.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Second vote for the York routine here. Also, play with the gimmick...there's all sorts of small things you could switch that would be magical, funny, AND tasteful.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
I searched the site but came up empty.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

ChessMess, give Denny a call. His toll free telephone number is on his WEB site. If my memory serves me correctly, Scotty's version is called "The Candy Kiss Machine."

Hi Paul, did you get my PM?

Larry D.
ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
Hehe I guess the marketed part in 'marketed effect' isn't holding up very well. Thanks for the tip. I'm lazy, if a website search and a google search on 'The Candy Kiss Machine' are unable to net me anything.

Thanks for the tip though!

Oh and PenguinMagic.Com has a video demo of this effect, (who would have thought).
theonejimmie
View Profile
New user
Phila., Pa.
54 Posts

Profile of theonejimmie
Michael Close has a good effect using a paper snowball.

Not as shocking as pouring out pee into someone’s hand, but it is all a matter of what your audience will accept.
Smile
ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
I don't really think of the effect as being magical as surely most laymen, with a moments thought, will know how this is done. I think of it as a way to insert a little comedy into a routine.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

ChessMess, I agree that the Pea Can is not in the miracle class, but there are some effects you can perform with it that are more magical than others you can perform with it, and Scotty York's routine is pretty magical relatively speaking.

Larry D.
Magicol-1
View Profile
New user
Orlando
90 Posts

Profile of Magicol-1
You might want to think about this adaptation.
http://www.vikingmagic.com/cgi-bin/dc.pl......nosearch
ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
Now that is one expensive pea can! Smile

Smile

Thanks for the link!
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
532 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Presentation idea for grown ups:

First get a small shot glass, the smallest you can find.
If you perform in a bar, talk to the bartender!
Put some water in the bottom of the pea can as usual.

When it's show time. give a spectator a small piece of paper, and ask her/him to say out loud and write down her/his favourite drink and make a small bundle of the piece of paper.
Remove the cork from the pea can and pocket it. Tell the spectator to put the now bundled up piece of paper into the pea can.
Then ask for a coin, a penny etc.(it must at least be the size of the opening of the pea can). Place it over the opening.
Abracadabra, remove the coin (and the gimmick). Pocket it. This is a natural thing to do, it´s money, right? Pour the water into the small glass.

" ...and here is your favorite drink! Please taste it! What, water? Well what did you expect, for 25 cents??"

And now it is time for you to produce the drink she/he wrote down on the paper!

How?
Do the trick in a bar. make sure the bartender pays attention. If he is a pro he'll know what to do. If not, tell him (and pay him) earlier the same evening!
You could of course magically produce the drink (rubber cover etc) but a fresh newly made drink from the bar is better!

Have fun!